cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay cut me off

I was selling a couple of things a week now nothing for 2 weeks! sure is slow, not many offers either, sure wish I could make a couple of good sales to pay my fee's and paypal loan payment, sure would be nice.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: eBay cut me off

@richards*rock*collection wrote:
I agree, holding a tape measure gives them a good size comparison, my hand is average size so I think that is good enough for the average rock slab buyer is interested in making one or two small Cabochons from the material, mostly.

Unfortunately the price is for above average...

If you wish to instill value you will have to do that from your end, for example...

Are you packing the items attractively?

Are you using all new packing material?

Just as an example, if you are charging a premium price but shipping in "recycled" boxes and haphazardly applied tape that you cut with scissors and looks like a 2nd grade project?

Newspaper for padding is fine, but do you use a tape gun and if so are you using "ebay" tape?

Just some pointers...

If you want to charge a premium price then you have to provide not just a good product but also above average service.  Are you shipping same day, does your listing reflect that, do you ship priority / first class?

Put yourself in the buyer's shoes...

Can you tell me, as a buyer, when you order an item yourself...

Whether it was packed by someone in a basement?

See...

I work from home but I make sure when I pack something that the buyer would at least have reason to believe their item may have come from a manufacturer or a grade-A B&M store, just because I want to give off that image.

That's just the shipping department...

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

So, you want moar sales...

Lets take a look: 292809654348

Proposed changes:

1. Price $92 Free Shipping.

2. Time to revise all the pictures with a green busy "plant" background,

a green rock over top of a background consisting of greenery isn't doing it for me,

the pictures with the tape measure on that wooden tabletop are GREAT!

You want a uniform non-busy background of a color that is not the same as the item.

You might even go so far as to pull out a "warm" color lamp to throw light at the rocks at different angles.

3. The title is decent enough, but you need weight and size and all those specifications listed in the Item Specifics and then again in the Description... A description that reads "description is in the title" makes you look lazy.

For example (and you might do what I just did and check out a competitor's listing to see how they do it):

Item specifics

Type of Crystal           :   Rough

Material                              :  100% Genuine Natural "Grade A".Jade

Size                                      :103mm (Length),68mm (Width) 27mm(Thick) (or inches as the case may be)

Condition Color                   : As picture

Weight                                 :301g (in your case ounces)

Type                                     :   Specimen

Original / Reproduction     :Original

Natural / Enhanced           :  100% Natural and Untreated 

You want a premium price, you have to provide a premium service.

A premium listing is part of that.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Really? u can see most of my items are bo listings and I have had none for about 3 weeks.....starting to think ebay lets you sell something when they want you to, no matter what the price is.

Ebay does not control buyer behavior. Buyers can see your items if they choose to search what the item is you have available. Buyers are the ones who choose to hit the BIN button if they like your item and they like your price. No one stops a buyer from hitting that BIN button. The price makes a BIG difference so I am unsure what you mean by the last comment. List a few things for 99 cents and watch them fly out the door.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

so I will keep raising the price of that item, thanks, I just did.

That should do it. Buyers will be jumping all over those higher priced items.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

funny you should say that, I had a buyer send me a note as they bought an item from me that I had watchers on, I had been raising the price by 10 dollar increments every time I had another watcher, there were 4 watchers by the time it sold, the Customer said, "I saw you were raising the price I thought I had better hurry up and buy it before it got to expensive" goes to show you can name your own price for some things, so you are right in a way, how fickle buyers can be that want certain things, eBay is fun for me, I like it, I don't get alot of sales, but I used to get more sales than I have been getting, I have always had high prices.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Ebay does not control buyer behavior. Buyers can see your items if they choose to search what the item is you have available. Buyers are the ones who choose to hit the BIN button if they like your item and they like your price. No one stops a buyer from hitting that BIN button. The price makes a BIG difference so I am unsure what you mean by the last comment. List a few things for 99 cents and watch them fly out the door.

What's the secret there?  You can give anything away - I thought people were here to SELL things.  Of course, selling might take a bit of work and some imagination, but what the heck - everybody needs a hobby, right? 

And, look at the bright side - it would keep a person off the streets and out of the bars, as they say.  Smiley Happy

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

What's the secret there?  You can give anything away - I thought people were here to SELL things.  Of course, selling might take a bit of work and some imagination, but what the heck - everybody needs a hobby, right? 

@gracieallen01

Not if it is hidden from buyers as the OP and other sellers here claim. The OP claims Ebay cut here off. Even at 99 cents on one can see it therefore it should not get any buyers, right ?

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

My stuff isn't hidden.  30 new orders today.  Mostly low-priced collectibles and a few higher-priced commodity items, ASP today about $8.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@fr8hvnhet0 wrote:

I have taken to using a measuring tape to most of my items as I'm taking pictures so that the viewers get a really good idea of actual size. Holding the rock in your hand is not a bad idea but your hands could be small, they could be huge, however with measuring tape an inch is an inch and thus leaves no doubt.

And I can't tell you whether it helps but I can tell you I use every one of those 12 "free" picture slots.

FWIW I have no idea what an "average" hand would be considered to be. I have hands with long fingers. My family are tall people, so average to me in my world may be different to someone from another. I was even a blackjack dealer for years and years, watching people's hands for hand signals for 6 hours a day five days a week and I still have no idea what one would consider "average" hand size. 

eta: This was for the OP, obviously. Sorry I quoted and replied to you fr8! 

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

answer to your reply is that I do absolutely believe ebay controls sales for sellers, they do it somehow.
Message 25 of 31
latest reply

People browse Ebay. When they see something, they put it in their watch list so they can compare with others. 

If Ebay is hiding our items, why not take the opportunity to have a measured, weighed and whatnot item with a nice description when it is visible?

Whether you fight or not what others say, you are at the whim of buyers. Cheap and unique, or vice versa doesn't mean anything. Nobody wants it or needs it, and that's an economic law, the law of necessity. 

Good luck to you!

latest reply

ebay controls my sales, it does not matter what the price is, when I need to pay fees and paypal loan payment, ebay comes thru, I.ve never been late on a payment. Plus they make sure I get a little more for buying things, ebay takes care of me, just saying, thanks ebay.
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

ebay controls my sales, it does not matter what the price is, when I need to pay fees and paypal loan payment, ebay comes thru, I.ve never been late on a payment. Plus they make sure I get a little more for buying things, ebay takes care of me, just saying, thanks ebay.

So if eBay is giving you sales that you don't deserve, kind of like charity, why are you complaining?

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

so I dont deserve a sale? ok, sounds great, thanks!
Message 29 of 31
latest reply

I was only thinking if ebay gives me one or two sale I don't deserve like they did today and yesterday, wouldn't be just peachy king if they would give me eight more tomorrow? that would be sweet then I could buy those crystals from pakistan and resell them for four times what they're worth, over a long period of time, of course.
Message 30 of 31
latest reply