cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

get to know your USPS mailperson

Had a great conversation with my mailperson today...

I ask her about the "out for delivery" scans, that don't show up at the address that day...and why can/does it happen.

SO I knew why, kinda but she told me a little more.... WE all know that packages get to the local P.O. in large containers and are unloaded via a machine that scans them .... well when the packages are sorted they are scanned "out for delivery" and sorted into the bins that the carrier for that route will put on truck....SO each item is scanned and sorted( and yes they toss,throw, them into the bins...BUT occasionally some bounce and roll and end up in a different bin....

SO when my mail person comes in, she take her bins t and put them on truck and goes....so all hers now say "out for delivery" ( she and they don't scan each as they go...that would not be efficient in the USPS system)... so she goes....BUT when the other carrier finds the wrong package...they put it back to the station for her....but she is gone till late...sometime with time to deliver, BUT often the next day.

so everyday lots of packages, lots of manually sorting, and lots of workers doing a pretty good job, mostly...but this is why (maybe not all the reasons) but why you can see a scan saying "out for delivery" but it not delievered ...YET.

it happens, and it is somewhat about timming...some carriers get in and get out....other may catch there issues because they are slower...whatever...it's just, as we know, a human usps government worker kind of thing....

P>S> my mailperson, christy is the best and said she really hate when it happens, but it does....of course she will never acknowledge this conversation happened--and that is ok with me...since i still want my mail.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: get to know your USPS mailperson

@pingpong517 wrote:

Had a great conversation with my mailperson today...

I ask her about the "out for delivery" scans, that don't show up at the address that day...and why can/does it happen.

SO I knew why, kinda but she told me a little more.... WE all know that packages get to the local P.O. in large containers and are unloaded via a machine that scans them .... well when the packages are sorted they are scanned "out for delivery" and sorted into the bins that the carrier for that route will put on truck....SO each item is scanned and sorted( and yes they toss,throw, them into the bins...BUT occasionally some bounce and roll and end up in a different bin....

SO when my mail person comes in, she take her bins t and put them on truck and goes....so all hers now say "out for delivery" ( she and they don't scan each as they go...that would not be efficient in the USPS system)... so she goes....BUT when the other carrier finds the wrong package...they put it back to the station for her....but she is gone till late...sometime with time to deliver, BUT often the next day.

so everyday lots of packages, lots of manually sorting, and lots of workers doing a pretty good job, mostly...but this is why (maybe not all the reasons) but why you can see a scan saying "out for delivery" but it not delievered ...YET.

it happens, and it is somewhat about timming...some carriers get in and get out....other may catch there issues because they are slower...whatever...it's just, as we know, a human usps government worker kind of thing....

P>S> my mailperson, christy is the best and said she really hate when it happens, but it does....of course she will never acknowledge this conversation happened--and that is ok with me...since i still want my mail. . 

INTERESTING and informative 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I'm a retired Postmaster - 2 years. This should not be happening and is a facility issue that should be brought up with the local PM or delivery supervisor. Someone needs to fix this at your local PO level.  If they can't fix it then ask for the MPO, Mgr Postal Operations who is over many other PO's to intervene. If still not fixed, go to your District Consumer Affairs. Still not fixed, go to Washington DC USPS Consumer Affairs. Still, one more attempt is available - your Congressperson.  Above all start with calling or going online their 800 service and opening a trouble ticket.  This ticket goes to your serving PO with copies going to the DC, Area and Districts CSA offices. Timelines and names are attached all along the way making people held accountable. Service is being paid for and you are not receiving it.  Your carrier will not be affected in any way. Take note of names and numbers along the way. You deserve better.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I spoke to my carrier the other day and I wasn’t too pleased with her response. Now she’s been our regular carrier for years and this is the first problem & I don’t think she caused it but I guess I expected a better explanation. I am signed up for informed delivery so I get an email every day with a picture of all letter mail. Twice last week, we didn’t get 2 pieces and both of them were addressed to someone else. One was paperwork addressed to my husbands friend for a charity golf tournament they play every year, it was supposed to come to our house, my husband is the one who signs them up (there’s 4 of them). We got the one for my husband but the one for his friend wasn’t in the mail box. 3 days later, we didn’t get my deceased MILs credit card statement. The carrier was sitting outside my house , she parks there when she delivers to this area and when I didn’t see the statement in the mail box, I went over and showed her the email and asked if perhaps it was held at the PO since it had someone else’s name on it. I explained that my MIL had recently passed and since my husband is executor of the estate, he had put in a change address so we will receive her mail and that we need this statement because we are in the process of handling her affairs and paying off her outstanding debts. She said “gee.....I don’t know. This is all I had for you.”

