cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay can only make more money by ripping off its sellers!

Think about it!

now the managed payments ripoff..

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: eBay can only make more money by ripping off its sellers!

I suppose Etsy, Amazon and Mercari rip off their sellers, too? Those sites have managed payments and have had for a while - in the case of Mercari and Amazon, the beginning. Sellers flock to those sites like they're the Holy Grail or something.

Managed type payments are the standard for a third party selling site, especially one the size of Ebay.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 42
latest reply

If you are talking about the Fees for MP they aren't that much different than the current structure if you have a basic store or higher.

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

In all fairness ebay does have a terrible habit of spinning the most trivial of advantages to appear as if it were huge, so when they state that MP will save their sellers a lot of money what they really meant is that it's actually maybe about 0.1% cheaper than PP.  So for example if your fees were 15% when combined (ebay with Paypal) they may now be around 14.9% through Managed payments so as you can see it is in fact cheaper and saving sellers money!

It is further possible most sellers aren't seeing the discount, not only is it truly minor but the recent spate of covid related malfunctions has likely increased many seller defect metrics where they are getting hitted with the 5% extra FVF this however is not MP and these sellers would be seeing the increase if they were still with PP.

So in conclusion I think it may have been bad coincidence that MP rolled out right about the time those defects started taking effect, but it is seller blindness that is leading them to believe the 5% extra they are paying is because of MP... It is not, MP is in fact cheaper than PP but if there were cases of recent that ebay found to be in defect of the seller then those sellers are being slapped with the extra 5% fees.

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

Do they make money on this ......

sold my item 4 days ago they buyer paid when he bought. Informed today I will get my money in 4-5 business days... Where does that payment sit for the last week? 
Thought you might know..

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

By my calculations I'm paying ebay with MPs about the same $$$ that I was paying Paypal.     I'm not paying Paypal anymore.    Where's the rip-off?

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

@7rattlesbushcraft wrote:

Do they make money on this ......

sold my item 4 days ago they buyer paid when he bought. Informed today I will get my money in 4-5 business days... Where does that payment sit for the last week?

Once it's processed, it goes to your Managed Payment account.

The time it takes to hit your checking account from the time the payment is released depends on your bank.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 42
latest reply

Where's the rip-off?

You will see the first one when you have to pay the currency conversion fees.  You know, those sales from international users that you can't block because they have a US shipping address and a non US payment instrument.  Buyers through the Pal used to pay these fees.  Not anymore.  I am sure this will attract more buyers so everyone should be fine and happy. 

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

I am sure this will attract more buyers

Well, if they do, then the seller has more sales at a slightly lower profit margin.

And if they don't the seller has fewer sales at a slightly higher profit margin.

What you lose on the coconuts, you earn on the roundabouts.

My objections to Managed Payments are twofold.

• I don't get to move my money to my bank in my own time. This means that if I want to save up for a couple of weeks and buy something relatively expensive, like that $500 Persian carpet for the front hall that is on my Watch List, I can't because my Managed Payments are constantly being moved and I can't run a balance.

In this case actually the opposite of @7rattlesbushcraft 's complaint.

And one that most American sellers don't face.

• I can only add one bank account to my Managed Payments, while with PP I have both domestic (Canadian for me) and American (for payments in US dollars).  Managed Payments does not allow us foreigners to attach an American* bank account. This means paying our bank additional currency exchange fees.

But the problem as a buyer is that I cannot use my Managed Payment balance, I have to use a credit card (or a Paypal balance from sales on other sites) and incur extra fees from the card, because there is little likelihood of building a balance in a week.

Also, how many sellers have commercial accounts that charge for deposits? This is not uncommon in Canada. The bank prefers fewer larger deposits over many small ones, since that lowers their costs. If you are using a personal bank account you would not be aware of this.

*To be clear, this is an account in an American bank, not an account in a Canadian/foreign bank in US dollars.

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Where's the rip-off?

You will see the first one when you have to pay the currency conversion fees.  You know, those sales from international users that you can't block because they have a US shipping address and a non US payment instrument.  Buyers through the Pal used to pay these fees.  Not anymore.  I am sure this will attract more buyers so everyone should be fine and happy. 

If you are listing on .com your sales are in US Dollars and your buyers will need to cover the exchange (just as they do with PayPal or credit card). If you make a sale to a foreign buyer you as the seller will pay a higher payment processing fee (just as you do with PayPal except the MP fee is slightly lower).

I've run the numbers, my fees for International sales will be going down under MP relative to PayPal.

PayPal - non-US buyer 4.4% + $0.30

Managed Payments - non-US Buyer 4.0% + $0.30

Where is the rip-off?

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

If you are talking about the Fees for MP they aren't that much different than the current structure if you have a basic store or higher.

On my accounts that exclusively sell media items the new MP rate is 14.35%. At that rate media sellers here on eBay are the ones who will see a cost increase through Managed Payments.

We are paying 11.45% MORE ON SALES TAX THAN WE WERE PREVIOUSLY PAYING THROUGH PAY PAL which is 2.9%.

The overall 0.55% fee reduction does not overcome that additional 11.45% that we will pay on the sales tax. I ran the 2019 sales figures on one of my media selling accounts and it showed me that I will be paying roughly $800 more a year through MP. And then there is the loss of being able to pay my FVF'S at the end of the month using a credit card that gives me airline miles and points towards hotel stays, and these will amount to an additional loss of roughly $1,400.00 a year.

As Brian Burke stated "we (eBay) said that most sellers will see a savings". Therefore he is implying that some sellers will be paying more within the new MP program. 

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

On my accounts that exclusively sell media items the new MP rate is 14.35%. At that rate media sellers here on eBay are the ones who will see a cost increase through Managed Payments.

We are paying 11.45% MORE ON SALES TAX THAN WE WERE PREVIOUSLY PAYING THROUGH PAY PAL which is 2.9%.

The overall 0.55% fee reduction does not overcome that additional 11.45% that we will pay on the sales tax. I ran the 2019 sales figures on one of my media selling accounts and it showed me that I will be paying roughly $800 more a year through MP. And then there is the loss of being able to pay my FVF'S at the end of the month using a credit card that gives me airline miles and points towards hotel stays, and these will amount to an additional loss of roughly $1,400.00 a year.

As Brian Burke stated "we (eBay) said that most sellers will see a savings". Therefore he is implying that some sellers will be paying more within the new MP program. 

On the FVF side of things my math isn't showing that big of a difference in your fee category using my own sales numbers.  Granted I don't know what sales values are for Media.  I believe you are probably getting hit harder on the transaction fee more than the FVF.  Even if I do 9% tax on everything my numbers show I would only be seeing a .5% increase in FVFs

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

".......I would be seeing a .5% increase in FVFs"       Me too.  

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

Weirdly I haven't seen any of my sales since joining managed payments (a week or so ago) have sales tax calculated into them so fees haven't been charged on that.  Wasn't sure if this was a glitch with the implementation of managed payments or if ebay had actually backtracked on charging fees on sales tax.

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

@therogue-trader wrote:

Weirdly I haven't seen any of my sales since joining managed payments (a week or so ago) have sales tax calculated into them so fees haven't been charged on that.  Wasn't sure if this was a glitch with the implementation of managed payments or if ebay had actually backtracked on charging fees on sales tax.

eBay has pushed back the sales tax collection fees for eBay members who are currently enrolled in the new MP program to September  01. But after that point in time eBay will be collecting 14.35% on the sales tax charged to buyers for items purchased within one of the eBay's media categories.

So e

Message 15 of 42
latest reply