cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer fraud

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sold an item and buyer sent an email saying it arrived without a major part, the ballst. I emailed the buyer back through  my messages and stated that I personally tested the ballst and it was there and I requested photos of the " non existant major part. Never got photos but a message saying "all is well and ok, fixture working". 7 says later buyer emails me stating that the fixture stopped working. He stated after I requested photos that he replaced the ballast with an "external ballast and different socket". In other words he altered the fixture significantly.  I asked him that I thought he stated there was no ballast and he came back and said he never said that.  I emailed him his original email stating there was no ballast and he stated that he did not care and wanted his money back anyway. Ebay took the return shipping out of my account without my permsioan and he sent the fixture back to me, altered and rendered inoperable.  After I explained the admitted lies of the buyer in his own ebay messages and the altered fixture, they sent him a "courtesy refund" of the entire amout even with his admitted lies and alteration of the item. 10 years on Ebay and they have resorted to supporting  scammers and liars.

Now, I am stuck with an inoperative fixture and selling and return shipping fees on my account. Amazon  and Etsy are looking better everyday.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Buyer fraud

Sorry to hear that you got defrauded by the buyer.  I have been a seller since 1996.  As a power seller I had my share of fraud by buyers. Unfortunately, over the last couple of years buyer fraud has run rampant.   I sell collectible toys, figures, and cards.  I automatically assume 1 in 100 purchases will be fraud or buyer remorse.  The buyer will return product as "not as described".  As of recent Buyer fraud is averaging 1 in 50.  This has finally affected my bottom line.  Every couple of weeks buyers are reporting missing pieces, item is broken, item is not as described.  Even though there is some seller protection; you are almost never going to be protected for the following.  What the buyer doesn't really know is I always do is a visual check and inspection of all of my items I sell if there is no factory seal or tape before I ship.  What is happening to me is that I have a near perfect rating so buyer know that I sell products that are new and in accurate condition.  Many of the unscrupulous buyers claiming not as described by switching items out for my new item and reporting the item is damaged or used.  Some of the items returned are in such poor condition that it is obvious that it has been switched out.   My selling history is clear that I have never had issues in the past until recently.  In the past,  most returns were buyers remorse.  Now it is flat out fraud.  

Here is the problem I have been reporting to ebay that the item was returned not in the condtition described with judgements against me.  In two cases I accepted the items back with piece missing or minor damaged.  Items were factory new when I sent them.  I have sold many of each item without single incident. What I got back was a item(s) that were clearly used or package torn and tatered even though the customer said her/she never opened the item.  Under seller protection I as a seller should be protected.  I have a 99.8 percent.  One negative from a buyer who claimed a damage and tried to swap out a piece.  The piece he tried to return had rusted joints.  I tried to issue a refund but he had already given me a negative. What I was told by CS is that Ebay does not know what the condition of the item is in when I sent it. I have no proof that my item was or was not in the condition described as new. I was informed that they will side with the buyer if there is no real issues reported against the buyer history.  I was informed that since I am a power seller I should calculate an assumed a risk/loss in my business model if I do business on Ebay.  I was pist when the CS told me this.  I sell many items that are 200-500 each.  My business model can take a hit once in a while but lately it is literally  every two weeks that I get a claim. Over the few months I have had over a $1000 in fraud claims.   I even had a buyer defraud me and not even return the product.   Customer filed a claim forced a refund without even returning the product ($180 new figure).  I had to file a dispute with Ebay Superviser just to get my money back.  Not a single thing happed to the buyer.  On top that I have  had and average of 1 cancellation every week on products from buyers who decided they don't want the product. Some legitimate excuses and some totally ignorant excuses. All of which I agree to cancel or accept return on my dime.  It has gotten progressively worse over the last 6 month alone. 

Many sellers are thinking of going over to Amazon; "don't".  Their "risk/fraud" is even worse.  Amazon policy will take anything back for any reason and they are quick to kick you off if you do accept returns.  Amazon has created this return policy and this virus has passed on to Ebay buyers.  Buyers have gotten use to the idea that they can return, switchout, damage items and return it for any reason they want.   It is a losing battle my fellow Ebay sellers. 

On the other side there are just as many unethical sellers on Ebay who add to the problem.  They screw a buyer and the honest buyer in return becomes angry and screws a honest seller.   They learn how to work the system.

Good luck and good selling Ebay Sellers!

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Start reporting those fraudulent buyers for mail fraud and file a theft case with the police station. Then appeal to Ebay providing those report numbers. Time to start holding all the lying buyers accountable!
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

file a complaint with the better business bureau on ebay. I have done this several times when I had message proof that the buyer altered the item/damaged the item, etc... and ebay still refunded the buyer the money. lost over $300 when a buyer said the item didnt work, but sent it back damaged then claimed he recieved it damaged but tried to use it anyway. lost over $100 when a buyer said an item didnt work but through messages claimed it didnt fix his problem but filed the item as defective. got my money back on both cases through the BBB.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The bottom line is simple. eBay is doing anything it can to attract buyers, and is doing all of it at sellers expense. eBay needs new buyers to grow and meet shareholder expectations. Everyone seems so shocked that eBay isn't helping them. eBay is looking out for eBay and no one else. The changes over the last couple of years are not going away and there will be more changes to come and they will not be favorable to sellers. We as sellers are financing eBay's free shipping campaign as well as the new free returns. If you say well I don't have to opt in your right but your position in search results and overall sales are going to suffer. Another little tidbit is the new promoted listings option. Give up another 4.6% or so to see your item better positioned. Well this looks like a fee raise with out an announcement. Hold on, its going to get worse as eBay flounders about.  Google shopping anyone?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply