cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay really needs to fix search as it negatively impacts sales for all of us

I just did a search for one of my items using the keywords "antique brass soap dish", and I got over 600 results of about 500 brand new items. So I select "Antiques" and narrow it down to 119 items where I'm showing as the 2nd item. Then I decided to check something out. So I clicked "Free shipping" which I do not offer by the way. 

I get back 1 result yet their is 4 listings, 1 of the listings is not even FS, but it is sponsored. I go back and change my selection to "Free Returns", get 1 result and the same 4 items come up again, but only 1 has free returns, and the others are now showing as sponsored. 

So I click FS again to see if the sponsored title will disappear like before, and now I get 20 results and all are FS, BTW, and the other one that came up in the 1st run that didn't have FS was not included this time. This search engine is completely dysfunctional.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

It works OK. No need wasting all that time and energy on a non issue.

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

@coolectionswrote:

It seems to work fine only for you, since others have had lots of issues with search.

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

Search is worthless on here. Only someone who doesn't search on here would think it works OK.

It may work fine if one knows all the fine points of searching.
By comparison, how well did we all drive the 1st time we got behind the wheel?
Now, compare that person to an ebay newbie buyer...especially one with a low level of frustration.
Message 5 of 41
latest reply

i did the search and i wondered why so many items were coming up from Wayfair. i looked at one of them and they have a variation listing with an "antique brass" finish. but i would not know that unless i opened the listing because the title does not have "antique brass". what a screwed up mess the search is.

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

I agree that when eBay started including title AND description in the search it messed things up.

It did help people with titles like "pink bowl"  but otherwise is counter productive. You used to have to check "include descriptions" when searching.

I would like to see this come back.

Radine

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

@coolectionswrote:

Devin, is that you?

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

It is working as intended.  eBay is fine with it.  The cool thing they like is that they can manipulate it at will.  They now coerce sellers to use their desired programs by threatening their "search visiblity".  One day shipping, fast arrival, good quality, excellent feedback, are obviously not real important in search visibility.  Are you afraid NOT to offer the new free retuns?  Not me.  Gonna make those buyers lie as usual. 

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

I don’t sell much on here any more, just buy. I hate the search and don’t like being manipulated. I am buying far less now than I used to, eBay needs to put the search back. 

I suspect I could put in the exact title of a listing and it’s A crapshoot whether a specific listing will show or not.

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

They are hiding listing for small and medium sized sellers. But boy do the listings for chinese fakes show up.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

Although I don't like search - I had no problem finding your item. That said - I agree I liked it better before all the new enhancements!

Small and medium sellers have just as much chance as being seen in search - the problem is many of them don't know how to format titles and don't fill in item specifics.

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

@timemachine777wrote:

I just did a search for one of my items using the keywords "antique brass soap dish", and I got over 600 results of about 500 brand new items.

"Antique brass" is a recognized and common name for a type of finish on metal fixtures  - just like "brushed nickel",  "satin bronze", "brushed aluminum", etc.

Moen, Pfister, Delta, Kwikset and Kohler all have a finish for their bathroom and door fixtures that is named "antique brass".

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

Search was horrible for me today. Been looking for motorcycle license plate holders and a week ago i was able to see a HUGE variety. I searched again today using multiple different keywords and was only able to find 4-5 of the same brackets over and over. Couldn't even find something close to what I was looking for. 

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

Change the title to .... 1920s Arts & Crafts Pierced Copper Hanging Soap and Sponge Holder then you wouldn't have to worry about the other 599 like item sellers....

Message 15 of 41
latest reply