cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay is still deleting negative feedback from power seller accounts

In what I can only assume is a move designed to help power sellers sell more, and by extension help their own profits, ebay is still actively deleting honest and justified negative feedback from power sellers' accounts without any discussion or consultation with the buyer who left the feedback years after the practice first came to light.

This amounts to censorship of the feedback system which totally undermines it, since it becomes impossible to know if that power seller you're considering buying from really does have 100% positive feedback or a score that would actually be closer to 70% or 80% had ebay left all their negative feedback untouched.

I can't believe this practice isn't more widely covered in mainstream media, since it completely destroys confidence in the world's largest auction site.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: ebay is still deleting negative feedback from power seller accounts

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Feedback removal is not done lightly by this company. It takes an act of God to get them removed in most cases.

A lot of feedback removal is automatic. Sellers who offer free returns qualify to have negative feedback removed in some cases. That is probably what the OP is upset about.

He was just not aware that this is part of ebay's policy.

There is one seller that I know of who is infamous for shorting people on bubble wrap and other supplies. They have hundreds of negatives automatically removed every month. They  always claim that returned items are missing part of the order and only give a 50% refund. They report the buyer for abusing the return process and the negative feedback is removed. They are the worst example of how these policies can be abused by crooks. Many who read this will know exactly which supplier I am talking about.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Its true every deserved Negative or Neutral feedback I leave for power seller is removed, this has been going on for years...I shop on Amazon mostly because of this crooked Ebay pratice...Jim

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Feedback is a historic leftover from the 20th century internet when it was scary and exciting to deal with someone a thousand kilometres away, instead of how we order pizza.

EBay does not use it to assess member accounts.

Sellers have not been allowed to leave anything but positive feedback for buyers since, I think, 2008.

The most useful way to settle a complaint is by filing a Claim/Dispute and getting your money back. If you lose a Claim, you cannot leave any feedback at all, although the other party can.

When you win a Claim, the seller is out financially, not only in the lost payment, but also in the costs of shipping and lost sales opportunity while the Claim is resolved.

After that feedback is just revenge.

I agree that feedback should no longer be a part of eBay's selling process. Personally I would prefer a system that records the number of transactions minus the number of Claims (won or lost) on those transactions.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Its true, every deserved Negative or Neutral feedback I leave for a power seller is removed, this has been going on for years...I shop on Amazon mostly because of this crooked Ebay pratice...Jim

They remove negatives from small sellers too, some lady/man sold us some women's shoes and when they arrived they fit my wife OK, but the heel tip broke off of one. I contacted the lady/man and all they offered was a partial refund. ... Gave her a neutral ...it vanished the same day and again she was at 100% Feedback...

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply