cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay and Paypal separating

I just read the ordeal of Ebay and Paypal seperating. I hope these changes will offer us to use different payment methods once again. 

I liked excepting money orders and the such. Also the New Bitcoin is in place. 

What do you think will happen out of this change?

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: eBay and Paypal separating

@dccomic wrote:

I ahve been selling on ebay for over 15 years we never had paypal. I take all major credit cards you can at any time opt out of paypal and open a merchant services account and pick 5 others ways to be paid one of them being taking all major credit cards.

Yep.

Merchant accounts require excellent credit.  That's just the way it is.  That isn't judging anyone for using another payment service, but if they had excellent credit, they wouldn't be limping along using a paypal wannabe.

Buyers will never use Propay.  Propay has NO BUYER PROTECTION, excludes massive categories such as electronics, and that's just for starters.

Merchant accounts are not required to use payflow.  There are other options, which sellers use all the time (those that qualify do, anyway)

authorize.net is an approved gateway

cybersource is an approved gateway

Many buyers don't want to use Paypal?  gopete, come on you know that's as silly as gentlemen prefer blondes. lol.gif

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 16 of 69
latest reply

@gopetersen wrote:

After the split, PayPal will be beholden to its shareholders and will make whatever decisions benefit PayPal.

How that will affect specific requests from eBay is hard to guess. They are splitting with certain "agreements" that PayPal and eBay will have to honor, probably for some period of years, but it's really difficult to guess what will happen on the detail level with transactions.

Who's going to initially own every share of PayPal? 

& wouldn't you expect  the operating agreements to give eBay some pretty preferential treatment since they're letting PayPal go with a large chunk of eBay cash (5 billion dollars or so)

I wouldn't expect any major changes for a while.`

Message 17 of 69
latest reply

@findingfinds888 wrote:

I'm finally going to ask... why did they separate? If paypal was ebays cash cow, then I don't understand the split... is this something that the law required, not a voluntary thing...?? 

Mainly Carl Icahn through his 46+ million shares of eBay & influence with the instutional investors who hold the majority of stock.

Message 18 of 69
latest reply

@kariandlarrysales wrote:

kariandlarrysales, 

Initially, any shareholder of eBay will own shares in PayPal.

When the split happens, eBay shareholders will receive proportional shares in both companies. 

Unlucky

Message 19 of 69
latest reply

supposedly 6 years. 1 of no changes and the 5 more still in agts, but then who knows after that. will be a long 6 more years.

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 20 of 69
latest reply

eponymous wrote: "Many buyers don't want to use Paypal?  gopete, come on you know that's as silly as gentlemen prefer blondes"

I've had a selling account on Etsy for several years now. I have both PayPal and merchant-card options. Not one buyer has ever chosen to use PayPal. When they have the option, they prefer to use their credit card directly and I've had some buyers tell me they don't have (and don't want) PayPal accounts.

I also have a significant number of friends who frequently shop online who do not have (and do not want) PayPal accounts. When they want to buy something on eBay (typically they buy on other sites, but sometimes they see something they want on eBay), they ask me to buy it for them and they reimburse me. They see no need for a PayPal account when most major sites accept debit/credit cards.

Personally, I signed up for PayPal very early, before they were bought by eBay, because I liked the option of buying items for small amounts. Credit cards typically have a lower limit and I was buying items for a dollar or two when I could find them. PayPal is good for sellers looking for cheap sources, but many buyers don't see a need for it.

Message 21 of 69
latest reply

@unluckytheloser wrote:

@kariandlarrysales wrote:

kariandlarrysales, 

Initially, any shareholder of eBay will own shares in PayPal.

When the split happens, eBay shareholders will receive proportional shares in both companies. 

Unlucky

Exactly - why would anyone expect any major changes in the way eBay & PayPal operate in the immediate future?

Message 22 of 69
latest reply

Linking between accounts will probably change and it has already been announced that funds holds will no longer be handled by eBay, eBay will have to request them from PayPal.

eBay was planning to get their own payments system out the door and assigned a leader to the team, who poached a transaction exec from Apple to get things going. When PayPal heard that, they said no way. You can't immediately compete with us, you have to wait five years. That says to me that PayPal will do what is good for PayPal regardless of whether it is good for eBay.

Yes, agreements will keep them together for a while, but those agreements will probably expire after a few years and I doubt if eBay will get everything they want from PayPal even now, if it hampers PayPal's success, especially considering the debt got loaded on eBay. Obviously, the shareholders are favoring PayPal (and there will be two separate BODs with different points of view when the split is finalized).

Message 23 of 69
latest reply

@gopetersen wrote:

eponymous wrote: "Many buyers don't want to use Paypal?  gopete, come on you know that's as silly as gentlemen prefer blondes"

I've had a selling account on Etsy for several years now. I have both PayPal and merchant-card options. Not one buyer has ever chosen to use PayPal. When they have the option, they prefer to use their credit card directly and I've had some buyers tell me they don't have (and don't want) PayPal accounts.

I also have a significant number of friends who frequently shop online who do not have (and do not want) PayPal accounts. When they want to buy something on eBay (typically they buy on other sites, but sometimes they see something they want on eBay), they ask me to buy it for them and they reimburse me. They see no need for a PayPal account when most major sites accept debit/credit cards.

Personally, I signed up for PayPal very early, before they were bought by eBay, because I liked the option of buying items for small amounts. Credit cards typically have a lower limit and I was buying items for a dollar or two when I could find them. PayPal is good for sellers looking for cheap sources, but many buyers don't see a need for it.

PayPal remains the most viable option for many small eBay sellers. That's not going to change.

Message 24 of 69
latest reply

@gopetersen wrote:

Linking between accounts will probably change and it has already been announced that funds holds will no longer be handled by eBay, eBay will have to request them from PayPal.

eBay was planning to get their own payments system out the door and assigned a leader to the team, who poached a transaction exec from Apple to get things going. When PayPal heard that, they said no way. You can't immediately compete with us, you have to wait five years. That says to me that PayPal will do what is good for PayPal regardless of whether it is good for eBay.

Yes, agreements will keep them together for a while, but those agreements will probably expire after a few years and I doubt if eBay will get everything they want from PayPal even now, if it hampers PayPal's success, especially considering the debt got loaded on eBay. Obviously, the shareholders are favoring PayPal (and there will be two separate BODs with different points of view when the split is finalized).

It's pretty oblivious that Icahn orchestrated the split & will have a major voice in the direction the separate companies travel.

I can't speak for the man nor do I have any idea what his long term goals are.

If you have the ability to see what's going to happen, perhaps you're wasting your time as an internet peddler?

Message 25 of 69
latest reply

Having been a selller since 1998 I've learned that with change comes chaos....so wait and see let the dust settle unless you have a staff to solve your problems.

In time the cream rises to the top and we small sellers can then do best for our own situation...

Message 26 of 69
latest reply

@gopetersen wrote:

I have also been selling a long time and I have many buyers thank me for not making them open a paypal account. It is becoming very common, more common than you think. People don't want to share their bank info, their SSN, any more financial info than absolutely necessary with anyone. They don't want any records of what they are buying, other than their cc's. Say what you want, but I agree with gopete, things they are a changing.....and I for one, LOVE IT.

Message 27 of 69
latest reply

have also been selling a long time and I have many buyers thank me for not making them open a paypal account.

Just because the seller is using paypal to accept payments, doesn't mean the buyer has to sign up with paypal. It hasn't been that way for at least a decade now. 

Message 28 of 69
latest reply

I do not take paypal, so it is not an option, even for guests. I was of the like that believed my experiment would end in defeat, but it has been since Nov of last year and it has been surprisingly successful. I was VERY surprised how many buyers did not protest to my not taking paypal. I get notes all the time thanking them for allowing them to use their cc.

Yes, I get some shocked ones, but with a little help, they go through the ebay checkout (and YES, that does give them the exact same buyer protection as any other payment method on ebay), and do just fine. Some complaints, more cancels and UI cases than most, but not the majority.

Message 29 of 69
latest reply

"I get notes all the time thanking them for allowing them to use their cc."

It's good your payment processor is working out for you, but if they are thanking you, it means they don't understand paypal.

Buyers can, and many do, pay with a credit card with paypal. Without a paypal account. Or, if they have a paypal account already, they can do it without "signing in" to paypal.

The checkout process is the same as with any other payment processor, except that the page where they enter their credit card info sits on paypals  server, and not someone elses.

Message 30 of 69
latest reply