cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will I be charged for UPS labels when UPS returns pkg to me damaged never delivered to buyer

Will I be charged for the following two UPS shipping labels for 2 packages to the same customer that were not delivered but returned to me by UPS damaged?

Twice, this month, same customer, same product, damaged by UPS.  Pkgs made it from me in Georgia to across Ohio line through Maumee, OH into Michigan where buyer is.  The tracking says they tried to delv the first time, buyer not there, two days later UPS processed the package as damaged to be returned to me.  I received that pkg smashed, (it was liquid soap in 24 10 oz plastic bottles, with plenty of pkg, returned to me in a different box with squshed bottles in a plastic bag inside.   MORE

I contacted customer and they said they didn't reject the package, nobody tried to delv, and still wanted the soap.  The twenty-four bottles were in 4 cases, with foam packing between the bottles inside each and taped together with heavy duty clear box tape around and around every which way for sunday and heated to shrink wrap.    So next time, I got a heavy duty outer box like 500lbs per sq inch and put 4 more cases that I opened up and packed with foam inside each case, the 4 cases in the box with foam between the case, no movement.  So 4 packed boxes inside a heavy duty box packed with no gaps or movement inside, taped top and bottom and on all 4 edges.  SAME THING.  All the way to UPS Maumee OH, then back to me damaged in a different box, two unopened cases, 12 bottles in a plastic bag 3 of them squshed and empty.  I refunded the customer because I was done trying.

I have been doing this since 2006, I am a former package handler, OTR trucker, and I used to work for UPS back in the 90's.  I made power seller 3 times, and now I am a TOP RATED seller with 100% positive feedback.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

will I be charged for UPS labels when UPS returns pkg to me damaged never delivered to buyer

If you bought the labels through ebay, who in turn paid UPS ... i would think your beef would be with UPS, not with ebay.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

My understanding is, eBay doesn't pay for UPS or FedEx labels until they are invoiced by UPS or FedEx after packages are delivered to the consignee.   I tried to ask UPS if they were going to invoice for the first pkg label since it was not delivered and the Filipinos could not answer the question.  I called eBay and they couldn't answer the question.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Wow. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

follow up:  YEP  I just got charged for the first one.  Seems we DO get charged for UPS labels even when the package is not delivered

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@bestdeals4ebuyers 

As soon as the UPS label is scanned it is billable. It normally takes about a week for me to see the charge in my transactions and they bill for several at one time.

Not surprised at all that they billed even though the item was returned to sender. 

For the heavier shipments, I print out and tape a label in a ~36 font, on every side of the box that reads like this:

46 LBS. PLEASE DO NOT DROP

Gives the person a heads up before they try to pick up or move the package.

I make a custom size box and sleeve it with about one inch of cardboard all the way around. Not to mention bubble wrapping if it is an electronic type device.

I can see where detergent bottles could be a challenge to ship effectively.

Posting ID
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

It appears that there are major problems at the UPS Maumee OH facility.  This looks like they purposely damaged both packages, perhaps because the driver does not like going to that location.   I talked to CS at ebay and showed them the package was not delivered and made the case that sellers are not supposed to be charged for UPS labels for packages that were not delivered and their system shows that that package was returned.  They said they would issue me a "courtesy refund".  I thanked them, but I reminded them that it is ebay's UPS account and ebay is UPS' customer and they need to be getting their money back.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply