cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

puzzled in 2024, not sure what to do

I increased my auctions but basically the only thing selling are manga. Which is great, not complaining. The problem is all the other stuff not selling. I am trying to puzzle it out but coming up with nothing. There could be an argument that auctions are not the way to go, that I should switch to fixed price. If I listed all that at fixed price my house would explode from storage. I do have a climate-controlled unit, should I stash listed stuff there? 

If this is a legit trend for 2024 I will have to do some hard thinking about how to use ebay. I've talked before about walking away but that is scary. Maybe not as scary as buying and listing stuff that won't sell though. 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: puzzled in 2024, not sure what to do

It's basically a giant pyramid scheme, or Ponzi scheme. It works in the beginning, but after a short while it creates massive problems and there is no going back. I think that is the problem on eBay. I've seen suggested ad rates hitting 18%. You can only give so much to eBay until you realize it's not worth your time and move on. Its destroying small businesses and making buyers pay more for an item. The eBay search is clearly broken. Unfortunately they do not seem to care because they are still collecting their fees. It's only a matter of time before buyers and sellers leave. In just the last 2 years eBay has made massive changes that have never been for the benefit of the seller. I used to recommend people sell on eBay and start a business. Now I wouldn't recommend anyone starting a business on eBay. It's like boarding the Titanic... 

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

@jupiter_collectibles wrote:

It's basically a giant pyramid scheme, or Ponzi scheme. It works in the beginning, but after a short while it creates massive problems and there is no going back. I think that is the problem on eBay. I've seen suggested ad rates hitting 18%. 

Ignore that 18%.  I'm part of that problem.  I tripled the price on an item in that category, and then I promoted it 50%.  

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

Jesus eBay really taking the pee now, they take the fees off the total inc VAT price, not my sales price also the promotion price off the total VAT price it’s a joke I sold an item £335 they add VAT £370 and take sales fee off £370 and promoted listing off £370, they never used to do that, they took the fees off the Sale price of the item, in this case £335, now I’m out of pocket again

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

Easy to say if you’re a weekend warrior who works 9-5 and does this on the side! 

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

I have 5 eBay accounts and sales have stopped here! Maybe a sale a week! I read recently that google came out with the Panda 4.0 search engine which was designed to promote company’s that don’t promote big business adds! Ebay took the second biggest hit of 33% drop in google search! You can google ( Is google panda killing ebay sales) to read about it! Ebay in 2017 made 91% of its profits from upfront fees and big business advertising! So do the math! 

eBay’s Algorithm is designed to favor buyers not sellers! It is designed to distribute the wealth evenly! In other words no one should have superiority as a seller over anyone else, hence you get a few sales this week and someone else who sells the same thing gets them next week! Your divided into classes on EBay based on frequency of categories or items you sell! If your item is scarce then the Algorithm boosts you higher in search! No competition! 

Let’s also not forget a failed economy and you had baby boomers dominating EBay when EBay was great! Today Baby Boomers are sellers not collectors! Also just too many people doing this and few collectors in general!

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

I came to Japan for work and there are many luxury discount stores here. I want to sell it on eBay. Don't know how to start. Look you have years of eBay experience. If possible, let's communicate.

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

I have things on eBay for months. I sell designer jeans I have them dirt cheap still nothing. So I packed up and took my Jeans to Marcari. The first day I made 150.00 also no Seller fees . The buyers are the one's that are paying almost all the fees. I still sold my Jeans. I was totally shocked but very happy.

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

@audiesrecordscds wrote:

I have 5 eBay accounts and sales have stopped here! Maybe a sale a week! I read recently that google came out with the Panda 4.0 search engine which was designed to promote company’s that don’t promote big business adds! Ebay took the second biggest hit of 33% drop in google search! You can google ( Is google panda killing ebay sales) to read about it! Ebay in 2017 made 91% of its profits from upfront fees and big business advertising! So do the math! 

eBay’s Algorithm is designed to favor buyers not sellers! It is designed to distribute the wealth evenly! In other words no one should have superiority as a seller over anyone else, hence you get a few sales this week and someone else who sells the same thing gets them next week! Your divided into classes on EBay based on frequency of categories or items you sell! If your item is scarce then the Algorithm boosts you higher in search! No competition! 

Let’s also not forget a failed economy and you had baby boomers dominating EBay when EBay was great! Today Baby Boomers are sellers not collectors! Also just too many people doing this and few collectors in general!

The economy is hardly 'failed' (though a few corporate greedflationers could use a kick in the nuts), but you're right about the baby boomers and too many people selling. That is probably the biggest problem - it's easy to sell online and the mystique has totally worn off. Meanwhile buyers have plenty of places to go.

The "algo" fails people who are not listing items that actually sell - for example, if someone has 2000 dusty musty collectibles that no one wants, or a lot of cheap mart clothing overpriced, they can't blame eBay's search because they don't sell much.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 38 of 40
latest reply

@suelovu wrote:

I have things on eBay for months. I sell designer jeans I have them dirt cheap still nothing. So I packed up and took my Jeans to Marcari. The first day I made 150.00 also no Seller fees . The buyers are the one's that are paying almost all the fees. I still sold my Jeans. I was totally shocked but very happy.

Some stuff sells better on other platforms - Mercari (not "Marcari" btw) has a younger demographic - I sell a lot of stuff on there that doesn't move here, but OTOH, I've moved stuff from there to here and it has sold in a day or two. So yeah, we need to spread the wealth. Congrats on the sales!

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 39 of 40
latest reply

Well, natoman777, you better price your items accurately or else us buyers will have nothing to do with overpriced BIN.

Message 40 of 40
latest reply