cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these real addresses? Am I getting scammed?

I sold a couple of items and I had googled their addresses and they all seem really sketch to me..

I'm scared of not getting paid out or the item being delivered and not getting scanned to complete the shipping cycle.

Can anyone share some insight on these type of addresses and if they're scamming or not?

I'm looking to drop off my packages at USPS today so any help is appreciated!

Address 1:

NAME MB1466843

130 QUIGLEY BLVD HISTORIC

NEW CASTLE DE 19720-4104

Address 2:

Name
5232 NE 152ND

PL PORTLAND OR 97230-8310

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

They are freight forwarders, shipping your item to a foreign buyer. Not sure why there is the "historic" bit at the end of the New Castle street name though.

I never had a problem with freight forwarders. Some have. I will let others chime in on that. A freight forwarder is not necessarily a scam or a problem. Your responsibility, as far as eBay is concerned, ends when it arrives safely to the freight forwarder. If the item has a significant value, or is a high risk item for scams (like an expensive cell phone), you may want to require a signature on delivery in case there is a credit card chargeback and you have to provide proof of delivery.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@the-bodega-emporium,

"sold a couple of items and I had googled their addresses and they all seem really sketch to me... I'm scared of not getting paid out or the item being delivered and not getting scanned to complete the shipping cycle."

You ship items to the address given on the sold item order page.  There is no need to google the address and no reason to worry if they cannot be delivered they will be scanned as undeliverable and that is enough for ebay to protect you.

As for worrying about being paid,  Since according to your feedback profile you have not sold anything in over a year, eBay will place a 21-30 day hold on the payments for the first few items you sell.  On your account the payment status will be marked as Pending. That means the funds are there, and you can pay for the shipping from them, but the rest of the payment will be held until the tracking information has a delivered sr a year, eBay will place a 21-30 day hold on the payments for the first few items you sell.  On your account the payment status will show Pending but yu can use the funds to ship, and once there is a delivered scan, the funds will be released.

FYI. The two listings you currently have up should be pulled and revised. You never us a receipt from another source as a photo, especially for highly scam  items such as Graphics cards.  Saying you will pick it up "this Saturday and ship it for Free".  That is in complete violation of ebay rules.  Your buyer will be charged the shipping cost shown on the listing, which is way over priced.  List it again when you have it in hand, and either offer free shipping or use ebay's shipping calculator.

Unless the pool you are selling was given to you, you are going to lose money on the shipping when you go to send it. Those things come in 3-5 boxes all of which are oversized and very heavy. They definitely will not meet USPS shipping standards.  UPS & FedEx may not even take them, so you would have to use a Freight service.  You should list it for local pickup only.

To me your profile and the expensive items you have listed at the very least mimic how hijacked account, scammers profiles look. No activity in over a year, then one purchase, and suddenly you are listing high end items with inappropriate terms and shipping costs.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

There are quite a few freight forwarders in the US.  International buyers use them to receive items bought from sellers who prefer not to ship internationally.  They are often located in Oregon or Delaware because those states do not impose a state sales tax.

The seller ships to the FF and the FF sends the item to the buyer's address.  Once the item is delivered to the FF, the seller is off the hook for claims of INR, NAD etc.  

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

"Are these real addresses? Am I getting scammed?"

I wonder how long it'll be before the buyer(s) come and ask, "Is this a real seller? Will I be scammed?" 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

"Address 1:

NAME MB1466843

130 QUIGLEY BLVD HISTORIC

NEW CASTLE DE 19720-4104

Address 2:

Name
5232 NE 152ND

PL PORTLAND OR 97230-8310"

As others have responded, both of these are probably freight forwarding companies. 
As a seller, I have never, ever, had any problem with sending my sold items to a freight forwarding company --

meaning that the buyers have never come back with INR claims or returned their purchases.  

However:  As an eBay seller, YOU need to be aware of eBay's International Fee:

"If your registered address is in the US, we charge an International fee if either:

• The delivery address for the item (entered by the buyer during checkout) is outside the US, or
  • The buyer's registered address is outside the US (regardless of the delivery address for the item)

This fee is calculated as 1.65% of the total amount of the sale and is automatically deducted from your sales."

Quoted directly from eBay's User Agreement, section 5, Fees & Taxes.
This could be the situation you are in.  This means that, in addition to the Final Value Fee, eBay will retain 1.65% of the total amount paid by your buyer.  

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@monroe67  Sorry, just clarifying, but did I not read somewhere that with the EIS the 1.65% was being waived???

Disclaimer: There is always a chance I dreamed it.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

"Sorry, just clarifying, but did I not read somewhere that with the EIS the 1.65% was being waived???

Disclaimer: There is always a chance I dreamed it."

YES:  when an eBay-USA-registered seller sells an item (through eBay) to an international buyer in one of his/her accepted nations, that most likely means the shipping will be "with" eBay's International Shipping (EIS) program. 
                     When that happens, eBay's 1.65% International Fee does not apply to the transaction. 

My eBay selling ID has sold and shipped many things to buyers whose shipping addresses were in the state of Delaware.  Further experience has shown that those locations were "freight forwarders."  AND probably 98% of those transactions triggered eBay's imposition of a 1.65% International Fee.  

In fact, however, my eBay selling ID has never had a sale that was shipped through eBay's International Shipping (EIS) program.  I'm signed up for it, but nobody in any of my accepted nations has apparently ever bought anything from me. 

How would I know when a transaction falls within the EIS?  By the shipping address!  

My reading of these eBay Community Boards has shown that the EIS program has shipping hubs in the state of Illinois and another in a suburb of Los Angeles, California.  I could be mistaken about those locations because they have never been a part of my own eBay selling experience, but I am pretty sure that eBay has no EIS hub in the states of Delaware or Oregon.  I have never read of any.   

BTW, I never dream about anything eBay-related.  

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I just sold jewelry to the second address with an account number 65-678206 in the address. He said it was a third party courier then its going to the Philippines. Did you get scammed by this person? Please advise as I'm about to ship but am so apprehensive.

5232 NE 152ND

PL PORTLAND OR 97230-8310

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

If you want to ship internationally without having much apprehension EBay’s new EIS program would be available to you if you opt into it. The addresses you show are  US based freight forewarding  companies. International buyers bypass any blocks you have set up for international shipping using these services instead of EIS.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Many of these freight forewarding companies are located in cities near ports so this may be one of them. If it is a FF, you ship to them and your responsibility ends there as far  as getting that item where it needs to go. If buyer files and item not received from the country of destination you are covered by ebay for the shipment showing delivered to the freight forewarders address. Item not described cases are different though as well as chargebacks. But, any buyer whether they are international or not can do such things and if you have a return policy on your listings you can request a return of the merchandise. It’s costly though to get that item back if you have to pay the buyer to ship that item back. We never ship to FF for that reason and high cost merch will not go that route for us.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

You are off the hook for the item not received but not too sure of the item not described. Buyer can claim INAD and you can request that they return it with high costs to the seller to get it back. INADS I believe are dealt with better with the new EIS program which is NOT one of these addresses.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@retro-licious wrote:

He said it was a third party courier then its going to the Philippines. 

Fortunately @retro-licious you have that in writing, that it's a third party courier then its going to the Philistines.

1. So when tracking shows Delivered to the that address, you are covered for Item Not Received.

kako_5344_0-1711467431340.jpeg

2. And after that, the buyer is not covered because you have it in writing that it was shipped to another address.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

It's probably time for you to do some reading on eBay about freight forwarders.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I would recommend not shipping to any location that has a mall business name but no street address such as somewhere inside a shopping mall. Also, don't ship to a location that is not recorded in the post office data base if using the USPS to ship. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply