cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the silent seller

I ordered a textbook from a seller with zero feedback. I am guessing someone trying to sell their textbook. After the fact I asked how much to upgrade to Priority. When I did not hear back or get a shipped notification I got cold feet and asked to cancel and get a refund. Then I bought the book elsewhere. 

I know perfectly well that not every seller is on email 20/7 or has the fast-paced responses of most of us. But I still think some response is not unwarranted even now a few days after ordering. If after a few more days I get no shipped message or refund, what are my options? 

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Re: the silent seller

@turquoisetulips

wrote:

We all need a backup plan, I have a note book with all my user names and pass words.

( but I doubt my wife can read my hand writing...lol   ---------------------------------------

Nobody can read my handwriting either ,, except my sister .  You could try  using notebook [ if you have it on your PC ] type out the intructions and then print it out for her in nice bold type . That may help in the event you become unavailable . Tulips 

Yep, I need to do that, pushing 60 and trying to tie up the loose ends of my life.

Heck, I can't even read my own handwriting.

Message 61 of 83
latest reply

I disagree. As sellers we are responsible for responding to our buyers. If a have, say a three day handling time, if a customer contacts me within those three days I should be responding. 

There are always new things to learn as a seller , but in the very beginning, how you communicate is critical.

Message 62 of 83
latest reply

You took the item "off the shelf" for no reason --- this seller most likely lost a sale because of your actions hawgrders to OP ------------------------------------

The seller of the book  has some responsibility  for that happening as well  . If the seller had simply replied to the buyers messages  and instead  not let him dangle for several days,,  the buyer may not have asked to cancel the sale . As sellers its our duty to reply to questions and keep the lines of communication  open  with our buyers ,, it's just good business to do so . However if a seller can not or simply will not do that ,, they should probably look for another way to boost their income . Tulips 

Message 63 of 83
latest reply

I disagree. As sellers we are responsible for responding to our buyers. If a have, say a three day handling time, if a customer contacts me within those three days I should be responding- oddities  unquote ---

I agree - 

I purchased a cell phone battery on Jan 10 th . I made an instant payment thru Pay Pal  to the seller . After about the 4 or 5th day after  my purchase was not showing  as shipped  . I contacted the seller  but received no reply ,, so I waited and wrote them again , nothing . I finally contacted Pay Pal and my money was refunded .  Will I ever return as a customer to this seller ? No I will not and whose fault is that ? Tulips 

Message 64 of 83
latest reply

Interesting to read, as I have had buyers ask me to change shipping after they have won an item. Mostly they want a cheaper rate. Good to know that when they bid, the option I have listed is what they agree to pay.
Message 65 of 83
latest reply

wrote:

You took the item "off the shelf" for no reason --- this seller most likely lost a sale because of your actions hawgrders to OP ------------------------------------

The seller of the book  has some responsibility  for that happening as well  . If the seller had simply replied to the buyers messages  and instead  not let him dangle for several days,,  the buyer may not have asked to cancel the sale . As sellers its our duty to reply to questions and keep the lines of communication  open  with our buyers ,, it's just good business to do so . However if a seller can not or simply will not do that ,, they should probably look for another way to boost their income . Tulips 

I can't even count the times I have read "the time to ask questions is BEFORE you buy" --- guess that is no longer true ???

Message 66 of 83
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

I can't even count the times I have read "the time to ask questions is BEFORE you buy" --- guess that is no longer true ???

oy, yes, that came up. but i think the op had not gotten a shipping notice, so between the silent seller and no noti's for shipping, she thought she wasn't going to get it. it was a text book and most buyers need those in a timely manner for class.

Message 67 of 83
latest reply

I can't even count the times I have read "the time to ask questions is BEFORE you buy" --- guess that is no longer true ??? hawgryders - unquote ----------------------------------

No , you're correct , it is true a buyer should always ask any questions before buying . However in this particular case it would have seemed rude of the buyer to ask the seller beforehand  if they intended not to ship their purchase  and then  ignore any incoming questions  after the sale as well  . Tulips 

Message 68 of 83
latest reply

it was a text book and most buyers need those in a timely manner for class. highway58 -sales  unquote --------------------------------------------

That's a very good point .If the textbook in question had been used by the seller for his or her own studies  then they should have realized time was of essence . In any case the seller of the book hasn't lost a sale as its been claimed  , he or she has only lost a sale to one buyer . I assume the book can  still be relisted . Tulips 

Message 69 of 83
latest reply

wrote:

I can't even count the times I have read "the time to ask questions is BEFORE you buy" --- guess that is no longer true ??? hawgryders - unquote ----------------------------------

No , you're correct , it is true a buyer should always ask any questions before buying . However in this particular case it would have seemed rude of the buyer to ask the seller beforehand  if they intended not to ship their purchase  and then  ignore any incoming questions  after the sale as well  . Tulips 

Not sure how you "knew" they never intended to ship --- what I read from the OP was they requested the deal be cancelled --- if the lack of tracking is what led you to believe that a lot of uninformed sellers send things without tracking

As for post-sale communications perhaps you are forgetting eBay frowns on that --- in fact, at one time (don't know if it is still true) the only way to get an automatic 5-star rating was to not communicate at all ...

Message 70 of 83
latest reply

wrote:

it was a text book and most buyers need those in a timely manner for class. highway58 -sales  unquote --------------------------------------------

That's a very good point .If the textbook in question had been used by the seller for his or her own studies  then they should have realized time was of essence . In any case the seller of the book hasn't lost a sale as its been claimed  , he or she has only lost a sale to one buyer . I assume the book can  still be relisted . Tulips 

Textbooks are only useful at the beginning of a semester --- and since the publishers love to "revise" them sometimes they are only good this semester

The entire point of this thread is "buyer's remorse" --- and it still amuses me how some who are the most outspoken critics of buyer's who do it are suddenly supportive of the practice ...

Message 71 of 83
latest reply

Not sure how you "knew" they never intended to ship  hawgryders --------------------------

I didn't ,, but it eventually  appeared that way to the buyer . When he messaged the seller  about changing the shipping method  and then  never received a reply or any indication  the book had been shipped even days later  (with a tracking number  or not ] the buyer requested the sale be cancelled  out of concern . When you mentioned its important for a buyer  to ask questions  first before buying,,,  it probably wouldn't have been wise for the buyer  to ask the seller if this was going to be his behavior  before he purchased the book.  Tulips  

Message 72 of 83
latest reply

The entire point of this thread is "buyer's remorse" --- and it still amuses me how some who are the most outspoken critics of buyer's who do it are suddenly supportive of the practice ... hawgryders --- ----------------------

Each buyers remorse incident should be judged  by its own merits . In this particular case the buyers remorse  had rational reason behind it considering the circumstances that followed the sale . Tulips 

Message 73 of 83
latest reply

As for post-sale communications perhaps you are forgetting eBay frowns on that --- in fact, at one time (don't know if it is still true) the only way to get an automatic 5-star rating was to not communicate at all ... hawgryders - unquote ---  --------------------------------------------

I've never heard of that policy even though I've been top rated for years  . IMO  the lines of communication  between the buyer and seller should be open until the transaction is completly over and the purchase has been delivered to a satisfied buyer . Tulips 

Message 74 of 83
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

Textbooks are only useful at the beginning of a semester --- and since the publishers love to "revise" them sometimes they are only good this semester

The entire point of this thread is "buyer's remorse" --- and it still amuses me how some who are the most outspoken critics of buyer's who do it are suddenly supportive of the practice ...

who had buyers remorse? I am a critic of buyers remorse that turns into a fake INAD return request. In this case, the buyer changing their mind was brought on by the lack of sellers actions. Pretty sure you can't make a remorse return request of you haven't received the item. 

Message 75 of 83
latest reply