cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stamp collection to be listed

I have been stamp collecting since 1948. Time to break the collection up???

Questions: primarily on shipping single stamps or small lots. Use a #10 or a 6 x9 manila envelope, ship FCM or  economy shipping or USPS ground? 

I prefer having a printed shipping label instead of my having to make a hand written  addressed envelope.

Sheets and larger more valuable sets, Flat rate priority envelope should cover most of the possibilities

Also have many books (filled or partially filled) and they go ground advantage?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: stamp collection to be listed

Stamp collectors prefer stamps on envelope when you mail smaller items out...I get some good feedback from that in the past using cool stamps on envelope for mailings...so hard to get feedback these days FYI.

I use a standard envelope with a thin cardboard like a greeting card size in entire envelope.

I write address on all my envelopes.

Anything expensive I use USPS tracking.

Otherwise, a .68 stamp works for small lots...no lumps in the envelope of course.

Without tracking, items get 3-5 days cross country. With tracking...who know's when it is delivered.

Stamp collectors prefer their items "fast" and not in the "slow lane".

Business plan for you should be "repeat buyers"...how to obtain but can be done.

I personally mail everything myself walking to the post office. 

I don't like doing sheets or souvenir sheets unless they are worth $$$. Otherwise, I break them into sets or take stamps out of souvenir sheets(same value wise).

Haven't had anything lost last year or this year so far.

I did block some countries...China...got too many getting only a Chinese language addresss...can't do tracking Registered Mail...has to be in English for form.

I guess you'll take a pick at my stuff and might use some ideas. And wish you good luck.

Also....photos...photos...photos...and do descriptions as much as possible.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Depending on value, I use LetterMail and don't track.

Usually  I offer Free Shipping to the USA and Canada (I'm in Canada).

My Global TRS status does not require tracking, YMMV.

Philatelists prefer postage stamps and every collector I know has a pile of mint postage squirrelled away.

MAILED WITH STAMPS.jpeg

MAILED WITH STAMPS 1.jpeg

 Registered Mail is not available online but check the costs.

Do NOT use Registered Mail outside your own country's borders. It is no longer reliably trackable.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Business plan for you should be "repeat buyers"...how to obtain but can be done.

Put a note or business card into your shipments.

Scan the back of hinged and used stamps at high resolution.

Actually scan stamps. Much more accurate than photography.

Albums  can be photographed.

Use Fixed Price.  Include Best Offer. Put accept/reject automatic parameters on Best Offer.

Don't ship internationally until you have at least 10 DSRs, know what DSRs are, and understand why they are not importan.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I have this one buyer that states: do not use flag stamps or definitives on his envelope for mailing. LOL.

Who should tell the seller what to put on the envelope?

I have Japanese buyers who want musician stamps and another wants only birds stamps on onside for mailing.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

"Without tracking, items get 3-5 days cross country. "  I am seeing 10 to 15 days First Class starting about 2 months ago.  I have started mailing bills early because of this.  And expecting my buys here to take twice as long to get to me.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply