cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay and Paypal separating

I just read the ordeal of Ebay and Paypal seperating. I hope these changes will offer us to use different payment methods once again. 

I liked excepting money orders and the such. Also the New Bitcoin is in place. 

What do you think will happen out of this change?

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: eBay and Paypal separating

Icahn originally wanted paypal but it didn't work out that way for him.  The rest of the story is talk of a buy out and eBay being "ripe".  If you Google/yahoo/Bing it, there's a lot of information available.

Message 31 of 69
latest reply

They don't have to make an account, they don't have to store anything, they don't have to agree to any UA, nothing. In, out, no hair messed up.

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 32 of 69
latest reply

@thebaglady-2016 wrote:

They don't have to make an account, they don't have to store anything, they don't have to agree to any UA, nothing. In, out, no hair messed up.

The only time I ever tried to pay for something with ProPay (some years ago so maybe they have changed it now) they would not let me have it sent to my PO Box even though that was the address with my credit card. The seller checked for me and said it was some policy about sending only to physical addresses. I had to back out because at the time my physical address received no mail and my PO Box was my only option. (This wasn't on eBay but the seller's own website). He never could figure out why it was being rejected and ProPay was no help on it. Sort of soured me on paying with ProPay.

Message 33 of 69
latest reply

Overall I think the split may be a good thing.   Ebay will have a CEO whose sole focus will be on the marketplace not expanding paypal.    On the other hand there will be more pressure on growing the marketplace bottom line   which may result in fee increases.   JD made Meg Whitman look like the better alternative.  Hopefully the new guy will be better than JD for the marketplace.     Only time will tell. 

Message 34 of 69
latest reply

I don't know if I've encountered that before. I don't know if I've ever shipped to a PO box with Propay.  hmmmm, will have to start looking.  I know the one thing with it is a short time-out period.  So if you are using it, checkout as quickly as you can, as it may time out.  I'm loving it so far. So not perfect, but much better than paypal.

Message 35 of 69
latest reply

No one will disagree with you that paypal is the best solution ON EBAY. But, consider the facts if ebay was forced to allow ANY payment method.  Would paypal continue to be the majority?  Given a choice, I would love to see the results. If you do your research, you can go back and read about how ebay used to WARN people about using paypal, how unsafe it was.

Then they bought paypal, and now its buyers are brainwashed. 

But the only place that buyers are brainwashed in this way, is ebay.

I, for one, would love to see what would happen if paypal was NOT the only fully supported electronic payment method on ebay. 

Message 36 of 69
latest reply

what other payments option can you choose from and how ???

@dccomic wrote:

I ahve been selling on ebay for over 15 years we never had paypal. I take all major credit cards you can at any time opt out of paypal and open a merchant services account and pick 5 others ways to be paid one of them being taking all major credit cards.

Message 37 of 69
latest reply

Approved payment methods

Allowed

Allowed

• PayPal

• PayPal Credit

• ProPay

• Skrill

• Credit card or debit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account

• Payment upon pickup

If you offer payment upon pickup, you may include this statement in your listing: "Contact me for payment methods to pay on pickup."

Message 38 of 69
latest reply

Just so sellers know... Skrill and Propay (payment gateways) have restrictions on many categories so it's not the same as accepting merchant cards directly.

Message 39 of 69
latest reply

@gopetersen wrote:

Just so sellers know... Skrill and Propay (payment gateways) have restrictions on many categories so it's not the same as accepting merchant cards directly.

pete, I sold a few things that were supposedly in their not covered categories, and as long as I called to get some approval, they had absolutely no problem with me selling them, and they covered me entirely.  Went off without a hitch. Now I'm good to go in almost any category. They're just a little more selective about who and what they cover.  They know that they may have a better chance of getting business on ebay in the near future, so they are stretching to make it work. 

Message 40 of 69
latest reply

I totally agree with you. When I buy on other sites and are given the option between credit card and paypal I choose paypal. I do not understand the comments. (maybe new buyers don't want to open a paypal account)  Once it is opened I feel it is safer than typing in credit card numbers onto so many venders who can get hacked.

Message 41 of 69
latest reply

I sell on a few other sites and nearly all of my buyers choose Paypal. I've had a few payments through Shopify and Etsy but for the most part, my buyers choose Paypal.

Message 42 of 69
latest reply

In the beginning I was very hesitant to get a Paypal, sharing my bank information and such. But as a seller I don't see what other way would make sense for me personally. It's really easy to transfer money into my bank account from there and keep a small "pot" of money for when I would like to buy online. It has been pretty easy for me. I also prefer it to cash or check because it's just letting a third party step in and mediate the transaction, putting both sides at ease should something go awry.

What my concern now is, will sellers have to pay higher fees for using Paypal? With everything else going up, and this gigantic split on the horizon, I feel like we are in the calm before the storm...
Message 43 of 69
latest reply

Nothing will change for 6 years. They have agreements in place. Neither of them are stupid enough to believe that either will survive without the other.....especially ebay. Can you just imagine if ebay has to allow legitimate payment processors?  Ones they cannot control?  Wow, they would have to TRUST a seller once in a while, they would have to BELIEVE a seller once in a while, they would have to treat us like adults!!!!  They would have to PAY to make their MBG legite instead of just courtesy refunding to make up for china junk.... I'm dreaming....don't wake me up!

Message 44 of 69
latest reply

I don't think Paypal doesn't trust sellers. I think in a he said/he said situation, they have no way to know who is telling the truth so they undo the transaction as much as possible.

We have run across a lot of shady sellers on the board so it would be naive to think all sellers are honest. Why should Paypal take one side over the other? Aside from the whole SNAD debacle and scammers, Paypal is pretty much choosing NOT to take sides.

Message 45 of 69
latest reply