cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seller complaint in my email...not in my messages

i received an email yesterday from service@ebay stating i had an item complaint and my response was required and had a case number followed by a bunch of random numbers and letters with no body to the letter. i got on my ebay figuring i would have a message but nothing, nada.  figuring it was a phishing scam i changed my password .  has anyone else had this happen?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: seller complaint in my email...not in my messages

@flyerpro27 wrote:

i received an email yesterday from service@ebay stating i had an item complaint and my response was required and had a case number followed by a bunch of random numbers and letters with no body to the letter. i got on my ebay figuring i would have a message but nothing, nada.  figuring it was a phishing scam i changed my password .  has anyone else had this happen?

I have many times.

Was your real name on the email.  If it was fr m ebay it would be.

For me if it is not in my ebay email, I delete it.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yes, I just had it happen to me. I posted about it:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/A-new-scam/m-p/27688339#M1077839

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

in the body of the email it stated my name but then was followed by "this message could not be displayed"
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

thats exactly what my email said. thanks
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Aloha

If it is not in your ebay messaging, then do not trust it.

Better safe than sorry

GOLDSCHMIDT COMPANY Licensed Business & GIA Alumni operating out of the north shore of Oahu, Hawaii. We have over 15 years of experience selling antiques, including watches, gold, silver, scrap, art, gemstones including diamonds, opal, amber, turquoise, rare wood.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I agree, however Ebay has made it extremely difficult to know for sure if these types of emails are scams or not.  Ebay sometimes uses a 3rd party to send out some of their emails to sellers.  I received one a month or two ago.  It was not in My Messages, but it was a legit Ebay email.  

I even sent it to spoof@ebay.com and they said it wasn't an Ebay email, but with more research, the help of a couple of good CSRs, we learned it was an Ebay email.

But I'm totally with the you and the others.  I would never click on a link in an email or let something download from these types of emails.  

Ebay really needs to do a better job with stuff like this.  MUCH better!!!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

How to tell if an email is really from eBay

The easiest way to make sure an email is from us is to check your messages in My eBay. Go to My eBay, and then click the Messages tab. If you don't see the same message there, the email is fake.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/recognizing-spoof.html

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

>>Was your real name on the email. If it was fr m ebay it would be.

With all the data breaches (including the eBay one with names, addresses, birthdates, phone numbers, enail addresses....), that is no longer an absolute indicator. A phishing email can very well have your name on it now, and the bad guys are getting better at integrating and managing those large stolen data sets to make their phishing emails look more legitimate.

At this point the only absolute way to confirm legitimacy is to see a mirror copy in eBay messages.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@siayan wrote:

The easiest way to make sure an email is from us is to check your messages in My eBay. Go to My eBay, and then click the Messages tab. If you don't see the same message there, the email is fake.

Normally great advice, but this does not appear to be the case anymore.  Ebay HAS sent messages directly to members and those emails did NOT appear in M2M on Ebay.  It happened to me and many other members.  Here is an article about and I encourage everyone to take a moment and read it.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2017/9/1505091214.html

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@siayan wrote:

Normally great advice, but this does not appear to be the case anymore.  Ebay HAS sent messages directly to members and those emails did NOT appear in M2M on Ebay.  It happened to me and many other members.  Here is an article about and I encourage everyone to take a moment and read it.

If it is not in your ebay email, but through regular email, and you are not sure, give ebay a call and verifiy it.

Also, yes, I forgot abut the incident where spoofers now use your real name.  So again if it is not in ebay email, and you are not sure, then verify it through ebaty.

And I have learned from experience - change your passwords every three months.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@siayan wrote:

If it is not in your ebay email, but through regular email, and you are not sure, give ebay a call and verifiy it.

Also, yes, I forgot abut the incident where spoofers now use your real name.  So again if it is not in ebay email, and you are not sure, then verify it through ebaty.

And I have learned from experience - change your passwords every three months.

I agree 100% but it just isn't that easy anymore. 

I sent that email to spoof@ebay.com, they said it WAS a spoof and as it turns out it was NOT.

I brought it up on the Weekly chat and after their research they said it was a spoof.

Then I read that article on Ecommercebytes where they did some research and found it WAS an email FROM Ebay using a 3rd party company to generate it.  I brought that to the attention of the CSRs at the Weekly chat as well.  One got back to me and said it was correct, it was actually an email from Ebay.

I'm not at all trying to defend any of this.  Really it is the opposite.  Now as careful as we can be, we just can't be sure since Ebay has decided to now start using a 3rd party to generate emails from them and NOT have them show up in M2M.  They have complicated this and put us all at risk even MORE!

I'm with you however, if it does not show up in M2M, don't trust the email.  And NEVER click on a link or a download in an email you do not know for sure is the real deal.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@flyerpro27 wrote:

figuring it was a phishing scam i changed my password .

How does changing your password protect you from phishing?

Message 13 of 13
latest reply