cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad mailing label

I recently sold an item, printed the USPS label from eBay, and took the package to the post office. They told me I had a "bad label," but said the package could be delivered if I put it in a bin in the center of the PO. That didn't make sense to me, but I did it.

A couple days after I mailed it, it came back to me, with a Return to Sender sticker and a handwritten message: "Bad label. Must be complete." The tracking details say "Accepted. The carrier has the package."

I went back to the order details, but I don't see a way I can print the postage again. I haven't contacted the buyer yet, because I want to tell them what action I'm taking -- but I don't know what action to take. Thanks for any guidance, never had this happen before.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bad mailing label

That definitely is a bad barcode.  Unfortunately if tracking shows it was accepted, someone typed the code in by hand, in which case they should have sent it on its way.  Otherwise, you could have voided the label.  Although I think I might try hammering on ebay for a credit anyway.

You need to create another label, but look it over carefully.

Are you printing labels on a Mac?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

If the addy is bad and not the label: you will need to cancel the sale due to addy: relist it.

Before doing so tell the buyer they need to correct the addy: and when you relist the item they then can purchase.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@..

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I don't think the issue is the address. If I understood correctly through the plexiglass, the postal clerk was pointing to barcode. But that's how it appeared when I opened the label attachment.

IMG_1525-min.JPG

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Go back to the order and in the dropdown box, click on "purchase shipping label." It'll let you purchase another. 

You might want to check the price for priority mail because in my experience, there's little (or no) difference in price for a 2-lb. package. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Try to reprint and or void that label.   'Pretend' you're going to buy another label and at the top is a link to the shipping labels page.  If another printing (reprint option) looks like that try to void it.  You may need to buy another and eat your losses. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

That definitely is a bad barcode.  Unfortunately if tracking shows it was accepted, someone typed the code in by hand, in which case they should have sent it on its way.  Otherwise, you could have voided the label.  Although I think I might try hammering on ebay for a credit anyway.

You need to create another label, but look it over carefully.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Here's what I'm seeing.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 7.24.19 PM.png

992ADDCA-9434-4443-A8F1-24728C4459BD_1_201_a.jpeg

And then this, which links to the Shipping labels page:

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 7.26.21 PM.png

But at the shipping labels page, I don't see any option to void. The only available actions are Print Another Label or Print Packing Slip.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 7.41.32 PM.png

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Here are eBay's own instructions. But there is no More Actions, as far as I can see.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 7.44.52 PM.png

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

If you don't see the Void option then it is not available, because the tracking was already accepted.

https://www.ebay.com/lbr/labels-history/seller-hub

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@rfmtm wrote:

Yes. Known issue?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Yes, there currently is a problem rendering images like the barcode using a Mac and Firefox, and possibly other browsers like Safari.   Firefox has fixed this in V106, but it has not been released yet.

The workaround is to save the label to a PDF file, then open and print the file outside of the browser.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@rfmtm wrote:

The workaround is to save the label to a PDF file, then open and print the file outside of the browser.

Do that with the label you already have because the PO already has Accepted it so no void is possible. They can put it through again with a corrected print of the same label.

Aside from the big gap in the lower barcode there are also errors in printing the service letter at upper left and the 2D barcode at upper right. The scaling factor for some fonts is getting messed up or misinterpreted for some reason.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@rfmtm wrote:

Do that with the label you already have because the PO already has Accepted it so no void is possible. They can put it through again with a corrected print of the same label. >>

I couldn't figure out how to access the original label, so I gave up and bought postage a second time. Frustrating, and a weird programming failure that this issue continues. Could I get a refund for the first postage from eBay? Maybe. Do I want to put an hour of work into getting back $7.28? I'm not sure.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@sidsalts wrote:
I couldn't figure out how to access the original label, so I gave up and bought postage a second time. Frustrating, and a weird programming failure that this issue continues. Could I get a refund for the first postage from eBay? Maybe. Do I want to put an hour of work into getting back $7.28? I'm not sure.

They might give you a 1-time courtesy refund if you asked.

One way to get back to your original label is to look in the email account tied to your Ebay account. There should be an email there from Ebay saying that your label is ready and giving you a link back to where you can print it again if needed.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply