cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer in CA hasn't received package yet. Assumes it's lost and wants refund.

Sent an item to a buyer in San Francisco, CA by FedEx.  The package hasn't been delivered yet and now has no estimate deliver date.  The original estimated deliver date was two days ago, 3/19.  The package has been in San Francisco and is still since 3/19.  Today, 3/21, the buyer messages me a message assuming the package is lost as their isn't a delivery date and wants a refund.  They and can't get ahold of FedEx and thinks I can just refund them and claim insurance.

What I'm I supposed to do?  I responded to them the tracking number and to be patient as there is currently delivery days and will be delivered as soon as they can.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Buyer in CA hasn't received package yet. Assumes it's lost and wants refund.

eBay is aware of late packages can happen. Ask him to wait under the conditions. Otherwise he gets the package and his payment.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Re: Buyer in CA hasn't received package yet. Assumes it's lost and wants refund.

That is exactly my concern that they get the package and their money back.  I could always refund them and try recalling the item back but I have no assurance that will happen.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

You can tell buyer to check with local Fedex office or yourself call Fedex to get status on the package. Keep buyer posting as soon as you hear  from Fedex. If they cannot prove package has been delivered or say its been lost, I would refund the buyer and file claim to carrier. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Currently many mail and package delivery delays...wouldn't hurt to wait a few more days...

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

The buyer opened a not received case.  How am I supposed to responded to it beyond to what I have.  I provided the tracking number again and a brief message to be patient.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I am going thru a similar situation.  I was expecting a delivery from CA to arrive in FL by 3/11 and still don't have it.  I informed the seller that I was willing to wait and didn't blame them.  Every few days there is a tracking update, but it's just taking an incredibly long time now.  

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

sorry to learn of the INR case being opened... impatient buyer...

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Do not respond until the day you have to and hope it shakes loose and shows delivered- see if it shakes loose by then (buyers are given 4 days before they can 'escalate' and you are shown you need to respond by XX date, so wait till then. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Was this package insured?  There are mail delays in their area. Can you intercept the package?   I would not refund without more information.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

To me the buyer jumped the gun and is being unreasonable and impatient during a trying time for the whole world. I would try to get a hold of Fedex again (phone, live chat and/or email are all options) to get a new date. If they can't provide a new date, I would ask they return the package and refund the buyer.

In my experience Fedex is the most unreliable service of the big 3 (USPS, UPS and Fedex). I've had packages get delayed for no reason for 3 weeks with Fedex. I only use them when buyers request it, on a different selling platform.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Send this to your California buyer:

https://newsroom.fedex.com/newsroom/coronavirus/

Remind him that California has essentially shut down. FedEx is indeed delivering later than expected as is UPS.

He's being too impatient.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

You as a seller also have protections in place. If you have provided a valid tracking number as proof of shipment then the seller is just going to have to wait on his item to arrive.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I think it helps that you are in communication with the seller. When my pkg never arrived despite the USPS tracking number stating it did (usps gps confirmed it went to another address), and ebay denying my claim as a result, it was just another insult to injury that the seller never replied to my several messages. Seller knew he was 'covered' I suppose.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Same here, dropped off at Fedex shipping location that is business also on day of Shelter in place, 3-14. Tracking had not moved. Called and they said tracking was in their system. Was not sure if picked up... Tracking still only says I printed postage.

Now buyer wants refund. Have been back if forth explaining situation. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply