cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bound Printed Matter BPM

Is it not time for ebay to start offering BPM as Amazon does & has for years, it is a huge money saver for booksellers.  I do not understand why it is not an option.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Bound Printed Matter BPM

@jim1024 wrote:

You do not appear to be a bookseller so it is of no consequence to you.  

I have no clue what you are talking about since I have thousands of books for sale at the moment and have since 1997.

I would very much HAPPILY unload all of my books.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

I think you can get the BPM package returned to you if you put a notice on the package that return postage is guaranteed. Then it will come back to you Postage Due. Been a long long time since I used BPM but I remember putting a notice on the packages to get them back if they were not delivered.

I think that's right - one can use a 'service endorsement' of some sort - I'm not sure how much it costs for that service, though - I didn't get that far when I was considering it (and it was a while ago for me, too).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

I just paid $6.17 for a 3.5 pound book, on Amazon with BPM it would have been under $5, **bleep** is wrong with ebay at least making an effort to get BPM?   Is there an ebay employee that can respond to this?

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@jim1024 wrote:

I just paid $6.17 for a 3.5 pound book, on Amazon with BPM it would have been under $5, **bleep** is wrong with ebay at least making an effort to get BPM?   Is there an ebay employee that can respond to this?

Is there an ebay employee that can respond to this?  You can tag one - and they may enter the discussion after the weekend, but as this is eBay's playing field I guess eBay will do or not do as eBay chooses. Perhaps you are better suited to the Amazon platform?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Yes, BPM is cheaper. But there have also been reports on the Amazon forums of postal clerks refusing to accept BPM packages from regular retail customers using prepaid Amazon postage.

The wording does suggest that it can't just be dropped at retail locations. That's a separate issue that eBay would have to address and clarify if it were to offer BPM.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

I think this is why Ebay does not offer it.  Amazon has fulfillment centers, so this is why they have a permit. Ebay ships nothing at all. As far as sellers being able to piggy back on Amazon's permit could change at any time. Local post offices could at anytime refuse to accept BPM packages:  BPM is no longer accepted at retail offices but must be deposited as business mail at the Business Mail Entry Unit where the permit imprint was issued.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

I just looked up what is required for mailing using BPM. States you do need a permit. Sometimes the fees are waived if you are only shipping parcels using BPM, but a permit is still required.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

I sell on both Amazon & ebay, my mail gets picked up by my mail carrier daily & I have dropped off a to a clerk at PO & have never been questioned.  They know I am a book dealer & I use BPM daily, it is a huge money saver.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@jim1024 wrote:

Why do you folks keep making excuses for ebay?   Amazon does it, so should ebay, period.   

@jim1024 

Good grief!  You said you didn't understand why eBay doesn't offer that option ... and people offered guesses.

Nobody here is from eBay ... so can only guess why.  Then you accuse people of 'making excuses for eBay'.  Why don't you ask eBay yourself if you don't like anyone's guesses?  You tell eBay what it should do.   Why hassle us about it?  We're only members who try to answer questions.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

While your post office may accept BPM, they are breaking their own rules. 

Apr 29, 2021Knowledge
Article Number
Customer Information

Bound Printed Matter is a cost effective way to mail single-piece or volume presort permanently-bound sheets of advertising, promotional, directory or editorial material such as catalogs, books and other printed material using PS Form 8042 (Bound Printed Matter Documentation Form) and a permit account or a penalty permit account. BPM is no longer accepted at retail offices but must be deposited as business mail at the Business Mail Entry Unit where the permit imprint was issued.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-Bound-Printed-Matter-Service#:~:text=BPM%20is%20no%20longer%2... 

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Do you have a BPM permit from USPS?

Message 26 of 26
latest reply