cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being Robbed by Shipping Increase

I've read all over that EBay is helping sellers by eating up a percentage of the new USPS Shipping increase. Well they aren't covering enough! They constantly remind us how they want us to offer free shipping. They promote that to no end but it's next to Impossible unless you live in China or you are selling expensive items that you're making a huge profit on or you're just selling at high volumes.  For little people like me it's impossible for me to offer that all the time so I'm on the losing end. Anyone have any suggestions? Besides the obvious which is " sell expensive stuff"? Thanks 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Well, the obvious answer, which many sellers have chosen to do since the USPS rate increase on January 21, would be to simply raise your selling prices, in order to absorb the rate increase, as well as to absorb the additional FVF to eBay and PayPal.  Or you could raise your shipping fees to absorb the rate increase, which again many sellers on this board have decided to do.  

We all know that the USPS rates will be increased again within a year or so; so we all need to be proactive regarding our profit margins.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Where did you read this? eBay isn’t eating anything up here. They charge you the USPS commercial rate and they aren’t eating any of the cost. If you qualify for comm price rates, again ebay isn’t eating anything, THEY qualify for that rate and they are sharing it with you, it’s not a special eBay rate. There is no reason to let yourself get “robbed” by a price increase. Just increase your shiooong costs. If you offer free shipping, increase the item price a little. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Rates go up every year, just like the cost of virtually everything else. There is plenty of warning as far as USPS goes the rates were announced quite awhile ago. Antiquate time to rework your prices. 

As far as eBay eating the rate increase. That is something that I have never heard of and I doubt was ever stated.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Sellers who offer free shipping are adding the shipping cost into the item price. At least they should be.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

^^ hard to do when you actually have an auction and it goes to the highest bidder. BIN, yes. auction style, no.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

wrote:
^^ hard to do when you actually have an auction and it goes to the highest bidder. BIN, yes. auction style, no.

Which is why free shipping on an auction is a bad idea.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

wrote:

You should be starting your item at the amount you need to make a profit after fees and shipping. Just add in what it would cost to ship to the furthest zone from you.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Shipping cost increases are an annual event.  Smart sellers adjust for them.

Raise your selling price,  use the eBay shipping calculator, negotiate lower prices with your suppliers.

You are robbing yourself by not adjusting your prices to absorb the increase. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

For little people like me it's impossible for me to offer that all the time so I'm on the losing end. OP Unquote -------------------------------------------- 

I think of myself as ''little people '' as a seller  too . I'd never get rich doing this  but it does help a little . The items I sell are small , the shipping was always 2.61 cents  but now with the increase I pay 2.66  to ship , 5 cents more is really no big deal . Before when I  only had heard of the impending increase I thought I would need to increase my prices ,, but now  I don't think I need to . However the only advice I can offer  you  is either include a shipping fee or increase your prices . You'll just need to adjust it a little to whats comfortable.  Tulips --------------------------

Anyone have any suggestions? Besides the obvious which is " sell expensive stuff"? Thanks  OP Unquote -------------------------------------------------

I think if I were fortunate enough to have expensive stuff  in my possession ,, I wouldn't need to be a seller here . Tulips 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply