cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**bleep** is with Ebay and seller limits?

Anyone have any luck pushing back with Ebay for selling limits?    We keep getting the messages of sorry for your luck, but we (Ebay) does not think we sell a high enough percentage of our offerings.   This mystery group who we have been told we cannot talk to appears to think  they know more of our business model?

Our business is all made at the time of ordering.  We offer a large array of infrequent shapes, sizes, and combinations.  While wildly successful on our other platforms, We constantly face Ebay restrictions.  Either in high quantity buyers or the ability to make those quantities available. 

Any help would be great.... otherwise we will likely drop this portion of our business since Ebay appears to not want it.  Currently, Ebay is only 5% or so of all our sale outlets.  This limitation is creating the biggest hold back. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: **bleep** is with Ebay and seller limits?

No Brian your team is not available by phone.  I have been told they are a closed group on 5 occations.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@jk_vinyl_and_wood wrote:

Anyone have any luck pushing back with Ebay for selling limits?    We keep getting the messages of sorry for your luck, but we (Ebay) does not think we sell a high enough percentage of our offerings.   This mystery group who we have been told we cannot talk to appears to think  they know more of our business model?

Our business is all made at the time of ordering.  We offer a large array of infrequent shapes, sizes, and combinations.  While wildly successful on our other platforms, We constantly face Ebay restrictions.  Either in high quantity buyers or the ability to make those quantities available. 

Any help would be great.... otherwise we will likely drop this portion of our business since Ebay appears to not want it.  Currently, Ebay is only 5% or so of all our sale outlets.  This limitation is creating the biggest hold back. 

I can solve your problem easily!

I just had a quick look at your listings which seem to be mostly multi quantity with a listed quantity "greater than 10". If you reduce the quantity listed on each listing you will lower the number of active items and be able to make more listings.

1 listing with a quantity of 10 available

or

10 listings with an available quantity of 1

They will both have the same impact on your limits. Unless your buyers frequently purchase more than 10 of a specific item there is no advantage to listing them that way.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

You have over 27k listings and they have you limited? That is crazy. Might be a good idea to call CS and see if you can get whatever limit you are working against lifted.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:
You have over 27k listings and they have you limited? That is crazy. Might be a good idea to call CS and see if you can get whatever limit you are working against lifted.

Excellent advice.  Ebay allows sellers to call in once every 30 days to request an increase in their limit.  As long as their selling account is in good standing they should give an increase.  Repeat the process every month until you have your account limit higher than you would ever need.

In the meantime I like the other suggestion about reducing some quantities in the meantime until you start to get the limit raised.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

We keep getting the messages of sorry for your luck, but we (Ebay) does not think we sell a high enough percentage of our offerings.

That's interesting. I've never heard of customer service saying sell through rate impacts listing limits.

slippinjimmy has some good advice to free up some space. Also, if you have any items that are duds you can end those listings and replace them with new inventory.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

The OP has 27,000 listings it seems they all show a quantity of 10 or more so that is actually 270,000 active items, even if the value was an average of $10 that would be $2.7 MILLION Dollars worth of goods being offered for sale.

They are an old seller (pre-2011) so unless they ask eBay does not display this sellers limit in My eBay or the Hub. Pre-2011 sellers usually have very high limits but even if this seller had a limit of 250,000 items and $2m value they would be hitting them all the time.

Limits are based on the number of active items (not listings) and the value of those items. Now look at those numbers and compare that to what they are actually selling, maybe a few thousand Dollars a month.

All they need to do is manage the inventory in a more efficient way.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

The OP has 27,000 listings it seems they all show a quantity of 10 or more so that is actually 270,000 active items, even if the value was an average of $10 that would be $2.7 MILLION Dollars worth of goods being offered for sale.

They are an old seller (pre-2011) so unless they ask eBay does not display this sellers limit in My eBay or the Hub. Pre-2011 sellers usually have very high limits but even if this seller had a limit of 250,000 items and $2m value they would be hitting them all the time.

Limits are based on the number of active items (not listings) and the value of those items. Now look at those numbers and compare that to what they are actually selling, maybe a few thousand Dollars a month.

All they need to do is manage the inventory in a more efficient way.

I always wondered about that.  I know I have been personally told I don't have a "limit" necessarily.  I have wondered how much eBay would limit me selling though.  I used to call and get approval anytime I would list a high value item to be safe.  I have managed to keep my account in good standing so odds are I will never see that limit.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi @jk_vinyl_and_wood, our Selling Limits team is available by phone. If you go to this help page and select 'Call us' at the bottom then you will be directed to the limits team. They'll be happy to review your account to see what options are available for an increase to your current limit 🙂

Brian,
Community Team
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

I’ve actually never heard of this. Maybe because I’m pre-2011 and my selling limits are clearly shown in my seller hub.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

I’ve actually never heard of this. Maybe because I’m pre-2011 and my selling limits are clearly shown in my seller hub.

Limits only display on my post 2011 registered selling id's, nothing on the others. I have a friend with a similar selling history as mine, he was curious so he called to ask (they then showed up), turned out his limit was 100,000 items or $1.5 million (he has never listed more than a couple of thousand worth less than 100k).

From what I've heard simply calling and discussing limits makes them show even if you don't ask for an increase, seems to be just a switch that eBay turns on.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Limits only display on my post 2011 registered selling id's, nothing on the others. I have a friend with a similar selling history as mine, he was curious so he called to ask (they then showed up), turned out his limit was 100,000 items or $1.5 million (he has never listed more than a couple of thousand worth less than 100k).

From what I've heard simply calling and discussing limits makes them show even if you don't ask for an increase, seems to be just a switch that eBay turns on.

Oh okay. That would make sense. Yea I do recall my account not having anything until I called them. And my newer accounts already had them shown... it was likely they were post 2011.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Mine don't show either.  I asked once and the guy kind of laughed and said I was just fine.  The number was so high there would be no way I would exceed it.  And to date it has never presented an issue for me.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Brian,

I have been told by your seller group on many occasions that I cannot talk to the decision making group.  Ebay continues to be the smallest outlook of our sales as a result.   This 'group' cannot get it in their head that total $$ and units listed is a non starting statistic for our business as all items are made at the time of ordering.    This very mental block exhibited affords about 10% of our total catalog being added.  Etsy has had no issue understanding this and as a result gain a hefty share of our business.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

No Brian your team is not available by phone.  I have been told they are a closed group on 5 occations.  

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

In our business, having multiplkes of basic craft supplies is needed.  On our other platforms, our typical sale is 20-300.  Maybe Ebay enjoys not having this volume and explains why they are onyl 10% of our annual sales :?

Message 15 of 16
latest reply