cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returned phone that doesn't work

Hello! I sold a phone as "For Parts", even though it worked perfectly fine. The only thing wrong was that the back glass was cracked. Anyway, the buyer returned it as "defective item". I accepted the return and when I received it, the phone would not power on or anything. It is definitely not the same condition that I sent it in. I know it worked, too, because of conversations we had after his receiving it. It's a brick now. What are my options? I haven't refunded the money yet. Am I protected in any way? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

No seller protection for snad phones unless you are in free returns, then you could deduct part of the refund.While you listed it as for parts, you also said it 'works great'...........

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what a "snad phone" is, but it was listed as USED and it did work great when he received it. Now that it is back with me, it doesn't even turn on.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@merjoshd  Unfortunately you must refund 100% when a buyer SAYS  an item is not as described.  

If you don't refund willingly then Ebay will force a refund and you won't  get your sellers fees back and you'll get  a defect . 

Once you get the phone back , after you refund,  you can report the buyer for abusing the mbg.   This doesn't get you your money back but it goes on the buyers record .

As the other responder said if you had offered free returns then you  could  have refund up to 50% off of the full price 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Doesnt matter if it said 'used',your listing said 'works great',snad is significantly not as described.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@merjoshd wrote:

Now that it is back with me, it doesn't even turn on.

Could be the reason they returned it.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@merjoshd wrote:

1188 Apple iPhone 8 Plus - 64GB - Space Gray (Unlocked) - Cracked Back. Condition is For parts. Works great and is verified with Sprint to be unlocked.

Back is cracked, which is easy and cheap to fix, but I just kept a case on it and never noticed!

If you had left out that Works great statement, you would have 95% been off the hook for a return.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply