cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero Feedback Buyers

eBay is a far more sophisticated site today than it was at its birth, but I also think it is a far more dangerous site today in some ways, too.

I am concerned about selling to zero feedback buyers who signed up on the same day they made a purchase.  Last year I had a brand new zero feedback buyer purchase an item.  I think s/he purchased as a guest.   I am not sure.  Anyway, the transaction was cancelled.  More recently, I had the same thing happen again with the same item, so I messaged the buyer and advised that because of the type of item s/he is purchasing, I have some concern that s/he is a zero feedback buyer who signed up today.  I asked the buyer if s/he would like to tell me anything more about herself/himself.  So far, no reply to my message.

I did an on-line search for the buyer's name and address, and I found the name and address.  This made me feel slightly better until I saw that the buyer is supposed to be 97 years old.  Sorry, but I cannot imagine any 97 year old would be on eBay buying a cosmetic item either for use or as a collectible.  

I am ready to cancel the transaction if there is no reply to my message.  As a seller, I am not eager to post an expensive item to someone who might be a scammer using someone else's name and address.  Suppose the buyer claims the item is a fake or the package was empty or some other lie?  I do not trust eBay and PayPal to protect me as the seller.  I have heard about too many scams and seen too many videos on YouTube.  I shall never forget one poor young man who was actually the legit buyer of some mobile phones who once he received his purchases opened empty boxes in one case and broken items in another.  He opened his packages on-line to do an "unboxing" video.  I do not know if he ever recovered his money or not.

Please no one tell me that we were all zero feedback buyers at one point in time.  I know this, but things have changed a lot on eBay in the last 20 years, and I think it is prudent to ask these these questions these days, especially if the buyer does not reply to messages.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Zero Feedback Buyers

I started selling and have had multiple people bid and win items only to not pay with zero feedback/accounts made the day of purchase.  They make the ebay account the same day and seem to bid on toys.  Today I had one sell to a "O' buyer and am afraid to ship it because of fear they will scam me in some way...say the item is wrong, damaged etc.  Any ideas on how to protect myself as a Buyer?  I will take the advice to reach out and try to make contact...the shipping address is to a PO box as well.  I don't have a good feeling about this.  I wish there was something Ebay could do about this.  I am just trying to clear my closets...not become a large vendor here.  CRazy 

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

A 97 y.o. buying cosmetics? It takes a lot of Revlon pancake to cover these liver spots.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@sold_broken_fixed_used_or_new 

The problem isn't 0FB buyers, it's Auctions.

Many don't understand that they are bidding in an auction, or don't understand how an auction works, including the time factor.

They don't win immediately, so they wander off and buy elsewhere.

At Fixed Price.

If half your auctions are only attracting 0FB and those don't pay, you are saying that half your auctions go unsold.

There is a reason why 85% of transactions are Fixed Price. And why most Auctions also opt for a Buy It Now or a Best Offer, which end the Auction immediately.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Not only was your response Not helpful, it was condescending and full of assumptions going only one way. Her questions and concerns are absolutely valid. Scammers are on every platform, scamming all kinds of items of all values. I am here cause of a concern I myself have and your reply was not only not helpful, but a bit annoying as well. Imho, If you can't put yourself in someone else's shoes so to speak or give actual solutions/opinions instead of lecturing, you may be better of not responding at all. Just my 2. No disrespect. All the best.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

I’ve been actively selling for over a decade as well and while not every new buyer is bad about 90% of my bad buyers are new which is what lead me to this thread. I want to ban all 0% buyers

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

This isn't meant as a rebuke to you (or maybe it is), but I am nearly 89 and still buy makeup (just not on eBay).

So maybe the cutoff is 97? 

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply