cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Paid for Item but disappeared on Local Pickup

Greetings,

I just sold a rather large item.  The buyer got a good deal.  But all over my auction it clearly states Local Pickup Only in Pasadena CA.  They're 1700 miles away.

There were moments where this buyer should have said they didn't see or misunderstood or whatever.  (I'd be annoyed but sure, I get it.)  Instead this buyer was aware, paid me, and has gone silent.

I've looked all over eBay for advice.  It all seems to say 'refund them the money because they're clearly clueless.'   I reject that advice.  Why?  Last time I checked --

-- I have a legal contract.  If you bid for this item you must come pick it up (in a reasonable period of time) while I accept your money.  Nowhere does it say, "Unless you can't come pick it up." 

I've been sending messages regarding what's next and the person isn't replying.  So I'm on the brink of sending a final message.  You have until Friday to reply and next Friday to pick it up,  and if I don't hear anything -- I'm going to keep your money and relist the item.

I don't want to sound greedy.  I'm just saying it's not my job to take care of this adult.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for feedback everyone.  Despite nearly all of it being slanted against the individual who was following guidelines and contractual obligations, I did hear you nevertheless.

I'm giving the seller until Friday to reply.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 22 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

But unfortunately..you do sound greedy/ You dont get to keep the item and the payment too.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Ask the buyer what they want to do.  If they say cancel, you cancel, getting your fees back (except 30 cents) and you don't get a defect.  If they don't answer, you still have to cancel, but choose problem with address, getting your fees back (except 30 cents) and you don't get a defect.  

Relist, resell the item.  You can't keep the money and the item.  Would you want someone to do that to you?

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

In most states, you have to hang onto the item for 30 days (or maybe more) before it's considered abandoned.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

You can’t get away with it these days. Buyer have numerous ways to get they money back. Follow the advice given to avoid further even bigger hassles.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Why would you  not simply cancel, citing problem with buyer's address, refund and move on?

Surely you don't believe you should keep his money as well as the item?

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

And it's NOT your place to keep their money. 

Be a good human cancel and return their funds.

Grandma

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Thanks for reply.  Let me remind.  I have a contract.  So when you say --

"You dont get to keep the item and the payment too."

-- that's untrue.  I get to keep the money and give the buyer a reasonable amount of time to awake from their stupor or pick it up.  If they do neither I haven't committed fraud.  They've ignored the contract.

"But unfortunately..you do sound greedy"

If I were greedy I would have forced a BUY IT NOW at the price eBay recommends -- which is twice what I sold it for.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.  What you're suggesting seems to be the eBay 'way' since you're not the only person making this suggestion.  The thing it makes zero sense.

Ask the buyer what they want to do.

I have.  2 to 3 times depending on how you look at it.

If they say cancel, you cancel --

-- but why?  I have a contract and the money.  To do so would be a favor on my part, not any legal obligation. 

Remember when you get your first bid and eBay says, "You've sold your item!"  Well?  Did I?  Or not?
Let's remember:  eBay says I sold it, buyer hasn't asked for a refund, I have buyer's money, and I have a contract closing the entire deal.  I think I sold it.

-- getting your fees back (except 30 cents) and you don't get a defect

Wow.  Where to start --

1.  How would I get a defect?  Isn't it the buyer who should get one -- for defaulting on a contract?!?
2.  111 positive experiences vs 1 defect by a person who's only been on eBay less than a month and has won their own negative review for (allegedly) defaulting to ship an item.  Should I honestly care?

Relist, resell the item.

Why?  It seems when I wasn't looking honoring eBay contracts went out the window.  That the buyer is doing me a favor to actually honor it?

You can't keep the money and the item. Would you want someone to do that to you?

When I buy things on eBay -- I want them to uphold their side of the contract.  Then I uphold mine.

That's how contracts work.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

You are really working hard to justify keeping this buyers money arent you?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

@crackeroni wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  What you're suggesting seems to be the eBay 'way' since you're not the only person making this suggestion.  The thing it makes zero sense.

Ask the buyer what they want to do.

I have.  2 to 3 times depending on how you look at it.

If they say cancel, you cancel --

-- but why?  I have a contract and the money.  To do so would be a favor on my part, not any legal obligation. 

Remember when you get your first bid and eBay says, "You've sold your item!"  Well?  Did I?  Or not?
Let's remember:  eBay says I sold it, buyer hasn't asked for a refund, I have buyer's money, and I have a contract closing the entire deal.  I think I sold it.

-- getting your fees back (except 30 cents) and you don't get a defect

Wow.  Where to start --

1.  How would I get a defect?  Isn't it the buyer who should get one -- for defaulting on a contract?!?
2.  111 positive experiences vs 1 defect by a person who's only been on eBay less than a month and has won their own negative review for (allegedly) defaulting to ship an item.  Should I honestly care?

Relist, resell the item.

Why?  It seems when I wasn't looking honoring eBay contracts went out the window.  That the buyer is doing me a favor to actually honor it?

You can't keep the money and the item. Would you want someone to do that to you?

When I buy things on eBay -- I want them to uphold their side of the contract.  Then I uphold mine.

That's how contracts work.

Maybe the buyer has some issue at the moment where they can not respond.

There should be a phone # shown for the buyer if you are so inclined to resolve this by completing the sale.

What happens if the buyer files a charge back dispute via their payment method?

There is a point where common sense takes over.   $0.30, or possibly more aggravation.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

This is going to end badly for the OP and he certainly is not doing himself any favours by advising all and sundry on a public forum that is going to keep funds that are not legally his.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 12 of 35
latest reply

If you don't known what defects are, you have bigger problems.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

In most states, you have to hang onto the item for 30 days (or maybe more) before it's considered abandoned.

Thank you.  It's not my intention to end up with this.  But this comment seems to recognize the situation.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

You are really working hard to justify keeping this buyers money arent you?

Per contract the money was mine when they placed their bid.  And believe you me I want the item they bought gone.

Try again?

Message 15 of 35
latest reply