cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Requests refund on shipping when shipping was FREE

So here is something I have never encountered - I sold an item for $9.99 / free shipping.  I made a mistake in the listing indicating Priority Shipping instead of First Class.  I did not think anything about it when the item sold as it was free shipping to the customer regardless of the way it was shipped.  The seller received the item the same time as Priority (it was a flat envelope and traveled from Georgia to California).  The buyer is requesting a refund for half of priority shipping.  He did not pay for any shipping, either Priority or First Class.  I sent him a very nice note indicating that it was free shipping and no refund is due because he did not pay any additional shipping.  I have not heard back as of yet, but I have an uncomfortable feeling about this.  In my head, when I listed it, I knew it would travel first class - I was listing a variety of items that day and simply made a mistake and did not change the postage to first class - but again, as it was free, I did not think it would matter.  Am I responsible for refunding him money for shipping on a "free shipping" item?

Message 1 of 107
latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

Re: Buyer Requests refund on shipping when shipping was FREE

You seem to be trying to bait me. It won't work. This board is child's play compared to the CBS Big Brother chat. Trust me, I have been baited by the best of them. It didn't work then and it won't work now. (I really did like the block option on the BB chat.):grin  I really have tried to explain my point of view over and over probably more than I should have. Maybe you should re-read the thread to find the info you want. I am sure that many posters agree that sometimes there just isn't anything else to say.

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404
'They won't get it all, and they won't have it long.'

'You gotta see those creeps crawl...' Echo & the Bunnymen-"Crocodiles'
Message 91 of 107
latest reply

You seem to be trying to bait me. It won't work. This board is child's play compared to the CBS Big Brother chat. 

No idea what that means.

Not trying to bait you, but you sound like you have very little experience as a seller on eBay, maybe online sales in general. 

Message 92 of 107
latest reply

It is true. I am not the most experienced seller but I have been selling since 2006. I started selling a few things on my sister's account and I read the boards for 6 months before I attemped to sell anything on my own. The first thing I sold was an Apple computer. I sold it to a professor in California for 700.00. I mostly sell inventory I make myself so it is no big deal if something gets lost or there is some other kind of problem. I always take care of it. I have 100% positive feedback and am above standard. I will never be a big seller and I like it like that. My buyers are good and I do this for fun. I did have that return on AZ--I sold a zip drive. For some reason, he returned it, it was fine there was nothing wrong with it, he just didnt want it I guess. Anyway, he returned it and I refunded his money. I really dont see why you are so focused on me. I don't know you and I haven't done anything to you. We are all entitled to do business the way we want to or need to so I don't see the problem here. I would appreciate it if you would stop insulting me and move on. Thank you.

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404

Message 93 of 107
latest reply

I don't know you and I haven't done anything to you. We are all entitled to do business the way we want to or need to so I don't see the problem here. I would appreciate it if you would stop insulting me and move on. Thank you.

This is an eBay Disussion Board. 

Sorry if you don't like it. 

Message 94 of 107
latest reply

Ooooooo.....tough guy. There are a lot of those on the BB chat. LOL

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404

Message 95 of 107
latest reply

Message 96 of 107
latest reply

@touchdownarkansas wrote:

Ooooooo.....tough guy. There are a lot of those on the BB chat. LOL

What does that mean?

Message 97 of 107
latest reply

1`st I would report the buyer as he is making demands that are uncalled for. Then I would call eBay and ( online and over the phone "Trust and Safety")report him as he(she) most likely has done this before. Free shipping is free. This will give you recourse of the "dredged negative feedback".  I ship 1st class and priority and 1st class sometimes only takes 2 days as I am in the middle of the country. Free shipping is your prerogative on what kind of shipping you choose. I will leave other types of shipping that they can pay for. You can put down Expedited and then have Priority Shipping that they can pay for. I never put down Priority box or flat rate as that limits you to a type of shipping plus I price it $2 off free shipping.
I always have Express @ $21 or $22 it shows your flexible and only had it 1 time in 10 years. Always report a buyer making unfounded demands as I may have already reported the same buyer as it keeps the playing field just and fair. Your not alone.

Message 98 of 107
latest reply

I am actualy shocked that I have not gotten negative feedback as there are buyers out there that love having the power of taking down a 100% positive feedback score.

If it is just I will defend myself and if I am in error I will fix the problem. The blocked bidder file is there for a reason. I wish that thier was a way to block bidders that have lefy say 10% negative feedbacks only a wish as that wont happen jack_o'lantern 

Message 99 of 107
latest reply

Whats the differance beteen expidited 1-3 days and first class 2-3 days and somtimes 1 day?

@sam9876 wrote:

You are required to use the shipping method that you selected in the listing.  I'm surprised you didn't get a neg for using First Class.

Message 100 of 107
latest reply

Are they buying an item or a type of shipping package? If it got there in 2 days you fulfilled your duties. Your lucky it arrived in time and its not a scheme to pocket 2 bucks
I would say the buyer is trying to pocket 2 bucks
Message 101 of 107
latest reply

Technically, the buyer did not pay for priority. Going back to one of my other posts ,is it true or not true that this item was mailed first class because it qualified weight-wise. So, because of that, it never would have gone priority so the buyer would not have gotten priority anyway. So, the buyer paid for the item with free shipping that included the first class(the only option for this item) shipping. So, the buyer is not entitled to a refund. Scamming buyers take every opportunity to take advantage because most sellers are scared to death of a negative. I have never received a neg from a buyer. If I received a neg because of this situation I would call ebay (even though I have never done so as a seller)and attempt to have it removed. Failing that I would leave followup feedback stating the situation. I do not and would not let a scamming buyer intimidate me. I have not ever and will not ever encourage a scammer. Luckily, I dont depend on ebay to pay my bills so I can do more to protect myself. Other sellers may have different circumstances but it is really sad.

You keep posting that the only option for shipping the lightweight item is first class mail, your reason for believing that the buyer got what he paid for.

However you are wrong about FCM being the only way to ship. FCM can be used for any item up to a pound, over which priority mail MUST be used. But those same items (up to 1 lb.) can also be shipped by priority mail, which is more expensive. 

Whether the item arrives in the same amount of time is beside the fact. Because the listing stated that it was priority shipping and the buyer "pays" for shipping as part of the price of the item, the buyer "paid" for priority mail and that's what he should have gotten. 

I agree with the others that the buyer is being petty but petty or not, he's correct. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 102 of 107
latest reply

Going back to one of my other posts ,is it true or not true that this item was mailed first class because it qualified weight-wise. So, because of that, it never would have gone priority so the buyer would not have gotten priority anyway. 

It "qualified" but it wasn't required that it be shipped by first class. You are INCORRECT in thinking that items that are light enough for 1st class must go that 

The following image shows shipping options and prices for a 10 oz. package, both by first class mail and by priority. 

So you are incorrect in assuming and insisting that FCM was the only way this item could have been sent! 

albertabrightalberta

Message 103 of 107
latest reply

Yes, I do. I have been selling here since 2006. I also sell on other venues. Why do you ask?grin

@green-night wrote:

Like I said, just curious.  But you've never had a return since 2006?   Pretty amazing. 

Because you have 0-feedback as a seller! Have you never received a single feedback since 2006 (from a buyer)?

albertabrightalberta

Message 104 of 107
latest reply

Have you ever heard of a posting/buying ID?

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404

Message 105 of 107
latest reply