cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'quick view'- auuggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

How many years have we heard add photos. Surveys say people are more likely to buy with photos. AND EBAY IS THROWING A 'QUICK VIEW' BANNER OVER THE ENTIRE PHOTO!  HAVE THEY GONE INSANE? Someone wanted to look good and suggested this? And they tested this and it came out good idea? Has anyone ever heard of a phrase called impulse buy? Where someone is looking but not committed and they have a photo catch their eye and think that looks good, yeah I'll go ahead. You think Amazon is going to hide all their listings behind a banner? It's splashed across like it's some kind of secret what's behind it. So people are going to think what is Ebay hiding? Not even on the bottom of the picture- right through it! How is anyone going to compete with other sites showing their pictures if they're on ebay hidden? Click on something and open another site- you're going to get pop up windows all over of items just like what you were looking at- pictures of items! PICTURES! You're not going to get pop up windows of banners. You get pictures! Someone is trying to sabotage ebay.

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: 'quick view'- auuggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I did a google search and the OP's was the only one I saw addressing it.

Message 16 of 61
latest reply

@turnsby777 wrote:

Could you imagine trying to sell these? I couldn't buy on ebay with this-

quick.jpg

Hi @turnsby777, for me the Quick View banner only appears when I hover my mouse over the image of a listing. What internet browser are you using? Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies? Is the browser up-to-date? 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 17 of 61
latest reply

When I view those listings I see pictures and no banner.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 18 of 61
latest reply

I got similar results with the Quick View banner showing up in the thumbnails of search results when using Chrome browser on my phone this morning. No banners when using Chrome browser on my PC though. Clearing cookies on my phone's browser did not do away with the banners. Possibly this may be related only to mobile devices and not the desktop platform?

Message 19 of 61
latest reply

@coffeebean832 

I've only ever seen that on an individual listing as I was scrolling over the search photo with a mouse.

I see that as well. This appears to be a new feature.

If I click on an individual banner that appears as I hover, I get a blown up gallery view of the item pictures without actually opening the item page. When I close that gallery, that banner sticks in the search results, but only for the most recently viewed gallery; if I hover and click on another, the first goes away for me. So I am unable to recreate the OP's results of every listing image having the banner.

After some experimentation with an ad blocker, I think I have found a rule that will block the banners (and hopefully nothing else). For the OP or anyone else who wants to block the "quick view" banners and that feature, try adding the following code to your ad blocker's custom filter list:

www.ebay.com##A[class="s-item__gallery-plus lens-item s-item__gallery-plus--v1"]

When I use that filter, I no longer see the banner when I hover, and I can no longer get the blown up gallery on the search results page. Clicking on the image opens the item page as before.

Message 20 of 61
latest reply

@tcpjs 

I got similar results with the Quick View banner showing up in the thumbnails of search results when using Chrome browser on my phone this morning. No banners when using Chrome browser on my PC though. Clearing cookies on my phone's browser did not do away with the banners. Possibly this may be related only to mobile devices and not the desktop platform?

I currently do not see the banners at all on my phone using Chrome 76 in desktop or mobile view, or on the app. I only see the banners if I hover over an image on the search results page when using a browser on my desktop machine.

Message 21 of 61
latest reply

A lot of response- thanks for attention, this is really important! I am up to date on everything, IE 11, update defender & all that. This came out of nowhere. I have not clicked or downloaded anything odd. When I click on that quick view I get just that, the picture. I cannot get rid of this banner! I can't see anything! You learn quickly how important pictures are- I doubt I would buy off ebay with this- it takes too long to click on every single listing to see what is behind it!

If this is new ebay view- ebay is toast.

If it's a glitch- how many people get this and never know it's wrong? They just say ebay stinks & go off to other sites. Either way is not good. That quick view should be taken down period. It's redundant anyway, you can click on listing as easily as picture. 

Message 22 of 61
latest reply

Did you try other browsers? IE is about ready to go bye bye anyway.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 23 of 61
latest reply

@skidog 

How do I get rid of the "quick view" lettering over the listing photo?

Are you seeing that on multiple item images in your search results, as in the pictures above in this thread?

Which browser are you using? Do you see the same thing in other browsers? If you clear cache and cookies in your original browser, do you still see multiple banners? How about if you disable extensions?

The "quick view" banner is only supposed to appear when you hover your mouse cursor over the image in search results. Clicking on the banner should bring up a gallery of images without actually opening the item listing.

Message 24 of 61
latest reply

If this helps- I clicked on a quick view to inspect element and it gave this- quickinspect.jpg

Message 25 of 61
latest reply

I just opened my Internet Explorer 11 to try that, but I don't have a quick view like you. Only a quick view rectangle that shows up when I hover over an image.

image.png

What if you try using some of those options and see what happens when you change them?

image.png

@turnsby777 I think you clicked "Properties" instead of "Inspect Element". I don't see how that would help, though.

Is there any reason for you to be using IE instead of another browser (eg: search "Google Chrome" on google and it installs quick&easy)?

Message 26 of 61
latest reply

The post was not about How do I get rid of the "quick view" lettering over the listing photo?

It was concern this is the way ebay is going- to throw a quick view over pictures. They emailed this week a new round of item specifics, never know what they will do next. I just opened ebay and pictures gone, banner there. Same browser, same cache, no problems. So if other people don't have this it's either a) something going on with my views or b) it hasn't hit other users yet. Will have to call ebay to see if this is new setup, never seen a quick view before. Tell you this- people won't bother with all this- they're going to move on, there are a lot of other sites on internet. They sure aren't going to spend time calling ebay- if they even know it's not suppose to look like this. Quick view. Never heard of saying- kiss.

Message 27 of 61
latest reply

I don't think ebay added this and will ever add. It seems like a test on an old browser that is close to death.

You can either stay with IE, have quick view or move on to another website which could be doing the same, or get a newer browser that works much better than IE and doesn't have quick view banners.

Message 28 of 61
latest reply

Also, are you sure nobody has touched your computer, or you didn't set some option by mistake the last time you used it?

Message 29 of 61
latest reply

@turnsby777 

"The post was not about How do I get rid of the "quick view" lettering over the listing photo?"

You misunderstand. That quote is from another poster on another board -- the Member to Member board. I tagged that poster and quoted the entirety of his post hoping to lead him to this thread (and answer his question) since I cannot post on that board. It appears that he is seeing the same problem that you are. If we can figure out what you two have in common, we may be able to figure out what is going wrong.

Incidentally, I checked a machine with Windows 7 and IE 11 to see if I could recreate your problem; so far I am unable. The problem may be related to IE 11, but not every machine using IE 11 exhibits this problem. Have tried another browser yet?

Message 30 of 61
latest reply