cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looker said my item is fake despite appraisal

Hi all,

I bought a small antique looking wooden horse at a flea market.  I looked and looked and couldn't find one like it on line so I used an online appraisal service.  They said it was a salesman's sample from around 1900.  I listed it yesterday and today I got an email from someone who said it was a common toy sold at Christmas in supermarkets.  (They used my personal email, it didn't show up on my ebay messages.)  If it's so common, I would think I could find one online, right?  Anyway, I certainly don't want to defraud someone, if she's right, so I don't known if I should pull it or what.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

It reminds me of those cast iron figures that are new but made to look old.  Something like that I would be more comfortable with an actual appraisal by someone who is an expert in such things.

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

Just as a PS, I did put this on the toys and hobbies board, but noone there was familiar with it either.

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

Its real but not a salesmans sample it was made to be used with dolls...

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

Is the saddle or stirrup leather made of actual leather? Is it actually stitched? I would not expect this in a modern cheap imitation.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

https://rockinghorseshed.com/2012/05/05/how-do-i-tell-if-a-rocking-horse-is-victorian-antique-or-vin...

Look at the one labeled as Balinese, very similar to yours. Many are also made now in India. 

By looking at the carving on yours I would tend to agree with the person who emailed you. Most gliders out there are vintage to new with an antique "style". 

As the author of the above article states, it is not the manufacturer that is claiming they are antiques, but the resellers. 

There are very few gliders out there that are true antiques and even rarer would be one to have survived in the condition yours is in. 

A true antique horse glider is going to have a lot of wear and tear from a hundred years of children playing on it, very chippy paint, scratches, nicks and cuts, breaks, repairs, and the style will not be in the latest "antiqued style". Yours has that Pier 1 look.  

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

The saddle is leather and it is stitched.

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Its real but not a salesmans sample it was made to be used with dolls...

I'm looking for this...another one like it. 

Problem is so many are made now to look old. Supposedly from what I'm reading, 99%, like "pre-Columbian" anywhere on the net, 99% fakes.

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

@cambriachick wrote:

The saddle is leather and it is stitched.

Those coming out of India will do that too, surprisingly--pay attention to those details. 

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

ersatz its real the only problem is the repop market has drug the price down to the $100.00 and below level. Not worth buying anymore due mostly to that reason...

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

Ersatz,

I had looked at that one and it is not the quality of mine- the ears are out of proportion, the eyes are not glass, the saddle is carved, not stitched leather.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

Yes I agree with you, its  authentic and made to rock dolls..Ive seen this rocker at a couple of antique sales.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 12 of 42
latest reply

They pop up around here a couple a year,but the cellphone ebay speculators take all the profit to be made out of it...

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

yes...

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 14 of 42
latest reply

I hope so! There's so few that are real, if yours qualifies, then you need to raise that price or set a reserve or something. Like bubbleman says, the Pier 1 market has killed the desire to pay for authentic ones, why bother when they can pick one up for $100 or less. 

I've seen a lot of Pier 1 stuff come through ebay as "antique" whew. 

But since you have an appraisal (I assume a very good appraisal) then I hope that auction takes off. 

(Or.....you need to sue the appraisal house). 

Like that link I posted sums up their article....

In short; Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware).

If a buy seems too good to be true; then it probably is.

If you are not sure about the legitimacy of a Rocking Horse; contact a reputable Rocking Horse Restorer; NOT and Antique Shop or Dealer.

Tip; it is unlikely you will find an “Antique” or “Victorian” Rocking Horse for sale on general auction sites…Sorry to disillusion you; that bargain most likely isn’t.

Message 15 of 42
latest reply