cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awaiting replacement on a return

OK, so I purchased a digitizer for my phone on eBay from a Chinese seller. Item arrived in a timely matter. It was defective. I communicated this to the seller and sent proof (pics and videos). Seller made a few suggestions which didn't fix the problem and they said to return it. I did the return directly instead of initiating it through eBay. The seller paid for the return and said they would ship out a replacement when the return arrived. They wanted cheap shipping and there was no tracking. Following up on the return they kept saying it hadn't arrived yet. At one point they said they would go ahead and ship the replacement anyway. In the course of all this back and forth 60 days past and I have no replacement and seller is refusing to reply to my inquiries. I realize now I should have instituted the return through eBay, but was trying to save the seller a few bucks on the return shipping. I figure I SOL on this but thought I'd throw it out there to see if there is a recourse that I am not aware of.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Awaiting replacement on a return

If you funded your purchase via a credit card, you may be able to do a chargeback through your credit provider. Otherwise I think you're kind of stuck. The seller successfully ran out the clock on you with empty promises. Sorry.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

YEP!   scream  You are SOL!  sob

Hate to say this but this is now tuition paid in the school of buying.  You made about every mistake possible, sigh.

1)  Went deal shopping in China

2) Did not use the MBG through eBay

3) Shipped with no tracking & thus no proof

4) Instead of asking for your money back, you fell for the replacement scam

Normally if you used PayPal  in the transaction you would have 180-days to use their refund process, but you have NO PROOF of return delivery so no one, not even your CC is going to help you.

Unfortunately this is a 'live & learn' situation. grimacing

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Well I do have a copy of the shipping label and the receipt for the postage.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hmmm. Never thought about that. Will look into that.
Thanks
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Your receipt is only proof you mailed it, not proof the seller received it.  A tracked delivery to China costs $50.30.   When you go through eBay for the return and ask eBay for help when the seller doesn't send the return money UP FRONT  they  usually refund and tell you that you don't have to return it.  Next time file a not as described case and ask eBay for help if the seller doesn't provide a return label or send you shipping $.   Don't accept a replacement because it could also arrive defective and then you'd be SOL.  

Go to PayPal and file a not as described case there, and let them know you received a defective item and returned it with cheap shipping no tracking as per the seller's instructions and have not received a replacement  or a refund yet.  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply