cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need tech person to help with my images

1) - first, pls confirm that you see blank boxes rather than images here in the **BODY** (description part) of my listing...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202615734315?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

(i need more images than ebay allows so the images here are critical)

2) then - if you do not see them, why did my images suddenly disappear?  it's been in the past day only.  i can force a view, but the buyer will not spend the time doing that.  anyone know what happened and how to fix it?

if you see them, i need to know so i can figure out what is wrong on my end.

thanks!1

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: need tech person to help with my images

@c.b. wrote:

1) - first, pls confirm that you see blank boxes rather than images here in the **BODY** (description part) of my listing...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202615734315?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

(i need more images than ebay allows so the images here are critical)

2) then - if you do not see them, why did my images suddenly disappear?  it's been in the past day only.  i can force a view, but the buyer will not spend the time doing that.  anyone know what happened and how to fix it?

if you see them, i need to know so i can figure out what is wrong on my end.

thanks!1

I see the images, as others mentioned they are loading VERY slowly.

The problem is one or both of the following:

- The image size is very large.

- Your host site is very slow.

The one image I looked at was resized to 400 x 450 but what is the size (kb) of the hosted image?

What kind of web hosting are you using? Not all are created equal, especially if you are using a cheap shared hosting package.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

this post has more detail than most people would care about, so this is only for those who are truly questioning the loading time and think it's extreme...

it's difficult to explain to those who have never had to worry about it... but a couple of tiny tics on a card can change the PSA grade from a 10 to a 9...and just a few more can change it from a 9 to an 8...etc.   The only way to estimate the true grade is a very detailed inspection of the card against a dark background--it's that specific.

in the most extreme examples, Charizards that have been graded PSA 10 will sell on ebay for between 20,000-40,000 dollars (wish i had one of those!)...a PSA 9 will only fetch about 5,000-7,000... and a PSA 8 is then "only" 2,500-4,500.  it goes down from there.  so, a few imperfections can change the value by thousands and even tens of thousands of dollars.

although these images do not represent that crazy level of value, the difference between the ones i have pictured and a beat-up card can be as much as 15-40 dollars EACH when graded-- depending on the card (multiply x 86 cards).

even though the price of this set is nowhere near sets of the highest grades, it is still high enough that it is real money.  someone who is serious about condition will be happy to wait for a high-res image to load, and those who do not want to wait are typically not going to be spending that much money to buy it.  in fact, i did not have the detailed images of individual cards on there initially, and i have had much better response since i put the images up.

hope that explains better why i am ok with the load times.  if not...you are free to compete with me without using hirez images, and if you do better, good for you!

again, thank you all. 🙂

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Why aren’t you sending them in to get graded?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

I see the images, as others mentioned they are loading VERY slowly.

The problem is one or both of the following:

- The image size is very large.

- Your host site is very slow.

The one image I looked at was resized to 400 x 450 but what is the size (kb) of the hosted image?

What kind of web hosting are you using? Not all are created equal, especially if you are using a cheap shared hosting package.

kilobytes?  LOL  yes, that is the issue.

the images were shot in raw format at about 22+ meg each.  i converted them down to about a 3mb (megabytes) each jpeg file.  and that means you are downloading a total of about 100 meg of images.  Not meant for the casual user.

i normally keep my images to no more than about 300-400kb (yes, normally kilobytes), but these particular images needed the detail--they are not just informational photos.

see my other post about why they are so detailed.

i am now convinced it's the memory issue.  i tried loading them on my same wifi network using an old dual-core laptop running windows 7 with the same browser.  the images loaded fine.  so, it has to be the memory on my devices.  it was just a coincidence that i have memory issues on both my desktop and my old smart phone.

thank you very much for your input.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
Why aren’t you sending them in to get graded?

good question!  i seriously considered it, but decided not to for 2 reasons...

1- Timing

This set has 86 cards in it.  unless i am willing to spend 20 dollars PER CARD, i would need to use the monthly special or the bulk rate.  that cost on a PSA 9/8 set would make sense, but not for this set.

the lowest price PSA offers now (they had rate increases) is 8 dollars per card if graded in bulk, but i would need to submit at least 100 cards to get that rate.  the monthly special allows us to submit less than 100, but then it is 10 dollars per card.   yet, the problem with either service is that now the bulk AND 'monthly special' turnaround times are 85 business days!   given that there tend to be about 20 business days per month (they subtract out holidays, too), that is about 4 1/2 months before the cards come back--including shipping times.

It is truly worth the wait for the higher-grade cards, but not for these.  PSA is working to bring the turnaround times down, but that is the timing for now.

2- Cost

As i explained in the listing, these would not grade quite high enough--after expenses.  a collector would do well to grade and keep them, since the cards are likely to go up in value.   but for selling (i need the money now), i would eat up most profits on grading.

as stated, i would expect them to grade between Near-Mint (7) and Excellent (5) in a PSA grade.  for the sake of calculations, let's say the cards all graded in the middle -- PSA 6, which is the EX-NM defined PSA grade.  then cards in this set would be worth about 8-30 dollars each, where a complete set will not be as valuable as the individual cards. (yet, the work of listing and shipping 86 cards makes it easy to accept the lower prices realized by selling them all in one set).

I actually don't know if a complete PSA 5-7 set has ever sold on ebay.  whether one has or not, it is unique enough that it could possibly garner a premium price.  but, that's a gamble.  obviously, as a seller, between the grading fee, the shipping costs (to and from PSA with insurance), the ebay fees and the paypal fees... cost per card will average around 10-14 dollars plus all the work of entering them into the PSA system/paperwork, sleeving them, getting them boxed up and shipped.   since these are almost all my own cards, the cost of the card itself is minimal...but you can add in about 5-10 dollars for those cards i had to buy--as i had to pay a bit more to ensure the cards were of the quality i needed for this set.

if it wasn't so much work, it would prob be worth a try.  and lots of collectors would surely love to have an all-PSA graded set--even if it is a lower-end set.

but, if i can sell this one as-is, i will.  it would save me the grief and would save the collector money by not having to pay for a graded set.  the buyer can always decide later to send in for grading.

similar sets of this caliber (non-graded) have sold on ebay for between 750-950 dollars.  i am hoping for somewhere in the middle of that.  i have invested so much already in graded sets...this is a reprieve to be able to not have to do all that work! LOL

Message 20 of 20
latest reply