cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sending private offer to buyer in watch list

I was wondering if anyone knows how to do this. Last night I put an item in my watch list. The next day I recieved an offer from the seller. I had never contacted the seller to ask for an offer. The same offer apparantly went to everyone that was watching the item.

As a seller I think it is a great tool. The only thing is that the seller was a Charity/Helping Hands listing so I don't know if this is available to all sellers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays

Jim

ebay offer.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: sending private offer to buyer in watch list

Somehow I've always been under the impression that sellers were not able to find out the identity of those buyers who had placed their items on their watch list.  One reason would be because a great many people who put things on their watch lists are not actually potential buyers, but people who have a similar item and just want to see what that one sells for.  

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The offer wasn't initiated by the seller.

eBay sent a message to the seller saying something to the effect of "you have watchers, offer a discount to your watchers and they might buy", sellers submits the discount and eBay forwards the deal to the watchers.

There is no way to directly find out who is watching your listing.

eBay does a similar thing with items that are in buyers carts and again the seller can't directly contact a buyer who has the item in their cart.

None of these offers are "private" eBay will send them to anyone/everyone who is watching (if they have their preferences set to receive them).

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the reply Mr McGill.

I was familiar with the Cart offers, but that only brings you to the listing itselft to lower the price or add best offer. I also forgot to mention, and it looks like  the photo cutoff, but there was a note from the seller, similar to when you send a best offer to someone. I checked the listing and there is no discount mentionted.

Thanks

Jim

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I forgot to mention that there was a message from the seller. Most of the times when a price is dropped we get a basic message that there was a price drop. This one seems a little more directed.

ebay offer1.jpg

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Guessing it is tied into every time someone puts an item in a cart or on a watch ebay sends me a message to close the deal and basically give it away with a big suggested markdown. haha! 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

This is new. We have talked about it on the boards in the last couple of weeks. eBay is now providing a tool for sellers to spam their watchers. As primarily a buyer I HATE this. If a seller sent me an unsolicited offer I would never buy from them. Never.

i have over a hundred items on my watchlist. Imagine my potential inbox.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

ONly some sellers can do it. I was on my husbands store the other day and I notice the button to send offer to watchers on watched items. He has the button and I don't . We have same size store, he has been selling much longer than me. Only difference I seen. Ebay said they were testing it out with some sellers.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply