cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay refunded buyer for something I sold even tho I have proof of delivery

eBay refunded a buyer who open a dispute with me. I sold an item on Sept 15 and item was delivered sept 20th according to the delivery confirmation. On October 18th A mth later buyer claims he never received the item. Who waits a mth on a $1800 purchase if it wasn't received to ask about it? Gave eBay all the information I had and the delivery confirmation number stating when and where and what time it was delivered. I had proof of delivery and eBay STILL refunded the buyer!!! They charged my credit card for it! I'm now out of my merchandise and $1800. Are they allowed to do this?  Where is the protection for the seller?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: eBay refunded buyer for something I sold even tho I have proof of delivery

@tomuchstuff5 wrote:

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

Oh Man...So you didn't have signature confirmation?

I am pretty sure ebay says you have to have it for sales of $750 or higher.

Mr C

Hit the seller protection link in paypal on every sale to check whats required. Sometimes it is different for other currencies or countries. 

It's been a couple months since I've had to ship with sig confirmation so I am a little fuzzy BUT if I remember correctly if you print the label through eBay the box selecting sig. confirmation is checked by default and you have to UNCHECK it to not use it. They have made it as foolproof as possible. They cannot force sellers to read the seller protection policy, however.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Unfortunately it was gold so he probably will scrap it. 

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Oh My,

And you are a new seller and Ebay allowed you to sell gold?

Mr C

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

I'm new to selling so I wasn't aware that everything over $750 needed a signature confirmation. I click on PayPal link to print label but I don't print label I just write down the address it needs to be ship to. I sold a bag on eBay before over $2000 and I didn't put singature  confirmation  on it and it was fine. I guess I was lucky the buyer wasn't  a scammer.  Well now I know for next time if there's a next time. This was a really big burn....No longer feel safe selling or buying here....

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@said_f wrote:

I'm new to selling so I wasn't aware that everything over $750 needed a signature confirmation. I click on PayPal link to print label but I don't print label I just write down the address it needs to be ship to. I sold a bag on eBay before over $2000 and I didn't put singature  confirmation  on it and it was fine. I guess I was lucky the buyer wasn't  a scammer.  Well now I know for next time if there's a next time. This was a really big burn....No longer feel safe selling or buying here....

I truly am sorry this happened and I wish it was an easy fix.

I know it would hit me hard to try to deal with this.

Using Ebay labels by the way is a VERY good idea.

Mr C

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@said_f wrote:

I sold a bag on eBay before over $2000 and I didn't put singature  confirmation  on it and it was fine. I guess I was lucky the buyer wasn't  a scammer.  Well now I know for next time if there's a next time. This was a really big burn....No longer feel safe selling or buying here....

Signature confrimation will not be your only issue.

In general, any buyer on eBay can steal any item from any seller at any time, simply by filing a "not as described" dispute and then returning a phone book or a bag of coal. 

Do not list anything on eBay that you cannot afford to lose. 

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

@said_f wrote:

I truly am sorry this happened and I wish it was an easy fix.

I know it would hit me hard to try to deal with this.

Using Ebay labels by the way is a VERY good idea.

Mr C

I too had to learn this way hard way. And it does hit you hard. My loss wasn't as big as OPs but it was a hard loss. It was around 2003 and I had sold a vintage rainbow brite doll for $225. Of course back then there wasn't a MBG but there was a bit of buyer protection and IIRC at that time we were allowed to give the buyer the option of purchasing tracking and insurance. My buyer (scammer IMO) elected not to pay for tracking & insurance and waited until the 45th day after the purchase (PP policy was 45 days) to file a PP dispute for INR. I hadn't heard a single word from her at all after she paid and low and behold 45 days later I got hit with an INR and I hadn't shipped with tracking 😞

So obviously I lost. I had proof of shipment--a receipt from the PO showing the shipping address but no tracking. Most sellers weren't paying for tracking out of pocket and I don't think ebay required it for seller protection? Maybe they did and many of us just didn't know. But either way, it was a hard lesson to learn. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Hi @said_f, eBay may require signature confirmation, but IC3 does not.  You can try filing a claim with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) to get your money back from the buyer.  IC3 is for both buyers and sellers, has protocol specific to eBay, and there have been many reports of its effectiveness.  It's a branch of the FBI, so maybe just being contacted by them makes scammers suddenly remember they received the item.  Good luck!

IC3

https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

With so many posts here about new sellers limited to $100 or so before hitting their limit, why was this new admittedly seller able to list multiple high dollar items?

I see gold jewery and designer items totally well over $3,000.00 in recent history.  This item in question would bring it closer to $5,000.00

@Anonymous

tyler@ebay

This should not have been allowed to happen.  This is where a step-by-step checklist tutorial would have been useful.  List each step of the process including the Signature Confirmation requirement with a box to be checked 'Yes, I understand this' or similar wording.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 24 of 32
latest reply

You need to get with authorities to get investigations started.  Don't waste time with web forms.  GO TO your local police and Post Office.  Take all evidence you have with you to show them.

You might also seek advice from a lawyer to prepare for Civil Action.

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Are we talking about the scrap lot of gold?  Your post says $1,800. but that lot shows that it sold for $2,000.00

Nothing traceable, no ID numbers of any kind.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrysylys wrote:

With so many posts here about new sellers limited to $100 or so before hitting their limit, why was this new admittedly seller able to list multiple high dollar items?

I see gold jewery and designer items totally well over $3,000.00 in recent history.  This item in question would bring it closer to $5,000.00

@Anonymous

tyler@ebay

This should not have been allowed to happen.  This is where a step-by-step checklist tutorial would have been useful.  List each step of the process including the Signature Confirmation requirement with a box to be checked 'Yes, I understand this' or similar wording.

Sellers may be approved for higher limits based a variety of factors upon registration or reveiew by Customer Service. While I know that this kind of loss can be incredibly distressing, we do make our expectations for Signature Confirmation clear on the site and are here to answer any questions a seller may have.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Singature confirmation would not have mattered if this buyer wanted to scam you.  If you sent it signature confirmation the buyer/scammer would have simply requested a return and shipped back an empty box or a box with something else in it.  You have no seller protection on ebay if someone wants to scam you. 

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Thank you for that info. I will try that I can't afford to take a $1800 loss

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Yes it was that lot. The buyer waited over a mth before contacting me about his item I guess hoping I didn't have the tracking for it. 

Message 30 of 32
latest reply