cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay promotion

What are the thoughts about using e=bay promotion that supposedly gives your listing an extra boost??? Worth the extra cost???

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

ebay promotion

Looking at it from both sides as a seller it's not something I would pay extra for. Ebay already gets enough in fees. If multiple people are paying for promotions then where's the advantage.

Having seen promoted items pop up on other sites I find it to be, like most other advertisements, annoying. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

ebay promotion

I don't think they're worth the extra cost.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

ebay promotion

It's all just playing the odds to me - got something a lot of other people don't have?  Then don't bother spending the money because you'll be found in search.  Drowning in a sea of like items?  Be selective in using promotions, but promoting some items can draw people into looking at your other offerings.

I use promotions and like the feature because I'm in such a hypersaturated category, but would never just wholesale use them for everything.  And yes, I agree that it's a program that has a definite end-point when promotions themselves become too common.  Years back eBay had a similar program where you could pay to have your listing at the head of the category in any search, and it got to the point where people had to trawl through page after page of these promoted items to get to their regular search.  The program was eliminated after some time.  This one works a lot better because items simply come up in regular search - what will eventually knock it out is it will become too expensive. But I'll use it while we have it.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

ebay promotion

I've tried it and saw no reason to repeat.  More fees, and constant email reminders to do it again.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

ebay promotion

Wow! People are great. I like what each have said about the promotions and I look forward to seeing more comments!!!  THANKS.   Pete

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

ebay promotion

I feel promoting is helpful, but have no concrete evidence.

Only a handful of replies here, but there has been several good threads about promoted listings. A search of the board is good schooling on nuances you don't yet know about.

• "Suggested" ad rates are garbage. Don't follow them.
  • A little goes a long way. My promoted listing ad rate is most often 1%.
  • Double down on @chapeau-noir opening paragraph. Golden advice. to be smart.
  • Finally, eBay actually promotes "sponsored" listings according to the same criteria as "organic" listing, NOT according to your ad rate. So, buffing up your listing for the things that matter in search order - like keywords, pictures, return policy, price competitive, etc -  is time and money well spent instead of or before throwing money at eBay for promo fees.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

ebay promotion

For dead merchandise what have got to lose?  We only pay the promotion fee if the item sells.  I used to promote stuff that landed at my feet at no cost to turn it quicker.  I wouldn't promote things you already sell but as I already wrote if something is only growing dust after a couple years promote it for a month before you pitch it.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply