cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

return request refund...how to proceed?

I just received a return request from a buyer...she has let her package sit at the p.o. for about 1.5 months now.

( it's very perishable & I have actually called her p.o. 3 times now over the course of checking the  tracking & seeing it was still available for pickup which it was always still sitting at the p.o.  )

In her return request ( refund desired ) she said she picked it up a few days ago, tracking is showing this not to be true as is  her p.o. ( I just called them to see if it was still there, it is.) 

Ebay said I am fine and not to worry, it's in my favor since it's past the 30 day money back guarantee and this issue  will clear out in 3 days.  In the meantime,  paypal  also has my funds in a negative balance, thanks to this, but said that would work out when ebay clears the problem out. 

Question is, per the return request, should I reply to any of the options which are below:  (  I failed to ask ebay about this since they said they have my back on this one ) . Also, should I reply back to the buyer at all?

Nothing is showing in my resolution center, I'm guessing, because it has gone beyond the 30 day mbg. but am a bit worried if I reply to any of the options it could possibly open/start a case?  I honestly don't know. 

Options below:

Accept the return
You pay for shipping and can send our return label or your own. Wait to get the item back before you refund the buyer.
Give a full refund
You fully refund the buyer to close this request. The buyer keeps the item.
Offer a partial refund
You have one chance to offer an amount. The buyer keeps the item.
Decline the return
This will automatically close the buyer's request.
Send the buyer a message
You can reply to the buyer.

One last question, the p.o. said they are going to have to return this to me very soon, will I be responsible for the return shipping and the additional insurance I had put on it since it was over  $ 50.00 USPS insured?
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I would decline the return 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I'm actually shocked that the PO hasn't sent it back to you yet or trashed it since it is perishable. 

I'd decline the return request. Then call and report buyer for filing a false return and abuse of MBG as buyer never picked up. (Do you know why buyer didn't pick up? Was a signature required? Undeliverable?) Add buyer to blocked list. 

Buyer can still come back through Paypal for a refund, so be prepared to appeal. Might want to get letter from USPS on their letterhead about package sitting there and not being picked up (with dates). 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If the item is unclaimed or refused by the recipient, the P.O. will return it to you at no charge.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@charity_scents wrote:

I'm actually shocked that the PO hasn't sent it back to you yet or trashed it since it is perishable. 

I'd decline the return request. Then call and report buyer for filing a false return and abuse of MBG as buyer never picked up. (Do you know why buyer didn't pick up? Was a signature required? Undeliverable?) Add buyer to blocked list. 

Buyer can still come back through Paypal for a refund, so be prepared to appeal. Might want to get letter from USPS on their letterhead about package sitting there and not being picked up (with dates). 

I think the pkg. will be getting mailed back to me soon, her p.o. must have dropped the ball on that a few weeks ago in doing so, just not sure how/why.   It was sig. required and she knew beforehand that was how it was being shipped.  Her tracking showed, when it got to her home , as no secure location available, notice left. ( actually there were supposed to have been THREE notices left in her mailbox)  Seems she just decided to just let it  at the p.o. all this time .

So you think ( I am seeing the the option on the return request to do so ) to report the problem buyer in addition to my already declining the return request?   Or again, could that open up more problems that I don't want to have to deal with since this will close out tom. anyway per ebay, in my favor?

I fully do expect her to try and get paypal to refund the money, doubt the headaches are going to end after ebay takes care of their end of it tom. but they have been very helpful as have all of you guys that have responded ,  thanks so much everyone !

p.s.  just checked paypal, the money is now out of a neg. balance and back where it should have been before this, I just took it all out and tucked it away in my bank.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply