cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Offensive" Black Memorabilia...

O.K., after having TWO listings of VINTAGE Black Americana TAKEN DOWN... Any idea WHAT items might be 'Non-Offensive' enough to be listed in this ACTIVE Category Choice  ?

Shipping is not an entitlement, it's a convenience.
Convenience costs money.
Shipping ain't free.
All Customers have a need,
Some are more needy than others.
Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

I got nothing. Makes you wonder why the category is there.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

No.  Apparently it is ALL offensive until proven otherwise.  Of course, there is no "proof" to give or that will be accepted presently.   The category remains, but you take your chances of listing there until they "tame down" the bots.  It was suggested in another thread that ebay is using "real humans" for the takedowns, but  there is evidence to the contrary unless the "humans" are from another country and clueless.  

There are other threads on this issue you may wish to consult. 

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

That's easy.  Just pick an item that doesn't offend anyone.   😉

I'm serious but joking at the same time.  Nowdays it's very easy to offend someone. Apparently ebay's answer is ... ban it from being listed.  

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 4 of 47
latest reply

A seller recently posted that they had some Martin Luther King memorabilia removed as offensive.

Apparently Ebay thinks one of the greatest men of the past several centuries is offensive. 😠

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 47
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

No.  Apparently it is ALL offensive until proven otherwise.  

My favorite quote of the day!

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

A seller recently posted that they had some Martin Luther King memorabilia removed as offensive.

Apparently Ebay thinks one of the greatest men of the past several centuries is offensive. 😠

How about our Commander In Chief?  Llike him or not, i could think of a few people (maybe 3 or 4)  who might find him offensive.  😉

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

Easier to pillage and plunder when all the stuff is in one place? 

I think Easter Island head figurines are OK... haven't heard any complaints yet.  I think they are green though, not sure. 

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

I wonder what eBay will be banning next ?

only the future will can tell I guess
Message 9 of 47
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

No.  Apparently it is ALL offensive until proven otherwise.  Of course, there is no "proof" to give or that will be accepted presently.   The category remains, but you take your chances of listing there until they "tame down" the bots.  It was suggested in another thread that ebay is using "real humans" for the takedowns, but  there is evidence to the contrary unless the "humans" are from another country and clueless.  

There are other threads on this issue you may wish to consult. 

The bots are acting like grumpy vindictive humans. Ban the Bots!

-------------
Posting ID
Message 10 of 47
latest reply

The bots are acting like grumpy vindictive humans. Ban the Bots!

Contact Customer Service.   

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

Frankly, it appears that in usual eBay fashion they have taken things to extremes.  Of course, judging from what I've heard about companies renaming their products and retiring their company logos in order to appease anyone that shouts that they find it offensive, perhaps eBay is merely bowing to mob rule.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 12 of 47
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Same reason why sellers can "appeal" returns.  eBay wants to set their sellers up for failure.  I am guessing they are leaving the category up so people don't just unknowingly miscategorize the items???

If a category is banned why not leave it up, stop people from listing in it, and give a link to the policy if they try.  I dunno, seems better to me than setting people up for failure I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

@echo_and_zip 

This whole thing is a knee jerk reaction ... where does one draw the line?  What's next, Civil War items from swords to toy soldiers? ... what should the name of the White House be changed to?  "House of many colors?"  or maybe just "The President's Pad?" 

Has eBay actually received copious amounts of complaints from a certain group of Americans?  No, I doubt it ... complaints can NOT be substantiated anyway unless they are a video phone call ... and we KNOW that isn't happening.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 14 of 47
latest reply

@7606dennis 

... or growing up? Becoming socially aware?

I grew up with brands like Aunt Jemima but, for crying out loud, the character is based on a really offensive song and the image - no matter a few updates - is downright antebellum. It wasn’t even a complimentary representation in its original.

These things we grew up with were tone deaf at best and racially derogatory at worst. They only seem harmless or cute or nostalgic because they were never directed at us.

Message 15 of 47
latest reply