Did you mean: 

should business name be same as ebay name

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: should business name be same as ebay name

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

It does simplify things.

But you can have several eBay accounts which cannot have the same name , or be attached to the same email address, although they can share a Managed Payments selling account.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

It doesn't have to be.  Totally up to you.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Me thinks yes,

When your company name/.com name is the same as Ebay's store name it is easy to find your .com on google.

From our experience, prices at the .com are cheaper then the prices of the same items sold by the same sellers here on Ebay since sellers don't need to pay the venue for PL's,  FVF's, on shipping, taxes etc'.

It's good Karma, more $$$ for the sellers, nada for greedy middle man.

So, yes.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I would double check about Managed payments. If I remember correctly the name on the banl account has to be the same name of user (not eBay name but actual) not sure how that works for a business,

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Are you just randomly selling stuff a few times a year?   I would say no.

Are you wanting to build a business and want to attract a following?  I would say yes.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@dukesoz wrote:

What do you mean by “business name”? Do you have a separate free standing business? Do you want to use that name as your e-bay name?

Those of us who have been here seemingly forever have been grand-fathered in. But I recall quite some years ago that eBay established a policy that your e-bay name could not be the same as you free standing business. The fear was that someone would do a Google search, discover your separate business and buy there instead of on eBay. Therefore eBay loses their FVF.

I suspect that is one of the reasons they did away with “real” email addresses. In my case, for instance, the part after the @ was my independent web site. Not too hard to find my web site.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Hi, just an FYI—below is the policy regarding the selection of an eBay username, for your perusal. There are guidelines. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/identity-policies/username-policy?id=4235#

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

But I recall quite some years ago that eBay established a policy that your e-bay name could not be the same as you free standing business. The fear was that someone would do a Google search, discover your separate business and buy there instead of on eBay. Therefore eBay loses their FVF.

I suspect that is one of the reasons they did away with “real” email addresses. In my case, for instance, the part after the @ was my independent web site. Not too hard to find my web site.

I can't recall when Ebay established this policy (been here since 2003) 

In the past it was always (almost 🙂 guaranteed to find the best prices for the most interesting items on Ebay,

prices used to be very competitive and reasonable.

But not anymore, nowadays,  sellers must "invest" in Promoting their listings it leads to higher prices which is unnecessary,

No buyer wants to be shown the listing with the highest Promoted Listing paid by seller...

When sellers have their own independent web sites as well,  they can be found easily, as long as they have the same name.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

That is so helpful, thank you.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

My 2 cents.  When I started to sell (Not on ebay).  I started to sell running shirts to other runners, that I knew.  I spend a lot of time thinking about what business name I should have.  I got my business license and bank account.  I got a designer to design my logo, and messages on the shirts with running messages.  Only to sell less than 50 shirts.  I spend more than $1500 on this business, only to give up.  And end up with the credit card debt.

Now, I don't care about the business name.  Or even getting a business license.  Or a nice logo.  I don't need it.  Just keep it simple.  Don't over think things.

Good luck on your selling journey!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@dukesoz wrote:

You're welcome.

I narrowed it down to 3 for you from a near infinite amount of answers from the way your question was worded.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Interesting that you've marked your own posts as the solutions to your problem.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply