cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

store vs basic Ebay account

How many items do I need to sell per month for a store to be more advantageous than a basic account?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

A basic store is $24.95/mo without a contract, and you get 250 fixed price listings and 250 auction listings in certain categories.

A free account gives you 50 free listings, and subsequent listings are thirty cents each.  If you were to list 133 items on a free account, it would cost you $24.90.

If you are going to have more than 130 items listed, then a store would make more sense than having a free account and paying for listings over the free 50.

Stores do not give you better visibility, and having a store does not override any seller limits you may have.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@backtocooperstown wrote:

How many items do I need to sell per month for a store to be more advantageous than a basic account?

That decision has nothing to do with the number of items sold. 

A store subscription is nothing more than paying a monthly fee in exchange for a different number of free listings, a different insertion fee schedule and a different final value fee schedule. 

In some cases, selling just one item a month could justify a store. In other cases, you could sell 50 items a month and still be better off without a store. 

You just need to do the math and figure out whether you come out ahead. We can't do that math for you because we don't have all the necessary information. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Just one, if you're selling pricey items in the categories where Stores pay a final value fee of only 4 or 6%.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

If I am paying for a store I am using all the insertions.... and IF I can't sell $25 more with a store with 10 times the listings and the tools provided (like Mark Down Manager - I guess they call it something else now) something is wrong.... that said, as always, there are exceptions to every rule... so mileage may vary.

Plus you get a Coupon for Jurassic Park ... er... I mean shipping supplies....

BUT you do lose scheduled start times.....

on the other hand with a store you will get 2 free cocktails delivered daily by a eBay host/hostess.... or something.... wait what... strike that last part ... I think that may only be for Anchor stores

So, in confusion, it depends on your price point, may only take one sale.... also depending on what you sell. Also 500 versus 50 could mean a LOT more work and lower hourly wage..... if 500 is too many and you have different items split them up over 2 IDs....

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If you are selling $500 per month including shipping charges, then it costs only $9.95 per month to have a store with 250 free listings.

This is the way I figure it:  You get a $4.25 discount on fees.  You get $25.00 in free shipping supplies every 3 months.  So, that is about $10.00 per month in discounts.

If you pay $19.95 per month for a store  (paying for a year at one time) and subtract the $10.00 per month in discounts, that makes the cost of the store $9.95 per month.  That is like getting 250 listings per month for $9.95

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

ebbyisme wrote:

on the other hand with a store you will get 2 free cocktails delivered daily by a eBay host/hostess....

I got a first store years ago just because it had the Invisible Vacation Mode setting available, and we like to take off for a few days... pretty often.  It was more than worth it to just be able to not have to take down listings all the time!  (Apparently during those few days we take off and are gone for our little vacation breaks, THOSE must be the days the cocktail hostesses are ringing our bell to deliver the drinks.  Darn!)

Message 7 of 7
latest reply