cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay is dying

I have been on Ebay since 1996 with different accounts. Nothing lasts forever. I did make a good profit selling on Ebay in the past but nothing lasts forever. Just like Craigslist, a dying breed. Amazon and

Alibaba has overtaken sales from Ebay. Ebay is on it's last leg but I did enjoy the times.
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

ebay is dying

I don't know if its dying.  I think its injured, if you want to stay in this way of describing it.  Its injured, and its making bad treatment decisions, at least from my point of view.  I don't think ebay is terminal though.  Because I do believe if the right people were running the place, it could be revitalized and get better.  The people there now running it are causing the problems.  Their mentality towards sellers is incredibly negative biased.  Their marketing strategies are poor.  Them growing the buyer base is poor.  Making money by pitting sellers against sellers, instead of actually making money selling things, is a problem.  

If new proper leadership could come in Ebay could turn around and gain ground and be a better place to buy and sell.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

I think they're just doing updates

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

It's not that they are dying per se (they're not going out of business anytime soon), they have simply become less and less relevant in the world of e-commerce. It will never be what it was in the beginning because it's not the only game in town anymore. It's just another name now.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

People have been predicting the death of ebay for 20+ years.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

I don't know if it's dying, it's just not as lively as it used to be, the excitement is gone and now back to the basics.

For example, I signed up for a month trial with Bonanza and built my booth, I thought I cancelled it at the end of the trial just to find out they have been charging my credit card for the last 5 months and the booth is live, I had 0 sales and they charged me over $200 with 0 sales, now that's a dying site.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

@ten_o_nine wrote:

I don't know if it's dying, it's just not as lively as it used to be

Kind of like me then?    😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

Dying? I don't think ebay is on its deathbed. However, I do think the CEO's vision for the ebay of, say, 2025, may be quite different from the ebay that existed before his arrival. Doe that vision really includes sellers like me? I'm not sure. Maybe. But he's been clear: the New eBay is the Ebay for Enthusiast Buyers, which narrows ebay's focus a fair bit.

Time will tell.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

@inhawaii wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

I don't know if it's dying, it's just not as lively as it used to be

Kind of like me then?    😉

Or maybe just kinda creaky like me.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

@inhawaii 

Actually me😅

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

I think that only means to shift focus to high end items in advertising and so on, but they will still keep the rest as is. I would do that.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

Not sure Bonanza has actually ever been alive or relevant

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

Amazon and Alibaba don't really compete with eBay.

eBay isn't dying..

I think for stuff you sell, Alibaba might be taking over... but drill bits, micrometers, and taps and dies are just one small subsection of eBay.

I'm sure you sell high quality stuff... but as far as tools go... Look at Harbor Freight. How many times do you need a tool you're going to use once. Do I want to spend 60 bucks on a special wrench to get to the dingle of the dangle on my wife's CRV to change the belt? Or do I want to spend 10 bucks and throw it away?

You clearly have a vast quantity of high-quality inventory items... but people on eBay want stuff for cheap.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

@ten_o_nine wrote:

I don't know if it's dying, it's just not as lively as it used to be, the excitement is gone and now back to the basics.

For example, I signed up for a month trial with Bonanza and built my booth, I thought I cancelled it at the end of the trial just to find out they have been charging my credit card for the last 5 months and the booth is live, I had 0 sales and they charged me over $200 with 0 sales, now that's a dying site.

I'm sorry that happened, but I'm not surprised. They have all of these ad programs, etc., and the site has been a dud for years.  It used to be decent.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

ebay is dying

Really, I didn't even know I had a booth still active, so I went to Bonanza and there it was. I did a search on my items by copying the title and googling and they were there under eBay and Bonanza, not sure why no buyers come from them, copycats. 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply