cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer opened return request due to not reading

I sold some golf clubs. All included clubs were listed in the decription and were shipped. The buyer opened a return request saying a 9 iron is missing and wants one shipped to him. The sale did not include a 9 iron. Should I call Ebay and see if they will look at the listing and the message my buyer sent me and try to get them to close the case out? I did message the buyer asking him to close the case since he is asking for something not included in the sale. Waiting for reply from him. This is my first case where buyer is asking for something not included in the listing. Thanks for advice or help.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Buyer opened return request due to not reading

I'd wait to hear from the buyer and hopefully once you point it out they will close the return.

If that turns out to not be the case, I would call ebay and ask them to look at the situation and they *should* force the buyer to pay for return shipping (since it looks like you accept returns ebay will require you to accept it).    Unfortunately upon return you will not be able to withhold original shipping or charge a restock fee.  But hopefully the buyer will simply close the return on their own. 

One other thing:  if you do the above and the buyer pays return shipping, you will receive a "case closed without seller resolution defect" but it should be removable upon request.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Well, did the buyer open a SNAD case or just a normal return? If it's the former, you may have a problem. If its the Adams Insight XTD right hand iron set, it could be a SNAD because you said "set" in the title.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

BTW, if you take returns, you take returns for any reason. Hopefully its a buyers remorse return and not SNAD. If its the latter, it might not be cost effective to get the clubs back. I would change my return policy to "No Returns" ASAP to avoid such situations.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Here is what was on the request: 

The buyer requested a return because there's something wrong with the item.Please take action by Aug 29.Your PayPal funds from this purchase will be unavailable while this request is open.If you prefer you can automatically approve the return or automatically issue refunds based on specific conditions. To set up or view your return rules go here.

Info from the buyer

Reason

Missing parts or pieces

Comments

I received my order but the 9 iron is missing. Please get back to me when you would be able to ship the missing item".

A set of clubs can be any make up of clubs not just a specific numerical count. Item description does not include a nine iron. The pictures show included items. I don't have a problem with returning. But,I think maybe the buyer should pay return shipping. He first messaged me asking for me to ship a nine iron but opened a return request before I could reply to his first message.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Just respond to the case:

"The transaction does not include a 9 iron.  The buyer is asking for something not included in the listing.  The buyer is welcome to return the order at his expense."

Then wait for the buyer to decide if a return is worth the effort and expense.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@golfman4949 wrote:

Here is what was on the request: 

The buyer requested a return because there's something wrong with the item.Please take action by Aug 29.Your PayPal funds from this purchase will be unavailable while this request is open.If you prefer you can automatically approve the return or automatically issue refunds based on specific conditions. To set up or view your return rules go here.

Info from the buyer

Reason

Missing parts or pieces

Comments

I received my order but the 9 iron is missing. Please get back to me when you would be able to ship the missing item".

A set of clubs can be any make up of clubs not just a specific numerical count. Item description does not include a nine iron. The pictures show included items. I don't have a problem with returning. But,I think maybe the buyer should pay return shipping. He first messaged me asking for me to ship a nine iron but opened a return request before I could reply to his first message.

You have a SNAD return (which I assumed so). You're kind of between a rock and a hard place. EBay has made it VERY clear that if you have ANY return policy and a fraudulent SNAD return is opened against you, you have to accept the return. You have 3 days to fight the return. I would get on the phone and call eBay and ask them to close the case because the buyer is asking for something that is not included in the listing and see if they will (doubtful). I would do this every day until the case is about to timeout. Try to get a US CS Rep. You can tell a non US rep typically because of an accent or the have a hard time understanding basic eBay policy. BEFORE Aug 29 (to the minute), you have to make a decision. Since golf clubs are costly to ship, I would offer a partial of say 30% and see what happens (in this case). If its the clubs I mentioned earlier, there is not much wiggle room for you. If you pay return shipping, you're out that PLUS the original shipping so you have to make the best of it. Good Luck.

Remember:
1. EBay CS Rep's are less then knowledgeable (i.e. don’t trust what they say)
2. Do NOT let a case Timeout
3. Do NOT ask eBay to "Step in" (aka “help you” aka escalate)
4. ALWAYS get the reference number of the phone call, mark down the date and time
5. If the eBay CS Rep claims to have put notes in the case, have them emailed to you.
6. Never escalate a case unless you can get eBay to close it in your favor right then and there.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

BTW, there is always the chance you can buy that 9 iron on eBay and drop ship it, but that is not without its own risks.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Thanks. I will call them.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@golfman4949 wrote:

Thanks. I will call them.

Your best time to call is AM PST to get a US rep. Good Luck

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

BTW, if you take returns, you take returns for any reason. Hopefully its a buyers remorse return and not SNAD. If its the latter, it might not be cost effective to get the clubs back. I would change my return policy to "No Returns" ASAP to avoid such situations.

I disagree.  

In the long run, it is better to have a return policy as a seller. 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

I disagree.  

We agree to disagree. If the OP had a No Returns policy, they would have a VERY GOOD chance of winning this SNAD claim. Right now, eBay enforces a return policy as ANY return is fine, even fraudulent.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@phcd1 wrote:

@green-night wrote:

I disagree.  

We agree to disagree. If the OP had a No Returns policy, they would have a VERY GOOD chance of winning this SNAD claim. Right now, eBay enforces a return policy as ANY return is fine, even fraudulent.

I agree. Having an official return policy just mucks everything up. This would be a slam dunk in the seller's favor if they didn't have that return policy.  THEN they could say they will go ahead and take a return if the buyer wants to send it back on their dime.

It's a real shame when buyers can't be honest.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

OP's situation is a rare bird.    If the OP had a No Return policy and the buyer opened the exact same SNAD and just ommited mentioning a 9 iron the OP would be on the hook entirely.    In my experience most buyers are honest about reason for return, however, many buyers overlook the fact a seller has a No Return policy and upon deciding they want to return and finding out they can't, they might then decide to be dishonest when they otherwise would be. 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

OP's situation is a rare bird.    If the OP had a No Return policy and the buyer opened the exact same SNAD and just ommited mentioning a 9 iron the OP would be on the hook entirely.    In my experience most buyers are honest about reason for return, however, many buyers overlook the fact a seller has a No Return policy and upon deciding they want to return and finding out they can't, they might then decide to be dishonest when they otherwise would be. 

It's not that rare. I had a similar fraudulent SNAD back in Nov 2016 (not the only one I had either) where the buyer claimed the item did not come with the original box. It was CLEARLY pointed out in the listing that the item did NOT come with the original box. It was even listed in the right eBay condition as "New - Other" where eBay clearly states the "item may be missing the original packaging". All that was posted (on this id) how I had to fight tooth and nail with eBay and in the end, even get a defect removed because of their advice. You can read it, its 20 pages or so but I'm sure you read it at that time. What's keeping the OP from having a winning case is a return policy, nothing more.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply