cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Sales Promotions

I just read another article about how Amazon is preparing for tomorrows' cyber Monday event. These ads/articles remind folks where to go hunting for online deals.  Where in the world are eBays' ads being seen? I mean for actual gift purchases. Not for cars or getting something authenticated. Some promos for the things the millions of sellers hope to sell this month! Are we just supposed to hope, pray, pay to promote with no help whatsoever from the website owners???

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

eBay Sales Promotions

@moldy5 

"Are we just supposed to hope, pray, pay to promote with no help whatsoever from the website owners???"

Yes.

Especially the "pay to promote" part. 

ebay has been pretty clear. This year, just like the last two years, ebay will do target marketing of its "Focus Categories" (Parts and Accessories, Sneakers, High End Handbags and Watches, Certified Refurbished, etc) but will not do an actual "Holiday Marketing Campaign" for the site. ebay says it gets enough traffic without paying for it.

So, yeah, if you aren't selling in the Focus Categories, you are pretty much on your own.

Happy Holidays! And best of luck, because we are all gonna need it!

Message 2 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

I saw 4 tv ads for Etsy over the weekend so far.

1 item of women’s clothing was so fabulous to me I almost went to Etsy immediately searching for it.

I love a jumpsuit and how do you like that they showed a lovely jumpsuit!

I think that’s an unusual choice of merchandise to feature…

Message 3 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

Honestly, I don't think people think of EBAY as a place to shop for Christmas presents.   EBAY shoppers tend to look for obscure items they can't find anywhere else or rock bottom prices.

Your Michael Jackson collection is awesome!   I did Yahoo Search using your exact title "1984 Pop TV Giants Presents Michael Jackson Life Story Magazine" for one of your magazines and very surprised....competitors EBAY ads showed up (much higher prices) but I couldn't find your item anywhere.   Do you pay to promote your items?  Your should raise your prices to cover promotion costs.

Good luck to you...

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

You're about to read an endless stream of eBay's cosmic defenders telling you they see plenty of ads. 
Like on Facebook. Yeah....the place where Grandma posts her 37 pics of Thanksgiving dinner.
Home of the retired and the 3rd World masses.
Meanwhile on the TV I see and endless parade of ads from Amazon, Poshmark, and Wayfair. I guess they see value in advertising.
The bottom line is : eBay doesn't give a crap about the majority of it's sellers who are keeping their diminishing platform afloat. If it's not focus categories, they're not spending. 
But there's another problem. The PL percentage sellers are having to pay in those "focus categories" like guaranteed fit auto parts, is dragging their prices up to where they can easily be had elsewhere like RockAuto or Discount Auto Parts. Or you local Autozone.
The rising cost of shipping is also affecting them.
Unless you find a specialty niche like "stainless steel engine"?  has, it's basically becoming a junk yard of used and "re-conditioned" parts. 
Oh well....it is what it is.
I've resigned myself as a seller, that nothing's going to happen.  

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

Honey Thank You so much for the camshaft, In some cases that could be true, BUT Not your typical gift giving!, Yes Hope & Pray!

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

There are plenty of NIB items on ebay suitable for gift giving.

Also plenty of Christmas/Holiday decorations, serving ware etc.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

@moldy5   Did you ever see the 1962 film "No man is an island"?   Well, as it relates to selling on eBay a film might be titled, "Every Seller is an Island" ... meaning you are pretty much on your own. 

Per the list of Focus Categories posted up thread this message might apply:  "You don't have what they want, try Promoting your listings!" 

I guess the most recent feature is that Sellers have the option to pay to advertise via Google Ads ... I've seen a number of Google commercials during college football games recently ... 

Screenshot (323).png

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 8 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

@jewelbiz 

I also saw several Etsy commercials, but I mute them as they are annoying.  These new commercials with people who can't sing has got to stop! 😣 I have seen eBay commercials on random cable channels for eBay motors "Guaranteed Fit"...I think that's what it's called, but that's it.  I guess the rest of us aren't worthy.

Have a great day!!  

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

@joliztoyco wrote:

You're about to read an endless stream of eBay's cosmic defenders telling you they see plenty of ads. 
Like on Facebook. Yeah....the place where Grandma posts her 37 pics of Thanksgiving dinner.
Home of the retired and the 3rd World masses.
Meanwhile on the TV I see and endless parade of ads from Amazon, Poshmark, and Wayfair. I guess they see value in advertising.
The bottom line is : eBay doesn't give a crap about the majority of it's sellers who are keeping their diminishing platform afloat. If it's not focus categories, they're not spending. 
But there's another problem. The PL percentage sellers are having to pay in those "focus categories" like guaranteed fit auto parts, is dragging their prices up to where they can easily be had elsewhere like RockAuto or Discount Auto Parts. Or you local Autozone.
The rising cost of shipping is also affecting them.
Unless you find a specialty niche like "stainless steel engine"?  has, it's basically becoming a junk yard of used and "re-conditioned" parts. 
Oh well....it is what it is.
I've resigned myself as a seller, that nothing's going to happen.  

Said it before... What does eBay have in respect to advertising on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

What exactly are they supposed to advertise?  I think we can agree most people shopping for the holidays are looking for new stuff, brand new.  They are looking for bargains over this particular weekend, where are the bargains?  Amazon is a retailer, eBay is not.  Poshmark is known for clothing more so than anything else, pretty easy focus there.  Wayfair deals in home products, again, easy focus, up to 80% off.  Do we see any eBay resellers wanting band together and sell things at 50-80% off and actually have quantities to meet demand?

Do we have vendors willing to commit potentially large inventories where there are quantities to suit demand 60-90 days in advance and it actually be stuff consumers want to gift over the holidays?

eBay's focus categories are not simply focus because of value's.  They are focus and moving towards authentication because retail, manufacturers and governments are pushing and not pushing lightly to regulate third party commerce.  It's like David versus Goliath's whole family.   Anyone actually listen to the hearings related to The Safe Shopping Act?  Amazon is #1 in problems followed by here but the difference is Amazon has FBA and can make arrangements with manufactures towards authenticity.  I predict with two years or less Amazon will require all goods go through FBA and they're gonna raise the selling costs into the 25%-40% range.

Anybody ever think maybe eBay trying to bank money so as time marches they can increase focal categories and authentication requirements?  That's what I'd be doing at the helm not because that's what want to do but because that's what has to be done or Governments are going to force measures that will simply put, wipe third party selling out.

Again, the last incarnation of the Safe Shopping end would have ended eBay, Poshmark, Etsy, Mercari, all of em' yet not Amazon and yet not Walmart.  Both of those entities have the infrastructure to adjust making 99% sure that customers get EXACTLY what they ordered as described.

eBay is NOT the problem and you, me, other sellers reading this may not be the problem.  eBay is a venue, a venue where people sell things and unfortunately for eBay and all the very good sellers the bad sellers are and HAVE BEEN a problem.  Every limiter on this site from Vero, Trust & Safety, Money Back Guarantee, iNAD's on and on and on exist because of bad sellers.  That's just a fact.  Now good sellers get to feel the pain due to bad sellers.  Right?

So solution, get rid of bad sellers right?

How?

You sell a Mr. Widget someone claims is counterfeit when they get it.  How do you prove its not?  I show a Walmart receipt?  Proves nothing.  A seller could get 10 receipts and had sold those someplace else.  The ONLY proof is by the manufacturer who doesn't want there stuff sold by third parties for the most part to begin with, they want authorized resellers.

Joe/sephine Q.  buys ten refurbished Playstation 5's sells them, half of them belly up within 90 days.  Did the seller run the units for days on end pushing them with titles that stress the hardware?  Nope.

Point being I can cite a million and one potential circumstances whereby consumers are at a loss to sellers and THATS A BIG PROBLEM.

How does eBay determine every cellphone sold is in fact authentic, going to continue working on and on.  Is eBay to test every single cellphone sold?  These are real problems and thus Money Back Guarantee's in place but that does NOT SATISFY ANY CONSUMER who buys something only for things to go awry.

I used to deal with this ALL THE TIME.  Yep.  People buying PC Software only to install it and either A. Doesn't work or B. Screw up their PC's, then they try fix things making it worse followed by communication to me whereby many were literally flipping out.  Can explain to them all day long, "I didn't write the software, just a reseller like CompUSA or Walmart, Staples..."  Doesn't matter...  "What you sold me doesnt work.", "It messed up my PC and I can't fix it!  I tried!", "It ruined my computer!  Now I have to bring it someplace and you should pay for the repairs."

Oh believe you me, I've heard it all!

So again... Exactly what is eBay to advertise?

"Shop eBay and find everything for you're holiday gifts?"

Where are the sales?  Where are the bargains?  You seriously expect me to look at 100 listings for this item and not be worried about what I get?

Ask how many consumers have had a bad experience on eBay be that a horrible one, something that said it was new but didn't seem new when it arrived?  How many "I can't give this to him/her for Xmas!" have happened?  Again, its NOT EBAY, its sellers.  eBay is simply a website no different than FB Marketplace, Amazon is not Facebook Marketplace and Amazon is BRUTAL in consumer satisfaction.

I dont know about now, but I can tell you back in the day they'd a 2.5% rate on most goods of any issues.  That is to say if a third party seller had 2.5 validated complaints to Amazon within 100 sales, done, account cancelled.  They afford one appeal, a comprehensive strategy to improve.  If anything other than that is received, it's all done and even at that, Amazon 3P sales remain #1 on the Internet creating problems for consumers and manufacturers.  That's according to the folks testifying before Congressional members re: Safe Shopping Act.

During those discussions it was asked, "How many consumers have had an experience of counterfeit or incorrectly described merchandise come to them."  In the polls these operations ran it was two in three people.  There's the problem.  Is that eBays fault?  Amazon's fault?  No, not in the least.  Its sellers.  eBay hols funds on new sellers, big ticket on and on because of problems.  In a perfect eBay or perfect Amazon not a single restriction should or need exist.

Sellers need to start seeing things in the reality that they are versus through their own glasses of what they want to see.  I could say the same of America in general, the people are their own worst enemy because they want compartmentalize their thinking, lifestyles and more never wanting to see the reality more or less contribute to solving those realities.

As much as people want blame Jamie for eBay thangs I am like 110% positive that 99.9% of sellers on eBay could not fill one of his shoes more or less both, self included.  That's why he is a CEO and has the background to be one and we peddle trinkets online.

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

@toomuchstuffagain35 

With around 1.7 BILLION listings on eBay I am sure there are plenty of New or New Other listings suitable for gift giving or as you mentioned, decorating for the Holidays ... my wife sold a 48" tall Empire Blow Mold Santa Claus two weeks ago ... used to be sure but desirable this time of year.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@toomuchstuffagain35 

With around 1.7 BILLION listings on eBay I am sure there are plenty of New or New Other listings suitable for gift giving or as you mentioned, decorating for the Holidays ... my wife sold a 48" tall Empire Blow Mold Santa Claus two weeks ago ... used to be sure but desirable this time of year.

Absolutely!

Yet Christmas has basically a three week assurance window come Black Friday.  Why are people spending so much money this year?  The bargains.  Where are the bargains here and quantities to suit demand that an international company, eBay, can promote from say 10,000+ eBay sellers?

It's like going to that whatever the name giant flea market in California and on a Bull Horn two months ago saying, "Ok... Everyone listen up!  Everything here needs a 40-80% markdown for The Black Friday Weekend and you need commit to that pricing now.  Anything that you can't commit, we understand.  But we're going to segment that stuff as the focus of that weekend are deep discounts."

You'd see the vendors at the Flea Market loose their minds, same here.

eBay is running ad's, focal ad's.  Those focal ad's going to bring in more traffic than, "Hey we have anything and everything.  Come roll the dice."

Too late now really leverage this weekend but I'll put it out there again...

Question:  Exactly what would any of us think be effective advertising for eBay to have done?  Take into account every retailer of size competing for consumer dollars running sales and ad's at deep discounts for new desirable products and have been for several weeks prior to the weekend.

So what do those ad's look like, everyone chime in.

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

@retro_entertainment_collectibles wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@toomuchstuffagain35 

Question:  Exactly what would any of us think be effective advertising for eBay to have done?  Take into account every retailer of size competing for consumer dollars running sales and ad's at deep discounts for new desirable products and have been for several weeks prior to the weekend.

So what do those ad's look like, everyone chime in.

Gee, the silence is deafening... Imagine that.

Hmmm.

I know, eBay should have run buckets of video game ad's.  Oh no, that'd get the sellers of DVD's mad.  Hmm. I know, they should have run buckets of ad's on consumer home entertainment items.  Oh no, that's get the folks selling collectibles mad.  Oh I know, they should have ran buckets of Toy ad's... Hmm, well, the apparel folks say, "What about us?"

Hmmm... What to do, what to do. 

Oh I know they should have run buckets of ancient PC games ad's for my sake. Perhaps some support videos of families in front the TV with the kids looking bewildered whilst Mom and Dad stare at each other in bewilderment asking, "What year is it baby?" and the Mom answering, "It's 1998 Dear... Remember?  You're only seven years old...  Of course like you're father says, you're not the brightest bulb."

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

It may be hard to accept but advertising Ebay might be a waste of money.

Ebay is an extremely well known destination on the web. It does not need to be introduced to shoppers.

Shoppers have predefined attitudes to Ebay, from those who believe it is a great place for bargains to those who believe it is an online flea market, and like flea markets some of the merchandise is of questionable providence and authenticity.

Some shopper also may believe that the time frame of a successful transaction is longer than other sites, and should anything go wrong the time to remedy a problem is of greater length than other site, running as long as infinity.

Your analysis of Amazon is slightly off. FBA will not add greater assurance of authenticity of products than is already provided in many categories. Some categories and name brand products in categories, already require invoices from the wholesale arms of manufacturers or their authorized distributors in order to list. If issues appear after they list they will be asked for 6 months or a year's worth of invoices. Invoices from liquidators are not accepted. Receipts from retailers are not accepted. Amazon does not wait for complaints for many popular products, like VeRo does, it is preemptive. Amazon removes sellers who submit counterfeit invoices.

Amazon has too many sellers for many items, and errs on removing sellers to protect the customer - it costs them very little in lost sales.

Amazon requires sellers of toys to provide them with CPSC certificates which are current for toy listings. This eliminates many collectible toys where the certificates are years old. Again, the loss of revenue is small compared with the risks of legal action by the government and bad PR.

Amazon censors books, videos and other media to a larger extent than Ebay. Many experienced booksellers cannot think of a reason for some of the banned books. Most of the same books can be listed and sold on Ebay, and IMO should be.

Amazon is increasingly blocking sales of prohibited items to states which have barred them.

Every time there are newspaper stories undermining trust of safety on Amazon, there are sellers who fill their forum and other online groups with their complaints about the tightening of Amazon policies. Having been active on the Amazon forums, I am shocked by how the complaints about Ebay policies here seem minor.

Walmart also seems better regulated.

Ebay seems focused on trying to milk the Ebay buyer rather than the consumer universe.

If Ebay adopted Amazon's rules, Ebay would take a huge revenue hit.

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

eBay Sales Promotions

@ckimodog wrote:

@jewelbiz 

These new commercials with people who can't sing has got to stop😣

According to some of the carp that kids listen to today, that's the in thing.

My Granddaughter listens to some song and it sounds like a sick cow and they call it music.

Have a great day.
Message 15 of 44
latest reply