cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

combined shipping / you can't request a total for items that require immediate payment

I've found two items I would like to buy from one seller. I've asked the seller if he will do combined shipping. Here's the answer I got:

COMBINED SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. When you see an item you like, click "Buy It Now" or wait until you win your auction.
2. You will be taken to a webpage that confirms your order with the option to "Continue Checkout with PayPal". Do not checkout to pay for this item (yet).
3. When you are finished shopping for your several items, proceed to your "Purchase History". You will see the option on the right side of your just-ordered items to "Pay Now" or "Request total from seller". Select "Request total from seller" and enter a message to notify the seller that you would like to combine your orders to ship together.
4. Wait for the seller to send you a new invoice, and pay attention to any discounts they applied. There are 2 sections sellers can apply the discount, through the Shipping Charge or through the discount section.
5. Checkout with PayPal with this new invoice.

When I click on the BIN bottom for both items they will go into my cart, whoever they don't appear in the Purchase History.

Also I cannot contact the seller because above in the cart is says "you can't request a total for items that require immediate payment".

How can this be solved?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: combined shipping / you can't request a total for items that require immediate payment

The nearest fix I figured is that you have to tunnel down into your Business Policy settings and find the one that applies to Payments, and select PayPal vs. PayPal(immediate), but I don't know if this works yet or not.

eBay has so many conflicts, they make it hard for buyers and sellers alike.  Arrrrhhhhhh.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Re: combined shipping / you can't request a total for items that require immediate payment

Ebay really is bad in this way! If I have two small items in cart (from same seller but different listing) I will get charged for shipping twice regardless of the fact that the seller's policy is each additional item free! A huge company like ebay should be able to make this work! I end up taking my biz elsewhere! I will not pay double or more of the price of little items in shipping to appease ebay!  This has been an issue for a long time!

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

A fresh look at this in 2022 - the seller has to have a Payment policy under business policies and it is in that payment policy where the seller will find the checkbox to require immediate payment.

The bad news is, even with that unchecked - the seller isn't requiring immediate payment - that's how mine is, buyers can't just add items to their cart, go into that cart and click on Request total from seller because the items they added to their cart themselves aren't actually items that the buyer has actually committed to buy at that point.  Even proceeding the from cart page to the checkout page isn't a commitment to buy, because you can still back out and abandon your cart at that point.   And following through with checkout and paying for the order - well, that makes the whole issue of Request Total from Seller MOOT.

According to everything I have seen, Request total from seller works only on 1) Make Offers that have been accepted, or on 2) auctions that have been won - items falling into those two categories will be viewable in a person's shopping cart but the difference is, the commitment to purchase was already made (and the seller already sees the items in his Orders Awaiting Payment page) - and THAT is when the buyer CAN request total from seller from their cart.  Alternately at this stage, the seller himself can send an invoice for any items awaiting payment.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

If you want to buy two or more fixed price with IM items and pay for 'corrected' shipping  - Contact the seller, tell them what you want and they can pick one listing and add the cost of the other items to it, along with correcting shipping if need to, and you can buys that one item.

We do it for our buyers all the time.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

here we are 2.5 yrs later and still NO auto comb. shipping, its a basic formula too!  ebay needs to do this allow buyers to enter all the box sizes they stock , buyer enter the individual items sizes and weights system calculated best options, sometimes the packages will still need to be separate because a larger size single box can be more expensive to ship than 2 smaller ones, BUT the system should be able to calculate that and go with the cheapest option for combination of boxing 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Contact the seller again.  Its such an inconvenience for buyers.  I resolved this combined shipping fiasco years ago, but, I only ship flat items.  Easy for me.  

The seller probably checked off no immediate payment required, either through Business Policies, or individually, but,   its not working.  I always hot test after making changes.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply