cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selling an item that was paid for from a buyers account by a third party

I sold an item on 7/5 and mailed it out today.  Tonight I was notified by ebay that it was fraud on someones account and a third party used the account without authorization.  I have to notify paypal.  I researched the address and found an article from back on 9/16 that the address I shipped the item to, that ebay has known that address is where fraudulent purchases are sent.  THEY STILL HAVE NOT BOTHERED TO NOTIFY SELLERS OF THIS AND IT CONTINUES ALMOST A YEAR LATER!  But ebay is not responsible?  I think they are very responsible.  They can send you notifications about everything else, but when it comes to saving sellers from being stolen from, it's too much work?  I am furious.  Try to contact paypal and they are having issues so you cannot talk to anyone. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Go to the Post Office first thing tomorrow and recall your package.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If you mailed to the address given by paypal.........they will cover you...........

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@willowexpress  Did you ship the package to the address provided on the PayPal transaction?  If yes, then you are covered by Seller Protection policies and won't be out any money.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

It's quite possible that the address that you are referring to is a reshipper which may have hundreds of different buyers shipping there.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You're misunderstanding what happened here.  The address has no connection to the fraudulent purchase-- it's most likely a reshipper that has thousands of legitimate clients as well as a few less than savory ones.  What happened was that someone from another country hacked that buyer's account and changed the ship to address to the reshipper.  The reshipper's job is to pack up the items and forward them to the foreign buyers-- they have no idea whether the transaction was legitimate or not because they don't do the purchasing.  They're just a forwarding service.  The buyers (legit or not) are the ones who buy the items and have them shipped to the reshipper.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I had a buyer over 2 years ago have her information compromised and forgot that she ordered something from me.  It was after the item was just delivered, and PP refunded her.  I called PP up and asked what the deal was and why she got a refund without a case opened.  They said she had cards stolen and so on.  They gave me a courtesy refund because of this.  She emailed me a week later offering to repay because she felt bad they automatically refunded and she kept the dress.  So, it can be straightened out in your favor.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@willowexpress wrote:

I sold an item on 7/5 and mailed it out today.  Tonight I was notified by ebay that it was fraud on someones account and a third party used the account without authorization.  I have to notify paypal.   

Right, and when you do, you will need to provide the tracking number for your shipment. In an Unauthorized Use dispute, you need only provide proof of shipping, not delivery; it doesn't matter whether the item arrived (or where).

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

This happened to me last month.  Apparently someone in the UK's account was hacked and the person bought a wallet from me and changed the address to somewhere in CA.  I shipped the package to the address in CA that Ebay provided me.  The next day after I shipped I received a notice from ebay saying Oops don't ship.  I contacted ebay and complained that I had shipped to the address already they provided and had tracking to prove it.  They immediately refunded me.  So if you can prove that you shipped the item to the address ebay provided you should be okay.  Good Luck.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply