cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"If the buyer accepts your offer, immediate payment is not required"

Can someone explain the logic for this?  I don't have best offer on my listings, but occasionally somene will message me an offer anyway.  If I reply back to them and send an official offer, that they can accept or deny, why wouldn't the buyer be required to pay immediately upon accepting the offer?  I can somewhat understand the logic on a listing that has BO where the seller would be the one who has to accept or deny the offer, but it just doesn't make sense to me that a buyer wouldn't be required to pay as normal when they accept my offer, just as if they had clicked BIN and had to pay immediately.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: "If the buyer accepts your offer, immediate payment is not required"

Buyer may not be in a location where they can pay for the item right away.

I don't have PayPal on my phone.  I don't want it there.  I can accept offers through the eBay app though.

- Suzanne -
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@scga912 wrote:

I don't have PayPal on my phone.  I don't want it there.  I can accept offers through the eBay app though.

You wouldn’t need PayPal on your phone; you’d pay through eBay checkout, as part of the acceptance process.

I agree with the OP. IPR should be enforced when the buyer accepts an offer or a counter-offer.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

... but it just doesn't make sense to me that a buyer wouldn't be required to pay as normal when they accept my offer, just as if they had clicked BIN and had to pay immediately.

100% in agreement with you ... just another of the myriad reasons I don’t do “Best Offer”.

If someone does send me a message that has an acceptable offer, I actually change my listing to reflect the agreed upon offer, price & shipping. Then I message the buyer back, indicating the listing is now reflecting our agreement and they are free to purchase, but also warning them that the listing is still open to other buyers, so they may want to consider making their purchase “sooner rather than later”. I also put a time limit on our agreement, usually 24 to 48 hours, at which point the listing will revert to it’s previous price.

I’m not going to play that eBay game of tying up my listing because it has an “offer” thru the messaging system or the buyer purchases and then doesn’t pay.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@scga912 wrote:

You wouldn’t need PayPal on your phone; you’d pay through eBay checkout, as part of the acceptance process.

I agree with the OP. IPR should be enforced when the buyer accepts an offer or a counter-offer.

I don't engage in financial transactions on my phone. 

- Suzanne -
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

While you are complaining about the amount of time ebay is giving the buyers time to pay it is still just a offer and can expire. The plus side is that while the buyer waits to pay you still could sell the item at full price to another buyer. The main thing is to wait for the payment received message then print the shipping label because you got paid.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@mikgile-39 wrote:

While you are complaining about the amount of time ebay is giving the buyers time to pay it is still just a offer and can expire. The plus side is that while the buyer waits to pay you still could sell the item at full price to another buyer. The main thing is to wait for the payment received message then print the shipping label because you got paid.

That doesn't seem to be how it works, as far as I understand it anyway.  I just sold an item that way and when the buyer accepted the offer I received a notification that said "Sold Awaiting Payment".  Fortunately, the buyer did pay for it within just a few minutes, but it seemed to be off the market before any payment was made.  I'll probably just take other people's advice and revise the listing if I ever encounter that situation again.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

The ability for sellers to make an offer is pretty new.  While it's certainly possible that ebay will add IPR to those offers eventually, that's a lot of programming to solve not much of a problem.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You may not have noticed, but now if you DON'T allow offers, you have to pay an additional 35 cents per listing. I find this ridiculous. I do auctions for a reason. If I wanted to sell to the first person to make an offer, I'd do something different, like Buy It Now. I want the highest amount I can get for all the stuff I'm selling.

If something doesn't sell during the first week I list it, I may decide to relist and accept offers. But this box is always checked as the default now and automatic relisting is now the default, and if I don't want that, I have to go through a bunch of **bleep** to get rid of it. I would always uncheck accept offers. If something didn't sell for what I wanted it, I prefer to relist it at a later date than have it relist and have to take less than I wanted.

When I tried to uncheck accept offers this past Sunday when I was setting up my listings, there was a notice at the bottom of my listings there would now be this fee if I didn't accept offers. So naturally, I went ahead and left it checked because who needs more fees.

Of course, I can simply ignore the offers, but then I'm getting people messaging me about their offers. Did I see the offer? What did I think? I don't want to have to tend the auctions all week. It's bad enough that people don't READ the description and message me asking if I combine shipping, which if they just READ the **bleep** thing, they would see that I do. Grrrrr....

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@mikgile-39 wrote:

The plus side is that while the buyer waits to pay you still could sell the item at full price to another buyer.

Wrong. Once the offer is accepted, it’s a transaction, and the listing ends. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply