cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay message "Ebay Promoted Listing Dynamic Rate"

Yesterday, eBay sent me a message encouraging me to use new the dynamic rate option when setting up my promoted listings.  This dynamic rate option links my promoted listing rate to the eBay suggested rate. As the suggested rate goes up and down so would my promoted rate.

Was this sent by mistake?

I wouldn't think of linking my ad rate to an eBay suggestion. But I thought we've long had this option for quite some time. 

In the message, eBay says it values seller comments on promoted listings and provides a link to the community forum as the place to leave such comments.

But the link is to the UK forum business seller's page.

Was this message intended for UK eBay?Web capture_21-6-2023_22033_www.ebayads.com.jpeg

Either there is a typo in the message or I've been transported through space and time.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: eBay message "Ebay Promoted Listing Dynamic Rate"

Explain please

devon@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Do your homework.  That's the best advice that I can give you.  Some people have tried it.  Who makes the money.  NOT the seller.  But ebay.  I will not use it.  That's just me.  Best of luck on your selling journey.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@joseh1445 wrote:

Do your homework.  That's the best advice that I can give you.  Some people have tried it.  Who makes the money.  NOT the seller.  But ebay.  I will not use it.  That's just me.  Best of luck on your selling journey.

But the OP didn't ask if the program was any good.  They were asking if they got it by mistake as the help links were for the UK site.  So what "homework" could they do other than as if this was sent by mistake?

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@iamonourside wrote:

Was this sent by mistake?

Either there is a typo in the message or I've been transported through space and time.

I would put my money it being a mistake.  And I think you had figured that out too before you asked the question here. 

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@mam98031 

I have got this message for several months.  I will not use it.  That's just me.  And I am entitle to give my humble opinion.  That you feel different.  That's your opinion.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Yes, we've had the dynamic option in the US for some time, but eBay is known for really sloppy communication. Usually I get links in German, but apparently you got one for the UK site.

ETA: I wouldn't think twice about it.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

This is my experience trying ads.  I ran dynamic ads for 7 days - and it did increase my impressions nearly ten-fold.  For video games - the dynamic ad rate was always between 9% and 13.5% - although I gave eBay a cap of 30%.  This week I am running ads using the 2% ad rate model - the results seem more impressive than they should be since I listed a bunch of Pokemon cards in the last 2 days that is skewing the results.  I would say the first day of 2% is probably representative for me.

Although I did receive ten times the impressions, I would say that my sales were about the same although most came in promoted.  I don't really know how it impacted my sales - but I do know that my click rates and top 20 search results % plummeted after turning on ads.

I would very highly recommend raising your prices by 5% and turning on ads at at least 2% - 

just remember that you pay the ad rate % on both the shipping and sales tax - which will disproportionately effect you if you sell a low-cost item.  Also - even if you turn off the ad rate you still agree to pay the ad rate for any promoted customer for 30 days - so don't turn it off and lower your prices for 30 days!

Honestly if you raise prices by 5% and pay a 2% ad rate you will probably make more sales and be negligible, this is just my 10 day guess.  

yuy.png

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

I think they just driving more awareness to it, if UK has the option then you were most likely intended to get it.

I'll be honest, I tried it and didn't think the traffic gain was worth, within a couple weeks large amount of listings were all at 13%.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@joseh1445 wrote:

@mam98031 

I have got this message for several months.  I will not use it.  That's just me.  And I am entitle to give my humble opinion.  That you feel different.  That's your opinion.  Nothing more, nothing less.

That is fine.  A choice for all of us to make.  But at this point we don't even know if it is available to sellers in the US.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Yes, we've had the dynamic option in the US for some time, but eBay is known for really sloppy communication. Usually I get links in German, but apparently you got one for the UK site.

ETA: I wouldn't think twice about it.

@chapeau-noir 

Do you happen to have a link to the USA policy?  I can't seem to find it.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

I think sellers are finally catching on.  Promoted listings simply move your money into ebays pockets with little or no effect on improving the sellers profits!

So what if your impressions go up!- if they are in completely irrelevant spots then they have no effect on sales.  Ebay jams 100 PL ads on a listing page so your PL is still not even really effective- its in a sea of confusing scroll panels and on listings that have no real connection with what the buyer actually searched for.  

If i am looking for a vintage car part and ebay shows me you PL ad for a button down dress shirt........ no sale will happen because that was never my intent of the search.

Ebay is stuck now between a rock and a hard place- they pushed and promised so much with PL but now they are ineffectual and anyone who tries them realize it and stop using them.   The product does not increase sales or profits for sellers so why on earth would be use it?- PL  got so saturated that it makes no sense to use them because to satisfy the "contract" of promoting- they need more screen space and thus just plug you listings in anywhere having no relevance to the search query.  

Most sellers that i have spoken with have noticed- sales increase AFTER stopping PL lol.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@siamjane8 

"I think sellers are finally catching on.  Promoted listings simply move your money into ebays pockets with little or no effect on improving the sellers profits!"  How so?  Are you suggesting that sellers that use PLS are not smart enough to know they need to increase the price of their product to cover the additional PLS FVF?  I personally have more faith than that in sellers.  

It is the buyer's that pay this additional FVF, not the seller.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

BTW- Promoted listings in a nutshell:

1. no guarantee of relevant placement

2.you are paying extra to be shown on a platform that you already pay to be shown- that is the whole point! 

3. PL fees are applied to item / shipping / AND sales tax now!!!!!! huh? really-

4. Halo sales?- now ebay will charge PL fee on an item that was found organically in search if the buyer happened to click on a completely different PL of your up to 30 days prior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  this is just plan shady.               Basically once someone clicks on one of your  PL for 2 seconds- and then buys another of your listings 29 days later ( not even realizing that you are the same seller)- you are hit with the PL fee!!!!!

EX. you search grill kit and click on my PL add in search.... you do not like it and choose not to buy.... 3 weeks later you do a search for shampoo and find another one of my listings organically, click into my store and end up purchasing something else- I will pay the PL fee from the initial "click" from the grill kit because ebay placed a cookie on your computer remember that you clicked on my PL for the grill kit- even though the searches were completely unrelated!

Once you really look into PL- you can clearly see the motivation behind them- it has nothing to do with improving sales or helping buyers and sellers connect.  it is a completely one sided money scheme design to capture revenue.    And them once you realize that in order to make this work....sales organically must be suppressed to get people to promote........it all becomes clear why the search results are so bad.    

It is just frustrating to see this because ebay could be so great again if they would stop the silly money grabs and listen to sellers and buyers and just show us what we search for and keep it simple to list and buy. 

BTW- when we sell more...we list more....we attract more buyers...buyers buy more....we prosper and list more....- see the trend?     

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@mam98031 

"I think sellers are finally catching on.  Promoted listings simply move your money into ebays pockets with little or no effect on improving the sellers profits!"  How so?  Are you suggesting that sellers that use PLS are not smart enough to know they need to increase the price of their product to cover the additional PLS FVF?  I personally have more faith than that in sellers.  

It is the buyer's that pay this additional FVF, not the seller.

mam- i know that you know that the PL is charged to the seller NOT the buyer....... why would you make the above statement?     Unless you are saying that a seller should raise their prices to account for the extra fees?....... of course that would work unless your margins are tight.... and also all you are doing is making the product more expensive and less desirable and you are not making any more profit- thereby its not any better for the seller- so you cannot reinvest in your business and grow.    How is this good for anyone? except ebay in the short term.   PL hurt everyone involved in the long term as they drive sellers to other platforms to compete and drive buyers to other platforms as the products get overpriced here to pay ebay the extra %

Message 15 of 29
latest reply