cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay not showing printing for media mail

I sold a set of books and had shipping showing Media mail but eBay will not show media mail on my shipping form. What can I do to change this.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay not showing printing for media mail

In an effort to reduce the abuse of Media Mail, eBay has started to block its use for sales in many categories, regardless of whether the specific item is eligible. So when you list books in the Baby category, eBay doesn't recognize that this item is eligible for MM.  You can purchase a MM label at

www.PayPal.com/shipnow

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I remember some time back a situation like that happened to me. I sold some educational books and when I went to buy label media mail was greyed out. Seems like eBay decided the listing did not count for sending media mail for some reason. 

I just went to PayPal and bought the shipping but it has not happened in Managed Payments yet and we were still using PayPal then. 

Hopefully someone will post that has had this recently happen to them in Managed Payments.

Are you in Managed Payments? 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

In an effort to reduce the abuse of Media Mail, eBay has started to block its use for sales in many categories, regardless of whether the specific item is eligible. So when you list books in the Baby category, eBay doesn't recognize that this item is eligible for MM.  You can purchase a MM label at

www.PayPal.com/shipnow

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@101dkw wrote:

I sold a set of books and had shipping showing Media mail but eBay will not show media mail on my shipping form. What can I do to change this.

What category where they listed in??

This is usualy the problem.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

@101dkw wrote:

What category where they listed in??

This is usually the problem.

Bingo!   They were listed in Baby->Other baby.  Item 153755121657

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Winner!! 

Yup that will disqualify for media mail for sure  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Yes - managed payments

I checked PayPal and could not find shipping.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Yes! Thank you!

Label printed okay.

Listed in baby items so I'll remember this could be a problem.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Well as I said we were still on PayPal at that time not Managed Payments. 

I had my books listed under Books->Non-Fiction and Media mail was blocked but I think that was just a glitch

Seems you listed your books under a category besides books and that must be why eBay greyed out the Media Mail option 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

On the rare occasion when I think I have a better chance of selling in a category other than one of Ebay's recognized media categories I just take the item to the post office and purchase the postage there.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

As noted above, that's not necessary, since you can purchase your MM postage from any other online postage seller including PayPal.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

The problem with this is that you don't get the electronic discount for purchasing the postage on-line. It's costing you both time (post office waiting) and money.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@boldrocket wrote:

The problem with this is that you don't get the electronic discount for purchasing the postage on-line. It's costing you both time (post office waiting) and money.

There is absolutely ZERO discount for Media Mail, you would pay the same price no matter where you buy your label even if you buy it from  your local Post Office.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@coastaltechsolution wrote:

I remember some time back a situation like that happened to me. I sold some educational books and when I went to buy label media mail was greyed out. Seems like eBay decided the listing did not count for sending media mail for some reason. 

The OP's issue aside ... 

There is still an issue with media mail. Some categories that are supposed to allow media mail (like Musical Instruments & Gear>Sheet Music & Song Books) do not. 

I think an eBay employee postd on this board to say they are aware of the issue  and working on it. In the meantime, I am printing pabels through PayPal Shipping for the same price. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply