cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Shipping supplies - no longer a reasonable option

I used to purchase my shipping supplies through eBay Shipping Supplies using my quarterly coupon but it seems the prices have gotten worse and worse to the point that I cannot imagine paying full price for any of these items. They are obviously only marketing to store sellers because the $25 coupon for basic store owners barely makes a dent in the cost of most items  

I just noticed they have a listing for shipping stickers and charging over $40. A total of 144 stickers of varying sizes for $40.  These are 2.5-4” stickers.  Who would pay $40 for mostly useless stickers except the This End Up (which the shipping companies really don’t care about). Most shipping companies prefer no added stickers to packaging and most of these are decorations. 
Aside from the stickers, $32 for a pack or eBay branded tissue paper, some of the boxes are nearly $2, some are more.  
If this coupon was a benefit, we would be getting our moneys worth but it’s a money maker instead. It gets sellers to buy from the ebay store rather than looking elsewhere. eBay already charges exorbitant fees! I just noticed the final value fee for books the other day! It used to be one of the lower percentages back when I sold more books. Now it iw 14.95% of the total, including tax and shipping. Plus the flat feet. 

I started  contemplating leaving eBay 2 years ago, but since I didn’t have time to list all of my inventory anyway, there was no point looking elsewhere to sell.  I am rethinking things as I am sure many are. eBay is more for big sellers, international sellers and the like. It is not so much for the little guy like it used to be many moons ago. 

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: eBay Shipping supplies - no longer a reasonable option

@fern*wood wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

"Promotional" means they are only good for a period of time.  The Store options does not say this is a "promotion", which means for a limited time, it is simply a part of the things available for the store level you may select.  Certainly for a calendar month, but still not a "promotion".

Part of the confusion with that term is that ebay clumps all the freebies on the hub under "promotional offers", even the normal store allotment. 

That is a valid point.  Thank you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 46 of 80
latest reply

Everything is overpriced on ebay, may as well make it all uniform LOL

Message 47 of 80
latest reply

Just go and be poster person why don't ya, so you love big greedy corporations?

Message 48 of 80
latest reply

Another one blindly defending the greedy corporation

Message 49 of 80
latest reply

@legacycoins wrote:

Everything is overpriced on ebay, may as well make it all uniform LOL

That is simply not true or sellers would not be selling on the site.  And while your sales may be down, IDK, but not all sellers are experiencing that.

Message 50 of 80
latest reply

@legacycoins wrote:

Just go and be poster person why don't ya, so you love big greedy corporations?

Ebay has the right to charge us for services rendered.  They are after all a for profit corporation.  Ebay is not the most expensive site to sell on nor is it the cheapest.  You can find sites that are less money.  You then need to research that site to make sure it gets the traffic you need to get the sales you desire.  Sometimes sellers just have to decide what is more important.  The fees and/or sales.

"Greedy", I always find that an interesting comment by sellers.

Yes, Ebay is a for profit corporation.  The reason they started the company was to make money.  It is what runs the economy of the USA.  We are capitalists here.

And while you seem to view this for Ebay differently than you do for sellers, simply defies logic.

Seller, ALL sellers come here to sell stuff and make money.  That would make all of us "greedy" too.

So what's the point.  Or is it just a double standard?

Message 51 of 80
latest reply

@legacycoins wrote:

Another one blindly defending the greedy corporation

For some reason there are posters here that make statements like this.  There is such a big difference between stating FACTS and "defending" someone.  The two are not the same.  I realize often [not necessarily you] posters do not want facts to get in the way of a good venting, but often it does.

Message 52 of 80
latest reply

Boxes are more reasonable at Walmart.

But I'd have to leave my house and get to WalMart which is on an erratic busline, and carry them home on the bus.

Even if DH drove me, I'd have to go into WalMart. I was horrified when my doctor moved her clinic there and opt for telephone consultations as much as possible instead.

Message 53 of 80
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Boxes are more reasonable at Walmart.

But I'd have to leave my house and get to WalMart which is on an erratic busline, and carry them home on the bus.

Even if DH drove me, I'd have to go into WalMart. I was horrified when my doctor moved her clinic there and opt for telephone consultations as much as possible instead.

Another thing to consider, many states allow sellers to buy shipping supplies tax free.  Unlikely you can get Ebay to do that.  But I really don't know as I've never tried.

On Ebay I just had to file my Resale Certificate the exempts me from sales tax and I can buy all my shipping supplies on Ebay easily and no sales tax is applied.

I know some states likely have different rules.  It may pay sellers to check their state requirements.

Message 54 of 80
latest reply

Even if you can't use the supplies for free as is, it still makes great packing materials. 

I've cut an 8x6x4 box in half to ship books between, inside a padded envelope. 

I have used the padded envelopes inside large boxes to cushion things.

So I can't see how they are useless, and like Richard says, they are free.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 55 of 80
latest reply

Great point.

I use the tissue paper to wrap my beads and findings in and then put them into a padded envelop. I've had 100% success rate with them arriving at my buyers with no damage.

Message 56 of 80
latest reply

I use the 8x6x4 boxes cut in half for shipping those big oversized patterns too.  And comic books, and whatever else is big and flat and fits...😁

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 57 of 80
latest reply

For me, I recycle boxes I get various delivers in.  With how small our Coupons are, it does cover the Padded Envelopes I need, so I don't have any room to buy boxes too or I might just do that.

Message 58 of 80
latest reply

Yes, I saw that. As I explained in a prior response to someone that also pointed that out, I didn't mean you to be you as the OP. I meant it to be you in a collective noun. Sorry for the confusion. Their prices are ridiculous. 

Message 59 of 80
latest reply

If you have a store you should get the coupon. However I will say this they don't make it easy to find. They send emails an messages about everything else.

Anyway look here :  Seller Hub ==> click Marketing tab===> Click Subscriber Discount.

The coupon comes in January  April   July  October

I like to wait until it's just about to expire then I order because I want to see what new items they will add.

HOWEVER when the Christmas items come out in October I like to buy early in case they sell out because they sometimes have nice colors.

Message 60 of 80
latest reply