cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer damaged item

I sent out a purse that was in GUC.  It was exactly as described.  The lining was not ripped when I sent it out, and now the buyer is claiming the lining is ripped.  I inspected that purse inside and out before I sent it.....the rip was NOT there.  

Of course, ebay will favor the buyer....where is the justice here?  

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Buyer damaged item

@alexx8-2009 wrote:

I sent out a purse that was in GUC.  It was exactly as described.  The lining was not ripped when I sent it out, and now the buyer is claiming the lining is ripped.  I inspected that purse inside and out before I sent it.....the rip was NOT there.  

Sounds like you don't really need to ask that question

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Buyer damaged item

what you can do is to get the return item from buyer and file a claim with USPS for damaging item so you can recover some money, and report the buyer ! otherwise no other solution.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Buyer damaged item

@alexx8-2009 wrote:

eBay's policies for a Not as Described (Money Back Guarantee) is that you accept the bag back, and deal with eBay once it is received. 

The rip could be teeny, or not existent.   With a "no returns" listing, a buyer can always find something wrong with a used item - it is impossible to fully detail the condition - in order to activate the MBG and get a return.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Buyer damaged item

@uniwarehousewares wrote:
what you can do is to get the return item from buyer and file a claim with USPS for damaging item so you can recover some money, and report the buyer ! otherwise no other solution.

I don't see where this would be a USPS damage issue, and thus a waste of time to file a claim with USPS ... the "liner" inside the bag is damaged.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Buyer damaged item

@orangehound wrote:

The rip could be teeny, or not existent.   With a "no returns" listing, a buyer can always find something wrong with a used item - it is impossible to fully detail the condition - in order to activate the MBG and get a return.

Who knows, they could have just "rented" the item for an evening.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Buyer damaged item

Did the buyer send you pictures of this ripped lining? As others stated likely just a rental and now they want a return on your dime of course. Approve the return, you will NOT win fighting before the return and could lose the money and the purse. Once it comes back will determine your next step. If it is a valuable purse do not use EBay's automated label but purchase your own if needing a Priority label.

If it comes back fine and they simply lied then you can take the pictures and appeal to Ebay to possibly get your return shipping credited. Make sure and report the buyer for abusing the MBG using the 'report a buyer link'. Contrary to what people think eventually Ebay does kick some people out of that, I had a buyer once who was not covered as she abused it and was at my mercy pretty much.

If the purse comes back damaged I would ask the buyer if the box was damaged when they received it, even though we all know the lining wouldn't be damaged without the outside likely being damaged as well. Let them know you did not send a damaged purse and will be opening a USPS investigation for a insurance clam, if you sent it Priority, and need their cooperation with the Post Office.

If they send you back an empty box or a completely different purse file at ic3.gov reporting them for internet crime, report them to the postal inspector for mail fraud and file a police report. Some police stations won't or are too busy but sometimes I think Ebay will insist in a fraud type situation. Appeal to Ebay using those case #'s and report buyer in that instance as well.

Sadly some buyers will intentionally damage an item to have a valid claim. I hope they just lie so at the very least you can resell it albeit the slight headache of it all. It's far better option then the other 2 happening. Just increase the price to offset the cost of the original shipping cost you lost on if Ebay credits you for the return shipping. If that is the case and you get a bad CSR just hang up and try again. Sometimes you have to literally hold their feet to the fire and reiterate their own policies back at them because they'll talk out both sides of their mouth. Good luck!
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Buyer damaged item

Thank you so very much for the encouraging words. Yes..she did take pics of the tear which was NOT there when I sent it out. Do these buyers have any conscience? It is very sad. Now she is whining about the label. Sadly, the seller will never come out ahead with eBay ALWAYS siding with the buyer. Unfortunately, I had another idiot claim the Anna Beck ring I sent her was used and damaged. It was absolutely a brand new ring! That goofball took pics of another ring that looked tarnished....it was a sterling silver ring, with no tarnish when I sent it out to her. She lied and abused the MBG policy for her buyers remorse. Then the dumba$$ left negative FB to bring my 100% FB down to 97.1! I was livid! Not only did she damage my FB rating, but she also damaged my credibility as a seller! Ebay is just as guilty as those buyers....they are ZERO HELP! We all work very hard to satisfy our customers, and we have absolutely no one to back us up! We as a community need to do something about these fraudulent buyers. For the most part, my buyers are wonderful and an absolute joy to sell to.....these others ruin it for every seller! Thank God, KARMA does exist and hopefully it will come back to bite them in the a$&.
Also...we should have a class action lawsuit against them because of the GTC policy. They have absolutely no right to charge us an automatic listing charge with little or no notice! This is unacceptable!
Ebay has turned into a frickin circus!
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Buyer damaged item

From here it  seems your response to the neg FB could  have used some polishing up or it was  best not to say anything at all.

Unfortunately when one  deals over the internet  it is very difficult to prove ones position - like stating was no tear when I shipped or the buyer  stating  yes there was  see my picture.  A third party will generally  side with the buyer.   Teh  best  policy a a seller  can  follow is 'when  in doubt do what is  right.  I was a sales person for 41  years.  Be as it  may some people will take advantage of a situation - like  some one told me  a long time ago "there are just some people that will lie a little, cheat a little but  they will be  very sincere about."  This will happen on any on line selling site and at the Customer Service sat your  favorite  B & M retail store or hand shake  business  dealing with a friend, family or neighbor - there is no Utopia.    Some times  life is not fair but you  just  have to deal with it.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Buyer damaged item

Hello,

I have the same thing going on.  I sent a purse in great condition and the buyer now says there is peeling on the finish of the purse on the handles.  I talked with eBay today and they of course want sellers to refund the item even if the buyer damaged it.  They said I could open a partial value case and recover some money if damaged?  Do you have any information on that?  I'm so frustrated. I can't resell a damaged purse and it was sold in great condition.

Thanks,

Carole

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Buyer damaged item

Your feedback reply makes you look worse than the feedback itself. Feedback replies exist to comfort future buyers who are the most likely to read them. Not to spank bad buyers or to "warn" your competitors.  It certainly should not exist for retaliation or name-calling. 

Good buyers are the only people who will likely see what you have said in time for it to be useful. You need to be mindful of what you are telling them. It is certainly within your rights to soil your own feedback but it's really not good for business. It drives good future buyers away.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Buyer damaged item

Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL, I had a buyer take apart a dishwasher motor, steal the brushes from it, then claim it didn't work. In my case I was lucky, because I asked the buyer, after apologizing of course, what exactly was wrong with the new motor.

The buyer immediately said the brushes were bad on the new motor. So I asked him to provide pictures as proof.

ALWAYS ask the buyer for pictures of the damage!

The buyer opened up the motor and took pictures, of the good brushes! But at least now I had pictures of the motor brushes.

Of course, ebay sided with the buyer and he sent back the item; his old motor.

I opened it up, took pictures of the old, burned out motor, and uploaded that to ebay and asked them to compare the picture with the one the buyer uploaded.

ebay reversed the claim.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Buyer damaged item

Has the buyer opened a return? As stated above you may as well approve it because there is no way of winning before the return is sent back. If anything Ebay will refund that buyer and allow them to keep the item and give you a big fat defect for noncompliance for not accepting the return.

Sadly there isn't much you can do if a buyer intentionally damages an item unless you can trip them up in their own words and they stupidly admit to it or show pictures proving it arrived fine and got damaged while in their care. Ebay will ALWAYS take the word of the buyer over yours, EVERY TIME! They will tell you it is the cost of doing business basically and that should be factored into your business model. Same as larger stores do for shoplifting basically.

What I would do, always respond politely and not accusatory, but ask if the shipping box was damaged. I would ask for pictures of the box and of the purse stating you are sorry this happened but you did not send out a damaged purse. Usually buyers just rent things like this and will lie and ultimately you can re-sell it. If it is an expensive purse I would insure it, or if the original shipment was insured inform the buyer you will be opening a USPS investigation for a insurance claim and ask for their cooperation with the Post Office.

Hopefully they are just lying so you can resell it. If they are when you receive it back I would certainly report the buyer to Ebay for abusing the MBG. If the purse isn't actually damaged you may be able to appeal to get the return shipping credit. Best of luck!
Message 13 of 13
latest reply