cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer asks for Partial Refund for Repair

I recently sold a used computer Graphics card on Ebay. The buyer received the item and contacted me 1 week later stating that it hast overheating problem. He's asking for a partial refund so that he can have it service. Even though I tested and confirm no issues with the item and listed the item as no returns and AS-IS, I told him to return the item. Initially he asked for $30, he now asks for $20 after I told him to return the item.

My question is this; If I issue a partial refund can he take further action against me? I'm afraid he might come back and say that the repair costs $60 dollar and I need to issue him another refund. 

Does Ebay consider the case close once a partial refund is issue?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

In this case your mantra should be "Return for refund."

Lather, rinse, repeat.

End of story.

Do not feed into the partial fishers. It helps no one.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Ask the buyer to detail exactly what in involved in correcting an overheating problem that started costing only $30 to repair and now only costs $20 - a third less to repair.

And ask them what their definition of "as is" means to them.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@skysoblue987wrote: 

Does Ebay consider the case close once a partial refund is issue?

Was a formal return request opened?

Or did you mean "case" as in "matter"?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

A formal return request was opened and I accepted his return.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@skysoblue987wrote:

A formal return request was opened and I accepted his return.

Wait for him to return it then refund. Don't give a partial. If he really wants to keep the card he'll just go away.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for your replies. I need to send him a shipping label. Should I use Ebay's auto generated shipping label? I asked the customer representative if it comes with signature confirmation and she says no; its not $750 or over.

I can buy another Ebay's non auto generated label and attached it to the return request. It's going to be more expensive but I'm willing to pay if its safer.

Which method is safest?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

If it was expensive and you want to insure it in case of loss or damage during transit then buy a label at paypal.com/shipnow

If you don't care about the insurance then use the eBay auto-generated label.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Use eBay's label ... it is the best way to control costs if you are a small seller or small business.

Also, repairing a graphics card for overheating?  About the only cost-effective "repair" is to buy some canned air and clear out the dust ...

Message 9 of 9
latest reply