and that it’s not traceable and she didn’t she notice it in anyone else’s mail and maybe it will be there on Monday. Maybe I should have been more specific, what I really wanted to know was where the statement was since I didn’t get it and could the different name have anything to do with why it wasn’t delivered and if the different name is going to be a problem & we might not get important mail in my MILs name despite the change of address we put in. This could end up costing the estate money if we aren’t going to get her mail!!! There are late fees and interest racking up on the one credit card we know was never paid off. I still don’t know the answer. But we did get the statement on Tuesday. Luckily that card was paid off before she died. And it wasn’t on the email I received that morning showing the days mail either. But at least we got it!

I do not think it was her error and if it was, maybe it was because she didn’t recognize the name on it but it did work out in the end. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Why would you pay a deceased person's debt?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Why would you pay a deceased person's debt?

I never said I am paying a deceased persons debt.

The estate is paying the debt because it is the right thing to do. The $4k credit card bill appears to be the only outstanding debit and it is for her cemetery plot that she purchased in March. The card was to have been paid off in April but long story short, someone planned to steal a considerable amount of money from her and they stole her money rather than pay off the card when they were supposed to. Since the charge is for her plot, the right thing to do is pay it off. So it will be paid as soon as the statement comes. And it’s not like the estate can’t afford it. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

My old mail lady signed my name to a signature required package containing a stamp collection worth well over $2k and then put it in our parcel mail box (I lived in apartments). I saw that it was delivered and signed for while I was at work, but I know I didn't sign for it. So I came home and found the parcel locker key in my mail box and my stamp collection in the parcel box. I call the post master  and told him. He said that was not acceptable in any circumstance, but apparently it didn't matter because she did it again a couple weeks later.

I stopped having stuff delivered to my home.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

I spoke to my carrier the other day and I wasn’t too pleased with her response. Now she’s been our regular carrier for years and this is the first problem & I don’t think she caused it but I guess I expected a better explanation. I am signed up for informed delivery so I get an email every day with a picture of all letter mail. Twice last week, we didn’t get 2 pieces and both of them were addressed to someone else. One was paperwork addressed to my husbands friend for a charity golf tournament they play every year, it was supposed to come to our house, my husband is the one who signs them up (there’s 4 of them). We got the one for my husband but the one for his friend wasn’t in the mail box. 3 days later, we didn’t get my deceased MILs credit card statement. The carrier was sitting outside my house , she parks there when she delivers to this area and when I didn’t see the statement in the mail box, I went over and showed her the email and asked if perhaps it was held at the PO since it had someone else’s name on it. I explained that my MIL had recently passed and since my husband is executor of the estate, he had put in a change address so we will receive her mail and that we need this statement because we are in the process of handling her affairs and paying off her outstanding debts. She said “gee.....I don’t know. This is all I had for you.”

and that it’s not traceable and she didn’t she notice it in anyone else’s mail and maybe it will be there on Monday. Maybe I should have been more specific, what I really wanted to know was where the statement was since I didn’t get it and could the different name have anything to do with why it wasn’t delivered and if the different name is going to be a problem & we might not get important mail in my MILs name despite the change of address we put in. This could end up costing the estate money if we aren’t going to get her mail!!! There are late fees and interest racking up on the one credit card we know was never paid off. I still don’t know the answer. But we did get the statement on Tuesday. Luckily that card was paid off before she died. And it wasn’t on the email I received that morning showing the days mail either. But at least we got it!

I do not think it was her error and if it was, maybe it was because she didn’t recognize the name on it but it did work out in the end. 

It seems to me if it has your address on it then it should be delivered to you no matter who`s name it`s addressed to. That is how it works here. I have had customers over the years use nicknames, initials, and even had some with no name but so long as the address was correct they still got their item.

I also get mail here from people I know or am related to that have never lived at my house but it has my address on it so it comes here. It`s usually just junk mail but that`s my point, if it has my address it comes to this address and yours should to IMO. It sounds like your carrier is up to something but I`m a bit untrusting.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

We have had issues lately with our tiny parcels (2x3x3 boxes) simply disappearing.

It is very frustrating, granted the box is small but it's still about the size of a vitamin bottle and the label fits without "print reduction," the whole reason behind these boxes is they're cheaper overall (both for the box and slightly lighter weight)...

Three of them lost thus far this year, not a really big number and fortunately all <$20 items but it's the only thing getting lost too.  The tracking usually simply stops at some point, I suspect the little package fell off the conveyor belt someplace.

Then there's the ones where the tracking loops, I'm not sure I even want to start this diatribe lol

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@sidemouse wrote:

We have had issues lately with our tiny parcels (2x3x3 boxes) simply disappearing.

It is very frustrating, granted the box is small but it's still about the size of a vitamin bottle and the label fits without "print reduction," the whole reason behind these boxes is they're cheaper overall (both for the box and slightly lighter weight)...

Three of them lost thus far this year, not a really big number and fortunately all <$20 items but it's the only thing getting lost too.  The tracking usually simply stops at some point, I suspect the little package fell off the conveyor belt someplace.

Then there's the ones where the tracking loops, I'm not sure I even want to start this diatribe lol

this won't solve the issue and i'm guess the size gets lost in the machines , etc... if it were ME, I would put the small boxes in a larger envelope...like a bubble mailer or just a mailer--plastic or paper..... might help and not adding much weigh,,,just a thought.  I thinking a 3x9  or whatever give it a bigger "footprint" without excessive....

Kinda like how stuff comes from Amazon or Walmart...in larger than needed boxes....seems weird they use an over sized box, but maybe it moves through better.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

well I'm not sure they all know the answers for stuff... but will say recently I moved and had to do a few change of address....lets just say it is not exactly a smooth transition and being I stayed at my Brothers house for awhile...when I changed adress...now I get his too...not all but his, his wife's,,,,, lucky for me it;s just a few miles away to get it to hm....And i tryed on the computer, going to the p.o. leaving notes for my mailperson...AND Christy left me a not that she fixed it ....but that it still might be a few weeks to correct 100%... so again, these things happen... 

soory about your MIL, and yes that must be crazy...hope it works out and gets solved....

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@oldwestgold wrote:

I'm a retired Postmaster - 2 years. This should not be happening and is a facility issue that should be brought up with the local PM or delivery supervisor. Someone needs to fix this at your local PO level.  If they can't fix it then ask for the MPO, Mgr Postal Operations who is over many other PO's to intervene. If still not fixed, go to your District Consumer Affairs. Still not fixed, go to Washington DC USPS Consumer Affairs. Still, one more attempt is available - your Congressperson.  Above all start with calling or going online their 800 service and opening a trouble ticket.  This ticket goes to your serving PO with copies going to the DC, Area and Districts CSA offices. Timelines and names are attached all along the way making people held accountable. Service is being paid for and you are not receiving it.  Your carrier will not be affected in any way. Take note of names and numbers along the way. You deserve better.

yes i know it all shouldn't happen, and I repect the amounts of mail and packages that USPS handles....I have used the CS and called Postmaster when needed help.... The point is, that stuff happens, and employees can all be different in style and habits....but this just explained how a package that shows "out" is missed by the carrier...because of the sorting styl of the others... and how a simple thing throw it off..but corrects itself the next day...almost always.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply