cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

striving towards partial retirement on ebay - not a question just a comment

Had a session with my therapist yesterday and she helped me realize that for a long time I've been in a toxic relationship with ebay, all the work and expense in terms of time, money, energy and living space. I've vented about all this here for too long. I worry about missing the money if I just quit. But I quit three library commissions last year which was scary but it turned out OK! Don't even miss them. 

My goal is to end my ebay business of auctioning "lots". I am tasked with denying my compulsion to buy more inventory to lot up and either list or discard my existing inventory. I've started hauling away stuff I know I will never list. I'm hoping that by my birthday and next visit in May I'll be majorly dug out! After that I will either keep ebay for listing single books or say goodbye entirely. I've been here for 24 years so it's hard to imagine a life with no ebay.

Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Before trying to sell in lots I recommend doing markdown sales.  It's so easy.  Start with as little as 5% off and gradually increase the amount off.  

Message 2 of 73
latest reply

Your mental health is more important than buying and selling on ebay. Anything that comes with the word toxic in it you want out of your life and body. Wish you good luck. 

Message 3 of 73
latest reply

Good luck, but your plans always seem to be in flux. Brings to mind the title of Larry Woiwode's first book:

20240217_090512.jpg

Message 4 of 73
latest reply

More power to you!!!!!!

Message 5 of 73
latest reply

If eBay is such a problem you need to see and consult a therapist about it, I have no idea why you even question why you still sell here. If selling anywhere or dealing with that place causes you to have problems functioning as a human being, then I would no longer do something that caused me such undo stress. There are a million other things you can do with your time, why waste any of your life doing anything that does nothing but stress you out?

I don't mean to come across dismissive or crass, but I do not understand why anyone would do something that makes them sick or otherwise feel bad about what they are doing.  My own business can be stressful, but it not something I need to see someone about or something that I detest doing/dealing with. 

Message 6 of 73
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

Had a session with my therapist yesterday and she helped me realize that for a long time I've been in a toxic relationship with ebay, ... it's hard to imagine a life with no ebay.

Now that you are committed to change & freedom, sensory experiences & pleasures await you

Message 7 of 73
latest reply

They are probably just seeing a therapist for life in general not necessarily eBay.

I have bipolar disorder so I see a therapist. She seems to not like me selling on eBay and thinks it's beneath me but I feel like she's subconsciously jealous that I don't have to work 9:00 to 5:00. I adore that I have eBay so I don't vent to her about it but she still seems to have a negative opinion.

Message 8 of 73
latest reply

I am not sure about why your relationship with eBay but, then again, I am not walking a mile in your shoes.  You are on pace to get about 100 February sales.  I might have had 100 sales in the entire year of 2023!  My relationship with eBay **IS** toxic.  I've removed almost all of my listings.  I have only posted 7 items in 2024 & actually have 3 sales out of that.  I could have 500 listings & get the same # of sales.  I do miss the money from when eBay was not toxic for me.  It has been for over 2 years.  I don't miss listing here because the sales were pathetic.  I do not see how you would miss this kind of income if you removed the site from your life.  Whatever decision best suits your health & life, I wish you the best!    🙂 

PS - I'm in the same boat.  What do to with EVERYTHING?!   lol  Boxes & boxes of stuff.  Trying to go through it all; organize.  Decide what to toss out.  I've sold some things for dirt cheap & never get over regretting it.  lol  Bills had to be paid.  I'm in an apt. with roommates.  Trying to appease them; for space.  😛

Message 9 of 73
latest reply

The Very Best To You!, Time To Detoxify!

Message 10 of 73
latest reply

I'm definitely going to do "fire sales". For example I have tons of wrestling DVDs. Rather than chunk them all out I'll list the whole collection and if that doesn't sell for some reason, donate them.

Message 11 of 73
latest reply

Yep. If I can force myself to stop buying more inventory I know I mean it this time.

Message 12 of 73
latest reply

You are right. I've struggled with this for a long time. I thought it was something I needed to deal with to run a business. But I'm going to be 64 and I know I don't want to live this way anymore. If I can't solve the problem by selling off w hat I have I'll need to do some major donating. 

Message 13 of 73
latest reply

Your therapist should not be injecting her own issues into your therapy (obviously). My therapist has also questioned what I do but t hat's what I pay her for. Yesterday I thanked her for expressing that to me, ebay is a big part of my identity and it's hard to think of not having that anymore. I felt like she heard me. But she also says I"m a freaking hoarder and she's not wrong.

Message 14 of 73
latest reply

Keep sending that positive energy my way!

Message 15 of 73
latest reply