cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be careful using Ebay International Standard shipping. Buyers not be charged correct shipping.

I sold a CD to Canada.  The international shipping costs me $13.00.   This cost should be passed along to the buyer.  However, the buyer was given a total shipping cost of $9.29 and paid that amount.  I contacted ebay about this and they said it is an error on their end.  NO KIDDING!  They said to let the buyer know.  I asked them that they should let the buyer know since it is their error, not mine.  Anyway, I ate the loss on postage on this one.  I have disabled international shipping for a few days until they fix the error.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Be careful using Ebay International Standard shipping. Buyers not be charged correct shipping.

The shipping calculator is pretty accurate @jammin_recordings_usa . I'd ask you to provide the item number so we can check out the shipping section, but since you disabled international shipping, if the listing is still active we won't be able to see what the buyer saw.

When you go to the order details page, what shipping service does it show as "buyer selected"?

I'm assuming you were planning to ship eBay International Standard Delivery which charges $13 to Canada for up to 8oz.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

You say the international shipping costs you $13 but you wouldn't be paying to ship internationally.  You would only be paying to ship to the domestic shipping center.  So the amount of shipping you'd receive would be for domestic costs and you'd see a domestic address.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

It is not giving the correct shipping to the buyer as I stated.   This is an error on ebays end.   I was getting charged the correct amount for shipping, but the buyer was being charged less than me.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Not correct.   Never have i received less from the buyer than what i was charged to ship.   Pretty much common sense.   Ebay has confirmed it is their error.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

You say the international shipping costs you $13 but you wouldn't be paying to ship internationally.  You would only be paying to ship to the domestic shipping center.  So the amount of shipping you'd receive would be for domestic costs and you'd see a domestic address.  

If the seller had their listings set up with EISD then yes, they would be shipping internationally. EISD has not been discontinued yet and $13 is the EISD rate for an 8oz package to Canada, so all signs point to the seller using EISD.

If the seller wants they can opt in to eIS instead since eISD will be discontinued in the near future. Or they can set up their listings with USPS First Class International if they prefer to ship direct.

Since you deactivated international shipping, we can't test your listings to see what might be going on. But since eISD will be discontinued in the near future you may want to look into other shipping options @jammin_recordings_usa . I wouldn't be surprised if the price discrepancy has to do with that program being deprecated.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@jammin_recordings_usa wrote:

It is not giving the correct shipping to the buyer as I stated.   This is an error on ebays end.   I was getting charged the correct amount for shipping, but the buyer was being charged less than me.

$9 should get the item to the domestic center the buyer would pay more than you because they would Also pay a portion to the domestic shipping center to forward the package. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@wastingtime101 

This is odd.  It does look as if the seller just changed their listings to EIS this morning so if you click into a listing you see the EIS price.  But if you look at the sold listings in search they show a different pricing, perhaps the original price charged.  In search, the sold Rush CD shows as shipping to Canada as $9.29. When click on the listing it shows shipping with EIS as $18.81.  The next few sold listings also show different shipping costs on the search page so perhaps the search page shows the actual shipping price charged in this situation? But that doesn't explain why the shipping would show as $9+ since that is not the rate to Canada with international standard.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@jammin_recordings_usa wrote:

$9 should get the item to the domestic center the buyer would pay more than you because they would Also pay a portion to the domestic shipping center to forward the package. 

That would only apply if the seller had used EIS for that listing. But they stated they were using standard international which charges the full international shipping, not just the domestic shipping.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

When I posted earlier @pjcdn2005 there was no international shipping on that listing or any others. OP must have enabled eIS after I posted.

If they were using eISD before then who knows where $9.29 came from. If they were using eIS before then it's a misunderstanding on the OP's part or perhaps they didn't realize they had switched over from eISD to eIS and that the process is different.

When I change my location to Canada I see the same as you - $9.29 in search but $18.81 on the listing.

It's possible the seller doesn't have weight entered on their listing. We've seen before where sellers don't include weight/dim on the listing that it shows different eIS rates in search and on the listing.

When I change my location back to the US, to California, I see $7.55 shipping both in search and on the listing.

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It does look as if the seller just changed their listings to EIS this morning

Actually, I think the OP was enrolled in eIS but that wasn't on their listings because they were offering eISD. OP disabled eISD this morning which defaulted their listings to eIS. eIS takes a few hours to apply to the listing after the change is made, so that explains why there was no international shipping this morning but now eIS is showing. I don't think OP intentionally added eIS, but rather didn't opt their account out of the program so that's what's now defaulting.

GLORIOUS!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@wastingtime101 

This is odd.  It does look as if the seller just changed their listings to EIS this morning so if you click into a listing you see the EIS price.  But if you look at the sold listings in search they show a different pricing, perhaps the original price charged.  In search, the sold Rush CD shows as shipping to Canada as $9.29. When click on the listing it shows shipping with EIS as $18.81.  The next few sold listings also show different shipping costs on the search page so perhaps the search page shows the actual shipping price charged in this situation? But that doesn't explain why the shipping would show as $9+ since that is not the rate to Canada with international standard.

Yeah I was basing it on seeing the EIS in the listings.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Below is the message from ebay customer service.   They are not collecting the correct amount from the buyer.   That is the issue!

Hello, we are contacting you because our eBay system are having some issues with some sellers transaction, we apologize for the inconvenience. Thats the reason that your transaction has been less to the buyer without the correct amount, please contact you buyer to let them know this situation with our system issue. This has been reported to can be solve as soon as we can, please attentive to more information about this.

Thanks,

eBay

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@jammin_recordings_usa 

"Hello, we are contacting you because our eBay system are having some issues with some sellers transaction, we apologize for the inconvenience. Thats the reason that your transaction has been less to the buyer without the correct amount, please contact you buyer to let them know this situation with our system issue. This has been reported to can be solve as soon as we can, please attentive to more information about this."

Are you sre that eBay actually sent you that message?

It is rife with grammar and punctuation errors, as well as sentences that make no sense in English.

Check your source on this one!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply