cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refund & returns wrong Item

Hi Im getting ready to list some rare glass wear and have a question , what if the buyer gets the item and says they dont want it for whatever reason and sends it back with out insurance and it gets damaged or sends something they switched out (mines is better and there's is beat up) or the wrong item , the way ebay hold the money for the seller and then gives it back to the buyer if they complain  , I could be getting nothing and the buyer would have my item for free ,is there anyway  I could get the money or what do they does ebay do about buyer fraud? ,   The Item would be  Insured shipped to the buyer ,  Thanks

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: refund & returns wrong Item

@6444101st  I give you credit for covering quite a few scenarios that could possibly happen in that short post ... and there would be little you can do about them.  However, keep in mind that if true collectors are the Buyers for what you are selling then THEY are more concerned that YOU pack the item well so it arrives safely and they can add it to their collection.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Whichever party pays for the return label is responsible for loss or damage. If you get a request to return and want insurance to protect yourself, pay for insurance.

In reality, buyers often claim an item is not as described to the seller is responsible for return shipping.

Buyer fraud is to online shopping as shoplifting and employee theft is to brick and mortar retail.  It is what it is.  Sometimes, the scamming buyer is another eBay seller.

Do a risk assessment before you list, which means asking yourself if you can afford to lose your investment (you cannot lose both the item and the money).  Most people are honest.  Collectible glasssware is certainly not a fraud magnet like electronics are but, like I said, only you can decide your level of risk.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

you said I can not loose both, what if they send back the same thing (theirs)  

but damaged or they swaped it out with a worst condition item,  what I want to know is do I have the chance to tell ebay or paypal that they sent the wrong thing back before they give a refund, it happened to a friend of mine about 5yrs ago who sold a $5000 bamboo fly rod and the guy sent it back with a beat up piece of junk not worth $10 and the seller lost out,  Thanks

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hi

I've actually had someone return an item that wasn't mine and I won due to the fact that I marked mine with a black lite marker and took a pic of the marking (I didn't include the pic in the listing 🙂 anyhow the buyer kept saying the glass was chipped scratched etc. So of course return for full refund (what else are you going to do???)

BTW my listings state that the refund will be issued AFTER I verify the item returned is the item shipped.

I get the bowl back and it WAS NOT mine, it was in horrible condition. I took pics and asked the buyer if they made a mistake and returned the wrong item & I attached the photos.

Oh no they said that was the piece they received. I asked if it had been cleaned in any way, perhaps causing the damage (and removing my marking.) Again they stated no, this was exactly how they received it.

That's when I pulled out my additional pics with my marking showing under a black lite, and using a black lite on their piece, surprise no markings!!!!  

Called EBay (actually got a rep. in the USA, that helped) had them look at the e-mails and pics and they closed in my favor, buyer had to pay to get their bowl back!

Sometimes things do work out...invest in the marker and a black lite. Take pics and keep a record.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

What you describe is a fraudulent or faulty return. While this can happen, there are sellers here that report such things and often the buyer can get away with it, it is a rare occurrence in most categories.

The seller is generally not protected in such matters so there is some risk to the seller. I have two selling accounts and in all my years of selling, I have never experienced such a thing, ever. I sell mostly in antiques, furniture, collectibles, glassware, pottery, equestrian tack.

I think it can happen in some categories like parts for vehicles, computers, electronic gaming, clothing, etc.but by in large most buyers are wanting to get their item and keep it.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

How rare are we talking? 

With a zero feedback selling account you are more likely to encounter problems. Why don't you continue to list lower end items until you've built up some feedback, say, over 100. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Vernon pretty much got most of the points right. Nowadays, you have considerably more Buyer and Seller Proof technology at your disposal, the only thing is that you gotta find someone willing to listen to reason and willing to take an unbiased approach in how something is solved. 

So, always check your bases:

1. Did you take photographs before-and-after?
  2. Did you take photographs detailing how it was packed?
  3. Did you insure the package during shipping?
  4. Did you contact the buyer before it escalated?
  5. Did you do everything in your power to protect your investment, make the buyer as satisfied as possible, and protect yourself in the process? Can you prove all of this to eBay through eBay's tools?

I, personally, would only do those to such an extent for items worth so much in value. If I'm selling an item that's Refurbished, then I like to state in the Description exactly what was done to it. I also like to state how an item will be shipped in an effort to quell buyer's suspicions of protection  -- some people want an item to be shipped inside of a Box, rather than an Envelope, for example.

Another thing to note is that this will most likely only occur 20% of the time and you shouldn't blame the 80% of your buyers for the 20% of aholes trying to rip you off. 

Additionally, while it is good to delve into possible scenarios and protect yourself as much as possible by pre-planning worst-case scenarios, it's also not the best idea to expect every sale to be a worst-case scenario.

Lastly, it's good to also take additional considerations into account. For example, what can you to at a small cost to decrease the likelihood that something bad will occur?

1. Can you afford to ship it via USPS Priority Mail 1-3 Days or USPS Priority Express Mail 1 Day? Doing so will place your item on the absolute top level of priority for shipping and ensure significantly less chance for damage to occur enroute to its destination. 
  2. Have you thought of shipping your glassware in Foam? You can either wrap it in foam or customize your own foam cut and buy bland foam sizes. Here's an example for some cheap foam: http://www.foambymail.com/packaging-foam.html

Taking these steps also can help sell your item if you let the buyer know that it will be placed in extra care packaging and that the shipping will be faster. Again, every extra step that you take will help ensure that eBay's Policy Upholders will recognize your efforts to be a good seller and help them see that you're not in the wrong should the situation arise. 

If you don't take risks, then you'll receive no reward.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for all the good advise, as for the zero rating I dont want to even get in to that, I had cancer and almost died,  I did not use my ebay acct for about 4 yrs I had about 2000 feed back with 100% + and had been on since 96 0r 97 when I went to use it ebay said it I was no longer a registed user and I would have to start all over again, The questions Im asking is that a lot has changed since I used ebay all I hear is that sellers have no protection anymore,  i understand to build up some feedback but at 10 items a months it will take a year. and yes I called ebay and spoke with them 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@pineywoods1 wrote:

Thanks for all the good advise, as for the zero rating I dont want to even get in to that, I had cancer and almost died,  I did not use my ebay acct for about 4 yrs I had about 2000 feed back with 100% + and had been on since 96 0r 97 when I went to use it ebay said it I was no longer a registed user and I would have to start all over again, The questions Im asking is that a lot has changed since I used ebay all I hear is that sellers have no protection anymore,  i understand to build up some feedback but at 10 items a months it will take a year. and yes I called ebay and spoke with them 

@6444101st  - Most buyers don't dig through feedback details -- looking at your overall number/percentage is often all they bother to do.

You can rack up some feedback numbers easily by buying some (even low-cost) items on your selling ID to get you started.  Sellers can only leave 100% positive feedback for buyers so your score would benefit, too.  

Doing so would make you less of a target for scammers who prey on what they perceive to be inexperienced sellers whom won't know what hit them until the money and often the item is gone.

HTH

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Sorry about your cancer, glad it must be in remission since you are selling again, least i hope so. 

The motto here is don't list it if you can't afford to lose it. Take that to heart. 

That said, most don't encounter the true rip off theft, it's a minority, but the thing to remember is that it does happen and no, ebay does not have your back and will refund the buyer in full. Glassware is perhaps on the lower end of the scale of theft, most theft is cell phones and laptops and other electronics. The risk is still there though. Nobody can promise you one way or the other that you will or won't get stolen from. 

Pack well, USPS is still brutal with packages even though they are better than they used to be. Mounds of bubblewrap and other assorted filler double box if necessary, insure if necessary. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thanks everyone for all the good advise, its not just glass wear but luckly it not cell phones and that type of thing, mostly antiques from father in laws estate and he has some expensive things he collected over the years Huge fenton collection , antique tackle and such. its crazy some of the lures he has (had) you could have bought a car for what he paid for one, If I have any more questions I, know where to go Thanks again

Message 12 of 12
latest reply