Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero sales but $11.65 in selling fee's

A buyer purchased a dress for $89.99 under the fiollowing terms:

1)   Free shipping.

2)  Buyer pays return shipping.

3)  Buyer pays restocking fee.

After I shipped the dress the buyer contacted me to ask if she could cancel the sale because the event she was purchasing the dress for had been cancelled.  She decided that she would refuse delivery and would wait for her refund upon the delivery of the dress.

In the meantime,  I contacted ebay for direction on how to handle the situation before I did anything because after two months with zero sales, the only thing I had in the account was what the buyer sent, minus the cost of the shipping label.  I didn't want an upset buyer but at the same time, it's not very fair that I stress myself out trying to make $9.19 appear out of nowhere or to lose the $9.19 for no reason other than I had a dress listed on eBay.   I was advised by eBay that I should stand by my return policy in this case and it should be handled the same way a "buyers remorse" return would be handled and the buyer should foot the cost of the shipping label.

As soon as I got the dress back I sent the buyer what was left in my paypal account, the total of the dress minus the $9.19 that was spent on the shipping label.   I attached a note to the buyer via paypal on her refund e-mail that I hoped she was not disappointed by the $9.19 deduction and invited her to shop with me again in the future, and offered a $9.19 a credit towrds the total of her next sale.  I also sent the transaction cancellation request that she previously asked for, "Your cancellation reason : Buyer asked to cancel the order".  I did not charge a restocking fee because this is something I only use for people who borrow my clothes and return it after wearing it to their events and clearly this was not the case.

She got angry, left me a negative feedback, eBay removed it but the return request still remains open.... for 2 weeks.  I called on week 1 to have it closed in my favor but the CS I spoke with refused to close it and told me to just let it time out even though the refund has already been processed.

Today, looking at my eBay account, which is now passed due, I see I owe $11.65 in eBay fee's when I should actually have a $0.00 balance.  The $11.65 is the final value fee on the dress plus shipping... but the I also see (screenshot) eBays interface is treating the return as a $9.19 sale when it's actually not a sale, it's a loss.

Since there is no balance in my paypal account eBay will not be getting their $11.65 and certainly will recieve nothing from me until they can show me some sales which means my account will most likely have a hold placed on it for non-payment aka my account is due to be suspended.

So... ebay, please either enable my listings in search results so you can get your payment or I guess.. well, eBay doesn't seem to want the small seller here so should I assume this is goodbye?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Zero sales but $11.65 in selling fee's

@haute_again wrote:

Since there is no balance in my paypal account eBay will not be getting their $11.65 and certainly will recieve nothing from me until they can show me some sales  

eBay won't "show you some sales" if you let your account go in arrears and your account gets suspended.  And risking your credit rating over twelve bucks would just be piling another poor decision on top of the first one. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Once it was shipped you should've had the buyer open a Return.  You could've deducted your restocking fee then.

A cancellation is supposed to take place before shipping.  It entitles the buyer to a full refund.  No full refund - no FVF credit.  Your buyer didn't cancel - she returned.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

Once it was shipped you should've had the buyer open a Return.  You could've deducted your restocking fee then.

@A cancellation is supposed to take place before shipping.  It entitles the buyer to a full refund.  No full refund - no FVF credit.  Your buyer didn't cancel - she returned.

@lucky   I'm not asking for opinions.  I am asking how to address this creative accounting issue I am looking at.  My invoice is charging me for two sales, neither of which happened.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply