cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is dead. Where are the sales?

Ran some promotions and ads for the holiday. Not a single sale. Got the right items and everything is priced below everyone else. Here's the kicker. I'm killing it on Facebook marketplace. My asking prices are higher and I'm seeing less fraud. Also paying less in fees. I know Facebook has a bigger user count than eBay but you would think eBay being more established would mean something? Is eBay dying? Starting to think I should just put all my listings on Facebook marketplace since it is free to list, no store fees, and lower selling fees. 

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

I'm curious, do you use promoted listings standard?

My biggest issue with FBM is everyone wants to talk and ask 20 questions.

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Yeah promoted listings standard and a 20% off sale. The conversion rate on Facebook is better since it is easy to turn a message into a sale since they know you are a human. 

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

@sawithe-47 wrote:

Got the right items and everything is priced below everyone else. 

If you had the "right items" and they were priced below everyone else, people would be buying them.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 41
latest reply

Looking at your  profile:

- I see you have been an eBay member since August, 2019,

- I see zippo  PAST sales history

- I see you HAVE no current active listings  two days  after the  4th holiday - hard to sell from an empty basket

- Maybe you have another ID that you are selling under????

What say you?

One thing I learned in  my real selling career - some people  don't always buy  cheap prices - they also want quality

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 5 of 41
latest reply

I made 5 figures this weekend so eBay is not dead at all.  It’s opposite for me, Facebook is not at all the place to sell.  Usually have less traffic, and have to sell for less.

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

The OP has no items, active nor completed on their account... no feedback, either. No wonder Ebay is dead for them. Can't have a single sale if you have nothing to sell.

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

Double check your pricing.....plus you could be an extremely over saturated niche!!

Good luck!

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

I don't have any items currently for sale on this ID either.   I did sell a few things many years ago on this ID, though.  Got about a dozen active on my selling ID.

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

It isn't Ebay that's the problem with sales, it's the way the Economy is right now. One one is buying like they did last year or a few years ago. Good luck in selling on here, because things have changed.

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

@sawithe-47 wrote:

Is eBay dying? Starting to think I should just put all my listings on Facebook marketplace since it is free to list, no store fees, and lower selling fees. 

Congrats for your Facebook success.

Ebay has been shrinking in the shape of sales decline and lost market share, you probably heard about their last quarterly reports and the gloomy forecast of the venue in general.

there are quite a few selling venues for us sellers available for listing  so you can cross list your items and delete once it is sold.

Good Luck.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

@sawithe-47   July 4 weekend is typically slow industry-wide.  I don't even bother with sales then.

ETA:  Even Searchengineland was discussing having to calm marketers and SEO pros down by telling them that...uh...it's often pretty slow.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 41
latest reply

I started diversifying across multiple ecommerce sites several years ago and like you over time the $ value percentages of my sales on eBay has slowly declined while the other sites have risen. 10 years ago 80+% of my sales were on eBay and the other 20% elsewhere. Those numbers have pretty much flipped and now only about 20% of what I sell is through eBay, and that continues to decline, while the rest is through other ecommerce sites, which continues to increase. Competition in a marketplace is a wonderful thing. 

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

Yes - there are more viable options than there used to be and individuals selling are more agile as well.  The days are gone when people sold only on eBay, unless it is their preference, and knew only about eBay.  It's just how markets grow.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 41
latest reply

Yes, eBay is dying! The stock price has fallen from $75.15 on July 6th 2021 to $43.71 as of this writing 2:53 PM CST July 6th 2022. The active buying customer base has dropped to 142 million, about 13% fewer than one year ago. And, that 142 million is world wide Buyers... not just the USA.

A great many Buyers where Sellers. A great many Sellers dislike fleaBay's managed pay and not only have they stopped selling... they stopped buying. FleaBay's management has focused on high end jewelry, sneakers, collectables and auto parts Sellers forsaking the low-end "mom & pop" Sellers who, by the way, were responsible for fleaBay's success. 

FleaBays high fees on every facet of the sale are taking a toll. 1099'ing ever Seller is a joke! Charging the Seller 13% (or more) on Sales Tax collected from Buyers is a joke! Charging 13% (or more) on Shipping is a joke!

FleaBay is a rotting, stinking, dying sales platform by which everyday people flee fleaBay! Yes, eBay is dying.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply